1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2014 Ram 2500 front end sag

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by ktfbgb, Feb 7, 2016.

1. ktfbgb

ktfbgb Senior Member

Hey guys just want to post this as info for anyone else looking to put a plow on their Ram. I Have a 2014 Ram 2500 with the Cummins in it. I just put a brand new 8.5' Meyer Super V2 plow on the truck. The plow weighs 950 lbs. The spec for the center of the clevis on the mount to the ground is 11.25 inches. Unloaded without the plow on it sits at 8.25 inches. So, the cutting edge doesn't sit square on the ground but rather rides on the rear of the cutting edge because it's so low. Looks like I might be able to gain another inch on the mount before hitting the inner cooler, bringing me up to 9.25. So, I ordered a set of TufTruck HD coil springs that act as both a 2.5 leveling kit and a heavier spring. The factory springs on the front are rated at 3280 lbs each. The new springs are rated at 5000 lbs each. So, with that extra 2.5 inches I should be right at spec for the clevis height which will square up the cutting edge with the he ground. Also when you do the leveling don't forget to either get longer shocks or get a set of shock extensions and use the factory shocks. I just got the new shocks. Just wanted to give a heads up to guys so they can include this in their budget when putting a HD plow on their truck.

2. lawnboy2121

lawnboy2121 Senior Member

I put a 2" leveling kit on mine with factory springs . I have a fisher 9.6 xv2 on it . The front only drops 1 " when I lift the plow. The meyers plows hang low on the trucks. All u need is a leveling kit to make it work heavier springs only make the ride harder than it needs to be

3. ktfbgb

ktfbgb Senior Member

Well we will have to see. I already ordered the new coil springs. Your sig says you have ford super dutys. The ram trucks are notorious for saggy front ends especially with the Cummins on them. When I lifted my plow the front sagged 3 inches. I went off of searches on this forum and what guys said about the TufTruck springs on the Rams. They all said that even with the plow off it greatly improved the ride and handling of the truck. Hopefully I will have the same experience.

4. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Huh, strange indeed.

I have a '14 2500 HD and it only dropped maybe 2" when I raised my plow.....a Blizzard 8611LP.

I added air bags just to help oot a bit. Not really necessary, but it rides much better.

Yes, it's a Cummings, plus a crew cab. No adjustments needed at all to get my mount at the right height.

5. JustJeff

JustJeff 2000 Club Member

Not sure why you're having this problem. I've got a '13 Ram with a thousand pound plow on mine. Front end drops an inch, and my plow sits level. Cummins as well.

6. ktfbgb

ktfbgb Senior Member

Ok so I had the plow installed at the dealer yesterday. Today I went to move the frame up a notch to get another inch. Found that the bolts were only hand tight. Checked all the bolts on the mount and they were all this way. So I torqued everything to factory spec. Plow sits a lot more square now and I'm at 9 inches of clearance. Still need two more. But the front only sags one inch now. When I was measuring before I was almost getting three. That's because everything was freaking loose! I can't believe this. I already ordered the new coil springs to give me the 2 inch level. If the ride is too stiff I'll switch back to factory springs and just do a normal level kit with the coil spacers. What a bunch of crap. Headlights don't work right, the trip edge springs weren't tensioned, and none of the moldboard hardware was torqued either. I'm pissed. Paid $8,200 for the thing with install, tax, and deflectors. They are an authorized dealer and do warranty work. You would think they would do it right.

7. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

Make a list of all the items you found that were hosed up before you blaze into the dealer with the goal of getting some type of refund on the install. They completely hosed up from what you're saying, hand tight mount fasteners, plow not "setup" and trips springs not tensioned. Both you and they are very lucky the plow didn't fall off the truck.

Sorry to he about your misfortune. A way to avoid this in the future is to install yourself or be more diligent when going over the install/setup at the dealer and going through it when you get home.

8. JustJeff

JustJeff 2000 Club Member

What Buff said. That was a completely botched install. I'd go back and raise holy hell. They could have gotten you or somebody else injured/killed, or done a lot of damage to your truck or something else.

9. ktfbgb

ktfbgb Senior Member

Good idea on the list. Might forget something when I go in there and start raising hell.

10. lawnboy2121

lawnboy2121 Senior Member

I have a 2015 ram 3500 with a 9.6 fisher xv2 on it . I also have the fords the ram is new

11. Ramitt

Ramitt Senior Member

Another reason I dont let dealers touch my truck.. At least if I screw something up I know its my own fault... Anyway The cummins front ends are heavy with the cummins alone coming in at about 1,200lbs it puts.. One thing that I hate about the newer trucks.. Front ends are low to provide better aerodynamics and for crash protection... I run an older cummins with the front end much higher.. Also has a 2.5in leveling kit which is actually a little bit too high for my dxt but as far as drop when the plow is on isnt very much!

Mine was ordered with the snow plow prep option so it has a little beefier front end.. Does yours have the package?

12. ktfbgb

ktfbgb Senior Member

Unfortunately it didn't have the plow prep package. I didn't order the truck. When I bought it I was pissed at my old truck as it was a half ton that I was using as a heavy duty for my construction business. The breaks started grinding after I put brand new pads and rotors six months prior. I pull my tool trailer 5 days a week. So I went right to the dealer and bought what they had on the lot. Next truck will have the plow prep to make it easier.

13. Mark Oomkes

Mine came from California, no plow prep.

14. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

You wanted the "rainbow edition" to haul your unicorn around didn't you.....:waving:

15. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

What did the plow dealer have to say for themselves?

16. Sawboy

Sawboy PlowSite.com Addict

I wasn't aware Russo Power Equipment had locations outside of Illinois

17. ktfbgb

ktfbgb Senior Member

Buff they apologized profusely. As soon as I told them what happened they had a guy pull a skid steer out of one of the bay's and pulled my truck in and started working on it right then and there. Since they seemed genuine about their apology and worked in it right away I didn't push it any further as they are the only place in town really to go to. I didn't want to burn any bridges in case I need their help in the future. The torqued the rest of what I didn't get to and fixed the lighting. Turns out they put a HID module on instead of a halogen module.

18. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

You really don't get anywhere going in hot, I've found this oot a couple times. Sounds like you played it the way it should have been and they reacted they way they should have.Thumbs Up

19. Mark Oomkes

Tell ReToad that.

20. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo