1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2014 ram 1500 hts install

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by dstifel, Nov 8, 2014.

1. dstifel

dstifel Senior Member
    from Iowa

Installing the western hts on my. 14 ram1500 tomorrow. Wondering if anyone has any tips suggestions pointers for the process. Thanks !

2. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

Install the mount first then remove headlights and install vehicle side electrical next but leave the cab controller end of the control harness in the eng compartment until everything else is finished. (This allows you to stand beside the plow with the controller in had, with a jumper to battery +, while you test and look for psr leaks)
    When the truck side is done measure the height of the mount so you know where to set the configuration height. Now put the a-frame on the truck and then attache the blade to the a-frame and install the angle ram pins. When everything is done and working run the controller cable through the firewall and connect the lose red wire to an ignition controlled fuse with a fuse tap (a little metal thing that hooks under the pin of an existing fuse). Tie the end of the controller cable off on the right side of the dash, just above the gas pedal so that about 5 inches of wire hangs down. Enough to connect easily but not enough to get caught in your feet. If you have the handheld controller you can mount the hanger on the dash but I don't because the two screws make a mess, I just hang the controller over the shifter handle.
    Note that on dodges the headlights can be a bugger to come out. There are two bolts in front and then a nasty clip that you have to get at through the fender well. There is a little flap in front of the front tires where you have to reach in and slide this little plastic locking tab. Even after you find it and slide it you have to pull hard to get the lights out.
    Download the installation instructions from the Western website for step by step details.
    http://library.westernplows.com/ddcommon/dd_pdf/pdfs/69384.01_110109.pdf
    HTS is an oddball compared to all the other ultra-mounts.

3. dstifel

dstifel Senior Member
    from Iowa

May be a stupid question but where is my fuse panel. Also my cord for the controller has a 4 pin female terminal about half way up it. Any idea what that is for? Thanks

4. mishnick

When you open the headlight harness kit you will find a booklet with a couple good diagrams showing an overview of the wiring.
    There are two square four pin plugs on the control harness. One, at the end, is marked "bat" and connects to the battery cable. The other plug connects to the headlight harness which connects to the two headlights, signal and marker wires.
    Your fuse box is probably under the hood on the drivers side. Older vehicles have fuse boxes under the dash on the drivers side.

5. dstifel

dstifel Senior Member
    from Iowa

Hey appreciate all the help. Got it all up and running just have to tidy up some wires and put the grill back in. Hopefully she makes a good driveway truck for me.

6. dstifel

dstifel Senior Member
    from Iowa

Is there a headlight adjustment? My seem to be pointed down pretty bad. Looked quick tonight when I got home but pretty dark to see.

7. Psipressure

Psipressure Junior Member

There are 2 or 3 bolts under each headlight. Loosen and use those to adjust. Tighten when finished

8. mishnick

Nighthawk headlamps have two 3/4 nuts under each lamp. Loosen both and you can move the lights vertically and horizontally. Best to do on a flat road at night. Set lights to high beam when adjusting.