1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2014 gmc 2500 need gussets??

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by snowcrazy, Jan 24, 2014.

1. snowcrazy

snowcrazy Senior Member
    from ohio

Hello all, I have a few of the older chevys that I added gussets to for fear of the cracking frame problem. Are the newer frames in need of the gussets (2014?)

Also Ive never bought brand new before. Im curious, I see there is a recall on the 2014 gmc trucks for some sort of fire hazard. Anyways, Im just curious if I go buy a new one next week if this has already been fixed since its on there lot???? I will surely ask but hate to buy one if it already has a recall I have to deal with.

2. 32vld

32vld Senior Member
    from LI, NY

I remember correctly people posted that GM has made the recent trucks stronger so the need to reinforce the frame is gone. I do not remember which year.

3. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

2013 has a totally different frame than the older generation trucks- I don't believe there is any need for gussets on the 2011 and up HD trucks

4. FSUPERDUTY

FSUPERDUTY Senior Member

2011 and up real beefy fully boxed!

5. skostur79

skostur79 Member
    from ne ohio

recall is on 14- 1500's for the fire reprogram
    and 11 up frames 2500 beefed

6. ServiceOnSite

ServiceOnSite Senior Member

Whats the fire program all about?

7. 2006Sierra1500

2006Sierra1500 PlowSite.com Addict

Computer error on the half ton 4.3s and 5.3s, caused engine parts to heat up excessively if left idling or run hard. Reduced engine power message would appear first as one of your only warning signs. Then, your truck disappears.

8. skostur79

skostur79 Member
    from ne ohio

Important: This recall is to be performed on involved vehicles in dealer inventory immediately.

Until the repair can be performed, do not let the vehicle idle unattended for more than a few minutes, and do not let the vehicle idle in or next to a building or structure.Vehicles involved in this recall were placed on stop delivery January 10, 2014. Once the service procedure contained in this bulletin has been performed on the vehicle, the vehicle is released from stop delivery and the vehicle can be delivered to the customer. All involved vehicles that are in dealer inventory must be held and not delivered to customers, dealer traded, or used for demonstration purposes until the repair contained in this bulletin has been performed on the vehicle.
    Customers will be advised to contact their dealer to have their vehicle towed to the dealership if their vehicle exhibits the condition, which is the illumination of the Check Engine light and an “Engine Power is Reduced” DIC message.

Condition
    General Motors has decided that a defect, which relates to motor vehicle safety, exists in certain 2014 model year Chevrolet Silverado 1500 and GMC Sierra 1500 vehicles, equipped with a 4.3L engine (LV1/LV3) or 5.3L engine (L83). When these vehicles are idling in cold temperatures, some of the exhaust components may overheat. If this were to occur, the yellow Check Engine light will illuminate and the “Engine Power is Reduced” message will appear in the Driver Information Center (DIC). If there is enough heat, it could melt plastic parts in the area, resulting in a possible engine fire.

Correction
    Dealers are to reprogram the engine control module to modify the Power Management Mode software in order to prevent the condition.

there are as of today 22 campaigns on the 14 1500's

nothing like a well engineered product out of the gate