1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2014 ford f150

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by Aleck, Nov 11, 2014.

1. Aleck

Aleck Junior Member

Hey Guys

Would anyone know where I could take the power for my Western plow that I have installed on my truck? It is best to take it direct from the battery and put it on a toggle switch?

Thanks

Aleck

2. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

The motor power should come from the battery + post or clamp. But the little red wire that comes off the control harness should tie into an ignition controlled circuit. You didn't say what kind or year of truck you have so its hard to specify. Late model Dodge and Ford have the fuse box under the hood on the driver's side. Older GMs have a fuse box under the dash above the driver's feet or on the end of the dash accessible with the driver's door open. Use a test light to find a fuse or an empty fuse socket that is hot only when the key is on. Go to your local vehicle parts store and buy a fuse tap (a brass thing that hooks under one leg of the fuse) and tie your red wire to that device. Be sure to connect to the "output" side of the fuse so the plow is protected. I like to use a spare socket if there is one available. This way, when you add a fuse, it is a dedicated circuit so when it blows you loose nothing else. If you tie into an existing fuse don't use ABS, engine control unit or any other safety or critical system. If you do tie into, ABS for example, when the plow blows the fuse you loose your ABS brakes, not cool. If you must share a fuse select one like the radio or auxiliary plug.

3. Aleck

Aleck Junior Member

My truck is a ford f150 2014 as the heading said. The plow company who installed it doesnt feel like tying into my fuse panel as they are not sure where to grab power from. They want to take it from the battery and add a toggle switch to power it up. They are afriad it may cause problems.

Thanks

Aleck

4. jimbo64

jimbo64 Senior Member

I think I would be concerned if I had a plow installed by a "plow company" and they are not sure where to get power from !!

5. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Are you referring to "ignition hot" power?

6. mishnick

I work for an "authorized western dealer" and we tie into the fuse box on virtually every install. Sometimes customers ask to be connected through an upfitter switch but normally we just tie into the fuse box. If your installer is afraid to tie into the fusebox then I would be afraid to let them touch my truck at all!!!! Run Away....

7. Aleck

Aleck Junior Member

Apparently the new fuse panels on the 2014 f150 have smaller fuses and are not that easy to install a lead too it. That's what they are saying.

Aleck

8. Aleck

Aleck Junior Member

Mishnick have you ever worked on a new 2014 f150? Is it possible to use a fuse which is not being used? I only use the plow for my personal driveway. It is a western poly plow.

Thanks

Aleck

9. mishnick

Yes I prefer to use blank fuse sockets. This way you have a dedicated fuse for the plow.

10. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

on my 2015 Chassis under the dash is some extra wires One of the wires is a accessory wire had a tag on it Thats where I tied the little wire in

Wonder the OP F150 Ford has the extra wires under the dash