1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2014 charge issues

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by GA73, Jan 28, 2015.

1. GA73

GA73 Member

ive got a 2014 2500 work truck with the plow package. anyone else having issues with the variable charge alternator? soon as I hit the plow the volt meter drops and stays around 9 volts. the plow itself slows as do the rest of the electronics in the truck. have already cooked a blower motor and the dash cluster has went to hell
    im wondering with everything starving for juice what else will burn out

2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Start reading threads. Like 7 now on charging issues on gms

3. Rick547

Rick547 Senior Member
    from Indiana

How old is your battery?

Forget it has to be less than 2 years old. I can't read.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2015
  4. GA73

GA73 Member

there are a lot of post about charging on here but none of them pertain to the computer controlled charge from the alternator.

5. dieselss

That's how the alternator charges now,,,,from the pcm.
    The "delay" in activation is the problem.

6. GA73

GA73 Member

so thanks for telling me what I already knew. if you are so smart what is the solution to cure the problem?

7. dieselss

Easy killer. I was just saying what I know. I wasn't sure what your post was getting at.

8. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

9. sagent

sagent Junior Member

Same type of problem on my 2011. Installed a second battery which helped some. I have read if you leave it in tow / haul mode it bypasses the battery current sensor and it seems to work. When I start my truck and raise my plow the volatge holds at 14+ volts the alternator seems to keep up with the load. If you drive the truck for 5 minutes and do the same thing the voltage will drop to about 12 volts or less. Absolutley the most idiotic system designed. This should not have been equipped on snowplow prep trucks. I don't see how you can get around it even if you intstalled a higher amp alternator if the body control module controls everything. There must be a way to tune it out like the performance guys do with the torque management on the PCM

10. Plowtoy

Plowtoy Senior Member

Thats the only thing I could think of. Find someone who can reprogram that out of the PCM. Im sure its in there for fuel consumption. An altornator under load takes more to spin than on not under load...

11. GA73

GA73 Member

dealer is saying the same add a battery but in my opinion that's just a band aid on the problem. plowed for twenty some years having a 160 amp alternator has always been enough juice to run everything while plowing

12. BRETTMAN23

BRETTMAN23 Member
    from ohio

contact www.gmupfitter.com it is the 220 amp alternator. They are working on a fix with me now. there going to have the dealer wire in some kind of pigtail. the only other thing to do is downgrade to the 150 amp alternator.

13. So is there a concerted effort on GM's part to solve this? I know that Fisher is working with them to solve the issue. It is happening on my'15 GMC 2500HD and is very annoying when the dash and radio go dark when operating the plow.

14. BRETTMAN23

BRETTMAN23 Member
    from ohio

15. Ianscape

Ianscape Junior Member

I must have the 150amp on mine. I have a 2014 LT2 extended cab with a 7.5' MM1 and the only thing I notice is a brief climate control blower fan speed drop