1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2014 Auto Dimming Mirrors - disable ???

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by scottL, Sep 25, 2015.

1. scottL

scottL PlowSite.com Addict

first season coming up with the new Ram 2014, crew, short bed for plowing. The problem I'm facing is how to DISABLE the automatic dimming mirrors.

There is nothing on it in the owners manual. No setting in the console control. No button on the mirror itself. Dodge says they know of know way - but they won't contact their engineering either.

Sooooo anyone know how to DISABLE the automatic dimming mirrors???

They basically turn black at night when there is any light behind me so backing up is a dangerous option. :angry:

2. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

The side mirrors?

3. scottL

Side and rear mirrors.

4. jhenderson9196

jhenderson9196 Senior Member

Glad I bought a tradesman

5. LiquidLife

LiquidLife Junior Member

Collision, lawsuit and retire! That's how I'd handle that problem....

6. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

They do?

My rear view I can tell a bit, but not the exteriors. Never had a problem last season.

7. scottL

Yeah. Apparently 2014 and the features group they did away with a button on the mirror to disable the auto dim. ( How stupid ). Nice truck otherwise.

There must be a fuse to pull or wire to cut.... :cry::dizzy:

8. k1768

k1768 Senior Member
    from NJ

You try the Dodge upfitter website for a wiring diagram? Is there a plug to remove at the light sensor?

9. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Mine is a 14, lariat. Mine never went black or so dark I couldn't see out of them.

10. MXZ1983

MXZ1983 Senior Member

Did you look through the settings and driving assistance settings in your 8.4" screen in the dash? It's under controls.

11. nixray

nixray Senior Member

Could just remove and store the OEM mirror. Neatly hide the wires. And install a Aftermarket manual dimmer mirror?

12. MXZ1983

MXZ1983 Senior Member

I just walked out to my truck and did this and it worked.

13. scottL

Responses....

No wire to unplug. I would have to figure out how to remove wiring from both sides and rear mirrors.

I have not found an accurate fuse diagram either. Dealer is worthless too.

I have the smaller Nav screen and there is no setting to control the auto dim. Not uncommon to have different features between the 8 and 4" screens.

Keep in mind this feature auto dims the rear mirror and BOTH side mirrors. Mine goes near total darkness.

The dealer tells me that this is a new setup and that they feel there is no reason it doesn't work perfect. HA. It's horribly to dimming at night it's like seeing two dots of light and total blackness otherwise.

I appreciate all the thoughts!

14. MXZ1983

MXZ1983 Senior Member

Sorry didn't know you had the smaller screen.
    Mine all dim as well on my Ram,but only when traffic is behind me so there is a separate sensor.

15. scottL

So the fix...... a 1.5" piece of black tape across the solar sensor in the rear mirror. This seems to keep the auto dimming mirrorS from doing much at all. So 45k truck, .001 cent of tape.