1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2014-2015 Chevy/ GMC 1500 1/2 ton plow selection help

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by coke813, Aug 24, 2015.

1. coke813

coke813 Member

Hi, I have searched multiple threads and can only find limited information about the "new" style GM trucks. I'm hoping to centralize the information so future people can find it better than I did. I recently bought a 2015 Silverado Z71 Crew Cab with the 5.3 liter. I know its not a HD plow truck, I'm really only looking to do my driveway and maybe a few neighbors. I previously had a 1998 1500 with a Western, so I have experience plowing with a 1/2 ton and did not have too much difficulty.

The issue I'm having is trying to decide which plow to go with. The local dealers don't know a lot about the "new" trucks, and even less about the 1500 models. I am hoping to get some advice & photos from you guys who have installed a plow on the 2014 and newer half ton trucks. I have Hiniker and Boss dealers nearby, also Western but I'm leaning toward the first two. I am aware that Boss sells a replacement Valence with notches cut out of it. Any thoughts on those?

If you have any advice or tips and tricks regarding the front valance/ lower bumper/ air dam that has to be trimmed, I'd love to hear it. I think I've decided to get a leveling kit. I'm not sure if the 2" front lift can help avoid having to cut anything or not. I see a lot of guys use the timbrens also, I'm not convinced I need those if I use the leveling kit.

So please post if you have any experience with the new 1/2 ton trucks. I'm not interested in the 2500 or 3500, since those have different frames and bumpers, and they are not applicable to my situation. Any photos of your installation would be appreciated. I hope this provides a resource for others who come across the same issues I have found.
    Thanks for any help, and safe plowing!

2. jerseydrew

jerseydrew Senior Member
    from jersey

the mount is the same since 2007 so mechanically any half ton snow plow will fit the only difference will come into play with the electrical connections. any good snow plow dealer will put it right on.

plows on the newer half tons will kill ball joints so keep spares on hand if you are commercially plowing.

otherwise it is a great setup. i had the western HTS and i got it because the receivers could be removed during the summer for full ground clearance.

3. coke813

coke813 Member

jerseydrew, alright, i looked agian. It appers that Boss and Western have the same push plates on the '14 & '15 models as the '07 to '13 models. But Hiniker does list a different model number the new model years. Maybe the truck frames are the same. The main difference is the bumper configuration on the last 2 model years- there is extra plastic trim that hangs down lower than on the older trucks, and that had to either be trimmed, removed, or ??? that's what I'm looking for help with.
    http://www.hiniker.com/snow_products/productmanuals.html

4. jerseydrew

jerseydrew Senior Member
    from jersey

on GM trucks (except the 15 silver ado HD) there is a lower trim that is removable and will look better and less cutting with it removed. you almost always have to cut something to make plow mounts fit. on my 07 western wanted me to cut half the number off for clearance. i notched out where the actual mounts were and removed the lower lip and you couldn't even tell anything was there.

5. coke813

coke813 Member

I was able to get these photos directly from Boss. This is the installed mount with a cut "stock" bumper.

IMG_3328.jpg

IMG_3329.jpg

IMG_3328.jpg

IMG_3329.jpg

6. coke813

coke813 Member

This is the Boss mount installed with the replacement bumper insert you can purchase from them.

Trim Kit Installed.jpg

0424141256a.jpg

Trim Kit Installed.jpg

0424141256a.jpg

7. coke813

coke813 Member

I have 2 photos of a Western mount bracket installed on a 2500. Not exactly the same, but the bumper is a similar shape. The guy I talked to said that when the receivers are removed for "off season", you don't lose any ground clearance. The part of the frame that stays on the truck is actually higher than the plastic skirting on the bumper. They make a HTS (half ton slowplow) that is lighter for personal use. I am leaning toward this setup right now, but I still would love to see an HTS mount installed on a 1500.

9-3 010.jpg

9-3 016.jpg

8. jerseydrew

jerseydrew Senior Member
    from jersey

i had an HTS on my last 1500 but it was the previous body style. i removed the lower lip and barely had to cut anything for the western to fit.

9. coke813

coke813 Member

Here's a follow up just in case anyone else is looking for info on the 1500 bumpers. I decided to go with a Western because of the removable receivers. here are some photos of my truck Before the install, after the install, and with the receivers removed. hope that helps someone out!

Bumper A.jpg

Bumper B.jpg

Bumper C.jpg

Bumper A.jpg

Bumper B.jpg

Bumper C.jpg

10. jerseydrew

jerseydrew Senior Member
    from jersey

looks great and the HTS is a good plow just doesn't like to back drag that well

11. ATS1

ATS1 Junior Member

I recently purchased a 2014 GMC Sierra Denali. I'd only be using the plow for my own residential purposes (200 yards of my and in-laws driveway). Was leaning to the Boss because of the bumper insert, but more importantly, what do you guys think of the HTX line? I was looking at the stainless option, but found the stainless steel relatively thin compared to the poly blade. I got a few pics from Boss on Sierra 1500 and a 2500, but nothing on a Denali. Lots questions...any thoughts for this rookie?

12. coke813

coke813 Member

When I started my search I was leaning toward a Boss HTX because it seemed like a nice blade and nice mount. But I used to have an old Western on my old truck and it held up well for me. In the end I though the Western & Boss were pretty much equal options but the one benefit Western had was the removable receivers.
    For the moldboard thickness, I think all the steel ones I have seen are 14 ga, whether its painted or Stainless. It sounds thin, but I never dented my old one. The cutting edge does all the work so I don't think that's an issue.
    Honestly, I would tell you to choose which ever one you like the mount better, they are both going to clear your driveway just fine.

13. Dragnet767

Dragnet767 Junior Member

How about this one, I have a 2012 Chevy Silverado and bought a 2803 Hiniker plow last fall for it. Now, I just bought a new 2015 Chevy Z71. Does anyone know if this 2803 plow will fit the new truck? Thx.

14. jerseydrew

jerseydrew Senior Member
    from jersey

frame is same... wiring is probably different.

15. Dragnet767

Dragnet767 Junior Member

Sweet! Thx Jerseydrew! The frame size was my biggest concern.

16. Dragnet767

Dragnet767 Junior Member

I'll post pics after it's done.

17. jerseydrew

jerseydrew Senior Member
    from jersey

by that i meant frame on trucks are same. all other companies are using same part numbers for 07-current so i would be hard pressed to think the mount would be any different.

18. Dragnet767

Dragnet767 Junior Member

I'll know for sure in the morning when I can call the place that installed it and will have to swap it to the new truck. If it fits. But like you said from what I have read I'm sure it will.

19. coke813

coke813 Member

I had someone PM me asking for photos of my mount attachment, but I can't figure out how to put photos in a PM message. So Jamie, this is for you.
    if you want to see something specific that's not in these pictures, let me know and I'll try to get another photo.
    Thanks,
    Andy

20160104_085753.jpg

20160104_085817.jpg

20160104_085821.jpg

20160104_085832.jpg

20160104_085718b.jpg