1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2013 Ram 3500 Mega/ Plow frame mounting height?

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by Diesel Bob, Feb 2, 2014.

1. Diesel Bob

Diesel Bob Member

Recently purchased a New 2013 Ram 3500 Mega Cab/Cummins Single Rear wheel, looking to level it out with a 2.5 leveling kit and run 35/12.5/18 tires. My question is: will the front end height be to high for the truck side plow frame mount to hook up to the plow or is there enough adjustment on these frame mounts? Interested in installing a Western Wideout even if the chart says you should not.
    Thanks in advance for any help with this.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2014
  2. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

I have installed some plows on trucks with leveling kits. I don't recommend putting a V plow on because if the truck is too high it will wear the cutting edges round. A straight blade will deal with it better. It's hard to say if it's too high until you get the truck side mount on so you can measure it. Every type of mount is different in it's relationship to the truck. If you could find another same model truck with a Western mount you could measure the relationship between a point on the frame and the measuring point on the mount. Then you could measure that same point on your frame to know where the mount will end up.
    This link on page 5 shows how to measure the mount elevation to determine which configuration option
    http://library.westernplows.com/westernplows/pdffiles/43183.00_051513.pdf Page 6 shows the configuration table. 14.5 inches is the maximum height they recommend to that measuring point on page 5. If you are a bit higher it's not the end of the world but not ideal. The goal is to have the A-frame parallel to the ground. If the A-frame slopes down to the blade the truck will jump up when you hit something. If it slopes down to the truck the truck will be pushed down when you hit a pile and of course if the angle is extreme even a straight blade cutting edge will wear round. (will wear faster on the outside edges)

3. Diesel Bob

Diesel Bob Member

Thanks Mishnick, I was looking at the pivot plate hole position chart on page 5 and position 3 goes up to 19 inches. So can my frame height (d) be as high a 19 inches and everything will still line up?

4. mishnick

You r correct it is max 19 to the top of mount. I am blind and using my phone to look this up so my screen is small. Sorry for the confusion. So yes if measurement "D" is 19 then everything will work fine.
    But one thing I remember from the last leveling kit I installed over was the need to remove a part that moved the sway bar mount back for the leveling kit but it seemed to work ok.

5. Diesel Bob

Diesel Bob Member

Thanks again for your help it is much appreciated.

6. mishnick

Keep in mind that the link I gave you was to a new Ultra-mount II. If you buy a used original Ultra Wide-out it will have the first generation configuration system, that is four holes on the configuration plates. Here is a link: http://library.westernplows.com/westernplows/pdffiles/50581.02_041510.pdf Still 19" though so if this is within your truck height range it will work just as a new Ultra II. In fact, if your elevation is only 19 you could configure any Western Fleet Flex Ultra or Ultra II to run on your truck. The mount and the electrical are cross compatible.