1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2013 Ram 2500 with a real plow

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by tmlawncare, Oct 29, 2013.

1. tmlawncare

tmlawncare Member

Does anyone plow with a late model Ram 2500 diesel with a heavy plow. I was looking through he Boss website and they only recommend a standard duty plow weighing roughly 550lbs. I was researching a little on the Ram site and it looks like you can run a 8'2"dxt (approx 850lbs) with the proper counterweight, roughly 400lbs. This would even out the load on the truck and take the added weight off the front axle. The counterweight can be as heavy as you want as long as you don't exceed payload. Wonder what everyones thoughts are on this.

2. BC Handyman

BC Handyman PlowSite.com Addict

what is your truck? reg cag,crew cab, duelly,short or long box, believe it or not it makes a differance to what plow you should buy.

3. jmac5058

jmac5058 Senior Member

You didnt get the memo ? Ram front ends suck , I would suggest the Snowbear site.

4. dcamp824

dcamp824 Member

That about sums it up!!

5. edgeair

edgeair Senior Member

Ah hah, the age old prejudice against Ram front ends rears its ugly head once again :gunsfiring:

As an owner of a 2004, 2004, 2004, 2011 and now a 2012, I can say that all the big 3 trucks front ends suck when you attach a diesel power plant on top of them. Ironically, I did my front end on the 04.5 workhorse (quad cab long box) before I put a plow on it at around 70K miles. I have now had a plow on it for 5 winters, and its at over 140k miles and still well within limits. Not too shabby for a plow truck. Many Fords and GMs wouldn't last that long (I did a front on an 07 GM at less miles than my Ram BTW :roll eyes:

On to the OP, when I put a Boss 8'2 V plow on my 04.5, the Boss site and one dealer told me you couldn't do it on a quad cab long box. Another dealer said he could, just that I should carry some ballast.

After 5 years, no problems - even without ballast. I usually carry a 100 gal tidy tank most of the time however.

Just get in touch with a dealer that can do it, I believe that they just got the install kit for an extended cab - the front ends are all the same.

6. Advantage

Advantage Senior Member

We run 9'2" V plows with 2 yard salters in our Dodge 2500s. I don't pay much attention to what is "recommended". A couple suspension mods and it's all good.

7. tmlawncare

tmlawncare Member

The truck is a 2013 Ram 2500 crew cab with Cummins. The has 5500lbs axle rating.

8. tmlawncare

tmlawncare Member

Advantage, the 2500's that you run the 9'2" v's on are they gas or diesel? Btw what suspension mods have you made and are they necessary?

9. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

I too have carried lots of plows on lots of 2500 Dodges as far back as Factory Snofighters the lightest being a 8 1/2 32 series Snoway straight blade on a 2005 (one season only, some eager beaver sold my Used Vee blade and left with nothing else to push:mad:) all the rest were vees from 8'6" lobo though a 10 ft Mega. Front ends haven't been an issue any more than any of the Chevy's or Fords around. They all have something that could be improved.

Now if it's the all new 13/14 diesel then nobody's carrying or experanced in anything.

Mounts and harnesses for the New Dodge diesel only recently became available. It has an entirely different frame/axles than the Gassers. We have some under body shots on our Facebook page. Everything about this truck SCREAMS heavy duty.

I would guess your model truck is limited by the FVMSSA rather than the engineers.

The 105 brake certification doesn't take ballast into consideration, testers test in a default condition, why you have to turn your OD off rather than on. The government testers would never turn it on and so the manufacturer would have a lower fleet fuel average. If it's a crew cab they consider the available extra gross weight capacity of the vehicle with a passenger in every seat there is a belt for.

This is one of the reason Gassers are developing a resurgence among plow contractors. Todays gassers are giving the kind of torque diesels were developing 10 years ago and a lower ratio rear helps even more, the fuel costs are evening out, maintenance is higher on the diesels, the extra weight particularly with the Crew Cabs hurts for plow selection or at the weigh stations. There is a growing opinion they don't balance on the cost sheet either.

Of course if you do a lot of heavy towing or long highway runs a diesel is still the king.

10. tmlawncare

tmlawncare Member

Basher, your thoughts on the 8'2" Boss DXT on the 2013 crew cab diesel with 500lbs of ballast. The DXT is around 860lbs.

11. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Long or short bed? 2500 or 3500? Mega cab?

Snoway approves of the Mega Vee (840 lbs) on the 2500 and the Revolution(865lbs) on the 3500.

12. tmlawncare

tmlawncare Member

2500 crewcab, shortbed, diesel

13. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

There in is the issue.

14. tmlawncare

tmlawncare Member

Sno way site says I can mount most anything on it. Yeah..

15. Advantage

Advantage Senior Member

Diesels. One is an extended cab long bed, other is a quad cab short bed. Timbrens are the only "mod"

16. nicksgarage

nicksgarage Junior Member

I have a 2010 2500 Ram Cummins and I ordered a 9'2" DXT for it. It should be in by next week. It only weighs 120 lbs more than my 8 ft superduty that I had on it, which barely moved my truck down when i lifted my plow up. I highy doubt and exra 120 will do anything.
    By the way, timbrens arent your only mod. I have 2.5 inch spacers in the front that accomodate the amount my truck squats with the plow on, timbrens are not necessary in my opinion.
    I'll chime back in when I get my plow and let you know how it handles.

17. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

You have not enhanced your suspension you have simply raised it.

Did you make sure your mount pin centers were the correct height to avoid smilie facing you wear edge?

18. nicksgarage

19. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

How mulch counter weight are you carrying?

20. nicksgarage

I never carried ballasts before for my old plow because I didn't need it. But I think with this new plow I'm gonna put 600 pounds of concrete bags on a pallet plus whatever bags of salt I'll be carrying for my walk behind spreader. It'll probably give me some nice traction too.