1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2013 Ram 1500 Express which plow is best ?

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by rld1965, Nov 12, 2013.

1. rld1965

rld1965 Junior Member

hi, this summer I recently traded in my 2006 dodge ram 1500 for a 2013 ram 1500 express quad cab 4x4 5.7 hemi . upon doing so when I traded in my 2006 ram to the dealer I told them I wanted to to keep my BOSS 7' sport duty poly plow so I can put it on my new 2013 ram . the dealer said no problem so they had taken the plow mounts off my 2006 dodge ram and I took everything home needed for my plow system . now is the time to put the BOSS plow on I was told by BOSS I can not put the BOSS plow on my new 2013 Ram truck because the 2013 Ram has electronic steering . WOW ! I went back to the dealer to straighten this mess out since they said I could put the plow on when I really could not do it .the dealer said put a plow on and they would honor my warranty ! well I found a few plow manufacturers who could install a plow on my truck even though I have this electronic steering. fisher is one company . I am looking at the Fisher 7'6" HT plow and the Fisher SD plow of same length . I just do not know which one to get ? any input on either would be helpful. I mainly do neighborhood paved driveways around 10 to 15 every snow storm .of the two plows mentioned which would be the better plow or can I not go wrong with either ? also I know western makes a 7'6" HTS plow for my truck and sno way also. if anybody has any helpful info on how any one of these new plows are I would greatly appreciate the info . thank-you rob

2. 2006Sierra1500

2006Sierra1500 PlowSite.com Addict

You really can't go wrong with either of them.

3. ramair2k

ramair2k Senior Member

The Fisher SD and HT are both nice plow with a few difference between them. I just had a HT installed yesterday. My dad has one on his truck for a year now and it plows very well for our intended purposes, i.e. non-commerical. Having said all that, if the Fisher eMatch doesnt show the SD as a model your truck can handle, then you will be hard pressed to find any dealer to install it for you and honor the warranty. I tried to get a SD on my silverado 1500 crew cab and no one would do it because Fisher does not recommend due to axle weight rating.

Either plow is a good choice, pick one and you wont be dissapointed.

4. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

I would go with the SD if the dealer will put one on your truck. The SD is a lot more rugged than the HT. I have had Fisher dealers tell me that.

5. ramair2k

ramair2k Senior Member

I know many say this about the HT and SD however when comparing side by side, what makes it more rugged than the HT. Chain vs. direct lift? 8 ribs vs. 6?? Confuses me all the time.

6. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

I'm going by what the dealer told me and to me the SD just appears more rugged. Plus, the SD has 73lb on the HT and the SD has 8 ribs like the HD.

7. bambislayer09

bambislayer09 Junior Member
    from MI

I just put a HTS on my truck the other day. Seems pretty solid and the hydros are suppose to be as rugged as the bigger more commercial plows. I have a 2013 ram quad cab also and it only squats about one inch when the plow is lifted and that's without timbrens or any other aftermarket mods. But be warned that the plow mounts hang very low to the ground, only about four inches of clearance with the plow sitting on the ground. I just took my truck in today to have a 2'' leveling kit put on. Feel free to ask me any questions about it. Good Luck and happy plowing!

8. rld1965

rld1965 Junior Member

. So you have a 1500 ram ? If so did they have to notch your front bumper the painted part or did they only notch the lower black air dam .

9. bambislayer09

from MI

They only cut the lower black piece, the lower painted part of the bumper was untouched. However the grill part in the bumper was removed for the two plow plugs.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2013
  10. bambislayer09

from MI

Heres a pic.

IMG_6998 (1).jpg

Last edited: Nov 22, 2013
  11. dispatcher8021

dispatcher8021 Junior Member

Can you please post a pic with the plow not mounted. I have been looking at getting a plow for my truck.

12. jstevens66

jstevens66 Senior Member

I would go with the SD or even an HD. I have an SD and kinda wish I got an HD. I still love the SD, but sometimes you wish you had the added weight of an HD. But, since you got a half-ton, go for a SD, your truck will hold it no problem.