1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2013 Dodge Ram 2500hd laramie projector beam headlight harnesss

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by FSUPERDUTY, Oct 5, 2013.

1. FSUPERDUTY

FSUPERDUTY Senior Member

Thinking of buying a new 2013 ram 2500hd. It has the projector beam headlights. According to my local plow dealer they don't have a headlight harness yet but it is do out at the end of the month! These trucks have been out since last fall with these headlights I find it hard to believe they are just coming out with a harness now?? Has anyone had to deal with this?

2. JustJeff

JustJeff 2000 Club Member

I've got a '13 Ram 2500 diesel. I'm not sure if you've got gas or diesel. I'm scheduled to have my plow installed a week from Monday. Basher mentioned something about this as well, but I'm not sure if it's only in the gas trucks or the diesels. I think he was telling me that this won't be an issue for the diesels. I honestly don't even know what "projector beam headlights" are, or if I have them!! Just hope I don't run into problems. My plow manufacturer is already behind on modifying the mounts for my '13, I guess they're different from the '12's. They stopped shipping all mounts for the '13's until they re-tooled them. They're supposed to have them done by now, but I haven't heard if they're shipping now or not.

3. FSUPERDUTY

FSUPERDUTY Senior Member

You have to have a Laramie or higher trim level to get the projectors. Anything below your fine.

4. JustJeff

JustJeff 2000 Club Member

And what exactly are these projectors? What do they do differently or better?

5. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

Most, if not all projectors look like eyeballs. They project the light instead of reflecting light. Its a much better set up.

6. FSUPERDUTY

FSUPERDUTY Senior Member

just a different style headlight,kinda looks like a clear tube like on a movie projector i guess

7. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

The diesels have their own specific frame, different from the Gas drives.

The headlights that are an issue are the new "shutter" style headlights, a single filament beam with a 'shutter" that controls the light disbursement pattern of the bulb instead of the two bulb/filament system we are accustomed to.

8. nealybird

nealybird Senior Member

yes, we have been waiting on the new harnesses for a few trucks as well. We have to have a couple of trucks come back that we did the mount on but couldn't do the wiring. Western said they had to have new plugs molded, so that's what is taking so long.

There are also new harnesses for new lights on the 2014 F150, and the 2014 Chevy 1500, and all three are different. We did get the Ford harness kits, but not the Dodges or Chevy's. I think the new lights are HID's.

9. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

I understand the plugs are a VW part (patented proprietary manufacturer) so they're available but than you have to make the system work;)

10. Western1

Western1 Senior Member
    from MI.

Nothing like making things more complicated!

11. FSUPERDUTY

FSUPERDUTY Senior Member

Any get the harness yet?

12. nealybird

nealybird Senior Member

just got them today for Dodges. still waiting on the chevy's, and we got the ford's a few weeks ago.