1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2013 Dodge 3500 srw Diesel vs Hemi

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by FIREMAN Q, Sep 16, 2013.

1. FIREMAN Q

FIREMAN Q Senior Member

looking for some thoughts...

I am shopping around for a new truck. would rather go with the D but looking at the cost difference I wonder if its worth it. I can get a loaded Hemi cheaper than a tradesman D.

I run a western wide out up front and a tornado in the back. Off season I do some towing with my landscape biz.

Any pro's and cons would be appreciated.

Can't wait for the snow!!!!!

2. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Beware of headlight options!!! If it has the shutter type high/low headlights no one has an adapter ready yet.

3. jhenderson9196

jhenderson9196 Senior Member

A diesel is nice but unless you really need it, too expensive. The up-front cost is just the beginning. Maintenance costs are more, fuel is more and the job pays the same no matter which motor you use. Working fuel mileage will be better on the diesel, but even with that it will take more than 150,000 miles to break even.

4. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Plus you give up HUGE amounts of front axle capacity. Dodge and Nissan are both bragging about thier new 1/2 ton diesels my question is, how much useable front axle capacity will there be? will they even be applicable for snowplow sevice?

5. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

Are you in a huge hurry to buy something? If not, just wait until 2014 when Dodge comes out with the 6.4L Hemi in their trucks. Huge horsepower, lots of torque and way less expensive than a diesel.

6. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Yeah buddy!!! only a $1400 upgrade:D My 2011 5.7 is looking a little ragged:rolleyes: I may have to trade it on one of those:nod:

7. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

Would you believe that they're not going to have that engine option in 3500 SRWs? 2500, 3500 dually and 4500 :dizzy:

8. FIREMAN Q

FIREMAN Q Senior Member

Thanks for all the replies. I'm not in a huge rush but want to take advantage of the left over market while I can and have enough time to get it set up for plowing.

After reading some things on the def here on the forum and fuel mileage I think I am really leaning towards the hemi....

Keep the pros and cons coming! Thanks guys

9. NYH1

NYH1 Senior Member

What trucks are they going to put the new 6.4L HEMI Engine in?

NYH1.

10. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

They will be in the 3/4 & 1 ton trucks as an optional engine, the 5.7 will still be the "base" V8 gas engine.

11. JustJeff

JustJeff 2000 Club Member

I've got a '13 Ram 2500 with a diesel. Just bought it so I haven't plowed with it yet, but will be shortly. All I can say is on general running around and on the highway I'm getting WAY better mileage than I did with my previous hemi. The DEF isn't a big deal. I've got almost 5K on mine and haven't had to fill the tank yet (although I'm about to). I bought two and a half gallons of it for 15.00 at Autozone and I believe the DEF tank only takes a gallon, so the cost isn't a big deal at all. I plan on keeping mine for a long time, so I wanted the longevity I'll get out of a diesel vs. gas. I also wanted the torque for plowing, and I've got 800 with the diesel, and I'm not sure of the exact numbers for the hemi, but I believe it's around 400 and change? I figure this way I can practically idle while plowing vs. running much higher rpm's in a gas vehicle, so while plowing the fuel savings should be relatively significant. But then again, my diesel was an almost 8K option, so saving that 8K would go a long way towards other expenses for a lot of people. There are a lot of pros and cons for both, it just depends on what YOUR applications and needs are going to be.

12. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Beware of the headlights. Some of the new trucks are using s single bulb shutter system for high/low beams and no manufacturer has a system to work with them yet. Dodge offers this as an option and is standard on the longhorn package.

13. FIREMAN Q

FIREMAN Q Senior Member

thanks again for all the input. I really wanted to go with the diesel because of the power and longevity. If all goes well I will be making the trip on Sunday to pick up a 2013 Ram 3500 CTD. Can't wait and I couldn't beat the price. with all the incentives and dealer discounts was able to knock 7K off the price.

14. JustJeff

Basher could you explain this a little more for me? I'm confused. And I just bought a Snowdogg XP from CPW which is to be installed on Columbus Day. They already had to call Snowdogg and explain that their existing mounts aren't working on the new Dodges so Dogg stopped shipping them until they get them adapted to the '13 Super Duties. I'm not familiar with what you're talking about at all, but foresee another future potential problem!

15. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

The gas drive and the diesel have separate frames. Mounts are not interchangeable.

Manufacturers are starting to use a system where instead of using two different bulbs for high/low changes they use a shutter to change the light diffusion pattern. As I understand it no one has yet released an adapter.

We have seen these on the Dodge Longhorn Diesel but understand there are other systems using it. How many effect the industry I don't know.

16. FSUPERDUTY

FSUPERDUTY Senior Member

The DEF tank holds about 5 Gallons!

17. JustJeff

I'm guessing that mine holds three gallons. I bought a jug from Autozone that was 2- 1/2 gallons, and just put it in my truck. The DEF gauge was on E and after putting in those two and a half gallons it showed a little more than 3/4 full. I had about 5,500 miles on the truck, so about 15.00 every five thousand or so isn't going to kill me.

18. FSUPERDUTY

FSUPERDUTY Senior Member

From what I have read the gauges read fast so you won't run out and go into limp mode.

19. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

The level doesn't work like a fuel tank. Their isn't a float, their are contacts that read the level in the tank. My best advice is to remove or disconnect it.

I haven't heard of to much problems with Ram, but the Chevy's had a freezing problems in the winter time. Remember, DEF is 66% water.

20. FIREMAN Q

FIREMAN Q Senior Member

Just to update because I know everyone has been waiting to see what I did..:laughing:

Went with the CTD. Found a 2013 and got a great deal on it. What a great truck. Very happy with my decision to go Diesel. Don't even know the trailer is there when towing.

Now just need a little snow to see how this truck really works!!