1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2013 Chevy 3500hd and vxt

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by Mr. Mud, Dec 30, 2013.

1. Mr. Mud

Mr. Mud Member

Just purchased a 2013 chevy 3500 HD and have a new 8'2" boss vxt coming this week. Finally had to retire another plow truck. Anyone have any pictures of how you trimmed the front plastic under the bumper and where you mounted the solenoid and other wiring under the hood? Just looking and wanted to see other installs to save some time before I do mine? There don't seem to be any new trucks around me to check out in person. Thanks, Mud!

2. scott3430

scott3430 PlowSite.com Addict

Check out my thread over in the pictures sub-forum. I have pics of what was cut out of my front bumper.

scott3430

3. Mr. Mud

Mr. Mud Member

Do you have a link or the name so I can search? Thanks, MUD

4. scott3430

My 2500 Duramax - is the name of the thread. Sorry I couldn't copy the link. It's towards the bottom right now of the pictures page.

5. Mr. Mud

Mr. Mud Member

Thanks, I found it last night searching through ALL of your posts. Looks like a nice job on the frame install. Any shots of where they mounted the wiring block and solenoid under the hood? Thanks, MUD

Also, do you have a shot of the pin connector and the power cable? I didn't see that placement in the pictures of the front end.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2013
  6. Mr. Mud

Mr. Mud Member

Every one is too busy to take a couple of pics that has a 2013 chevy????????????????

7. scott3430

Hey Mud - I'll take some pics this morning and post them here.

8. scott3430

The pin connector and power cable come through the wide slot in the bumper, my pic wouldn't host of that.

Here are the 2 that I was able to host:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

I really hate cutting these gm the way we do.

10. scott3430

^^^ Yeah it's too bad, but I just said oh well it is what it is. My installer said he cringed when he had to cut the bumper on my truck. Lol.

Not much we can do about it.

11. Mr. Mud

Mr. Mud Member

Thanks for the shots! I have the plow put together, the brackets mounted to the truck, the wiring harness half mounted because I couldn't find my hole saw last night. Still haven't decided where I am going to mount the plow to truck connectors yet, maybe on the bumper???????? I had 3 holes in the new plow brackets that didn't line up quite right, that took a lot longer to get installed than I wanted. I had a heck of a time getting the first head light out until I finally found a hidden screw inside the fender. Everything else has went pretty well. I still can't figure out how the dealers around me are charging 7K for a complete package installed though. Hopefully I get finished tonight, damn day job is getting in the way! MUD

12. CityGuy

CityGuy PlowSite Fanatic

Why can't they just make a plow bumper option just add it to the plow prep package? It would make life a lot easier.

13. Mr. Mud

Mr. Mud Member

Or a delete for the plastic crap and let the snowplow company you buy the new plow from have one formed to go around the brackets included in the price of the plow.

14. BossEric

BossEric Member

Mr. Mudd, is there another reason you had to pull the headlights out, other than the adapter install? We usually just pug them in without pulling a headlight. If you have a diesel, then you will have to pull the drivers side battery, plug the adapter. On the passenger just pull the air box up and out of your way enough to plug it in.( But I guess actually it's broad as it is long.) Just the way we do it, another option you have.

15. SnowGuy73

That'd be nice.

16. SnowGuy73

Right on, I like this idea.

17. Mr. Mud

Mr. Mud Member

After I pulled the top plastic shroud cover and then the grill, I was looking at the head lights and were to run the wiring neatly. With all of the protective things they have stuffed in there I just found it easier to remove the head lights(except for that one hidden bolt) to make it easier and neater for the wiring to run. Another thing I don't like is the battery being on the passenger side up against the cab. I had a heck of a time placing the solenoid and get the wiring to reach. Also, on the plow itself. The lift cylinder apparently changed but my directions were from before. The lift cylinder on the last 2 I owned had the hydraulic openings on opposite sides and the top hose you had to make an s shape out of the hose to attach, this one the inlets are on the same side so I was worried about them not matching my directions. I'm almost done. I have to drill the hole in the firewall yet(not looking forward to that-still looking for a good place) and haven't decided where to mount the connector box for the main hook ups under the bumper. MUD

18. scott3430

Mr. Mud - are you going to mount the solenoid on the drivers side next to the battery?

Also - my 13 pin plug and power plug don't go down underneath my bumper. Mine come out in the rectangle slot in the middle of the bumper. There just set in there loose for ease of hook up.

19. Mr. Mud

Mr. Mud Member

I mounted the solenoid on the passenger side right next to the battery. The battery on this one is in the rear of the engine compartment under the hood hinge on the passenger side. I've thought about leaving the hook ups loose in that area but I just can't make myself do it. I may fab up a bracket that I can bolt on to the X frame that stands infront of the radiator. Still thinking. MUD