1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2013 Chevy 2500HD

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by MidcoastMainiac, May 20, 2013.

1. MidcoastMainiac

MidcoastMainiac Member

I just bought a 2013 Chevy 2500HD that has the plow prep, towing prep, 6.0 gas engine. Thought it was coming through with the 6k lb front end. I was showing a buddy the truck over the weekend and noticed the sticker on the door said it had a 5200 lb front end. Called the dealer and they said they compared part number for part number to a 3500HD that does list a 6000 lb front end and they could not find any difference.

What/who do I believe? Am wanting the 6k lb front for the plow I want to hang on it.

Thanks

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

6000 lb FAWR is only available on Diesels. 5600 lb is as high as it goes on a gasser.

3. MidcoastMainiac

MidcoastMainiac Member

Thanks for the reply B&B. The question I now have is what part makes it a 6000 lb front end? Torsion bars? Axles?

4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Sometimes nothing is different other than the numbers on the door decal. Other times the torsion bars actually do differ, but they are the only thing that does regardless of the rated capacity. Everything else is the same, just like on the previous body styles.

5. 2006Sierra1500

2006Sierra1500 PlowSite.com Addict

Actually, you can get a gasser with the 6k. I believe any one ton has the 6k.

6. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

No sir. Not even a DRW gasser gets a 6000 lb FAWR. Has to be a Diesel.

7. 2006Sierra1500

2006Sierra1500 PlowSite.com Addict

8. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Then perhaps we should notify GM THEIR paperwork is incorrect or been changed (since 2011) which is certainly possible as I know not all 3500's automatically receive a 6000lb FAWR. Plenty of those running around here with the 5600 lb

2013.png

9. MidcoastMainiac

MidcoastMainiac Member

Where do I find the numbers from your chart B&B? Looking at my vin, I can not match anything up.

10. cjwoz

cjwoz Senior Member
    from CHICAGO

What I was told ( by a chevy dealer) is you can only get the 6000lb front axels with a diesel and it has to have snow prep option code VYU. I'm starting to think that not all dealers are on the same page.

11. leigh

leigh PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

What difference does it make? The diesel weighs 300 to 400lbs more than the gas,same carrying capacity.

12. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Here's the spec's for the 3500's. Examples are for regular cab but those for extended and crew cab apply as well. These are the base axle ratings, and options such as VYU (for example) increase them from there. As you can see 6000 lb isn't standard equipment either in SRW or DRW, gas or Diesel. 5600 lb is the rather commonly seen one though.

2013 3500HD.png

13. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

They won't match a specific VIN. The left column is the body configuration classifications GM uses as identification for the various body configurations available. And they are...

743 = Crew cab short bed
    753 = Extended cab short bed
    903 = Regular cab
    943 = Crew cab long bed
    953 = Extended cab long bed

14. MidcoastMainiac

MidcoastMainiac Member

Thanks for the replies.

Does buying a Chevy with a snow plow prep and/or trailer/heavy load package change the front end any over a truck that does not have those options?

Last edited: May 22, 2013
  15. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Absolutely, if you wouldn't have ordered plow prep (for example) your FAWR could be as low as 4400 lb (the base rating) depending on the specifics. Most 2500HD w/ plow prep will be either 5400 or 5600 for example. Again depends on the specifics though.

16. MidcoastMainiac

MidcoastMainiac Member

So what do they change to increase the FAWR?

17. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

We covered it already in post #4. :waving:

18. MidcoastMainiac

MidcoastMainiac Member

OK. I reread and am starting to understand(I think). I admit I must go over things a few times to understand.

If I understand correctly, I need to swap torsion bars from a diesel 3500HD to get my front end to get the 6k front end I wanted.

19. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Possibly but not necessarily. Depends on which bars it's equipped with now and I think this is where alot of the confusion comes from. Different axle ratings can have the same bars, the actual axle rating is made up of the trucks actual configuration (unladen weight already on the axle based on the trucks actual configuration basically) and can be different even with the same bars. Which is why I stated sometimes the only true difference is the numbers on the door decal.

If you get the code for the existing bars you can compare them to a truck with a 6000 lb axle rating. This will tell you if yours is already equipped with the same bars as one with the heavier rating. Thus no changes even required. Not saying that will be the case in your case. Simply stating that it isn't uncommon and hasn't been all through the years of torsion bar suspension.

20. MidcoastMainiac

MidcoastMainiac Member

OK, now I have something I can look for to see what I have in this truck. I just wish these dealerships had someone on site that could explain all of this for people like me that is concerned about these numbers.

And Thank you B&B for going through this with me.

Last edited: May 22, 2013