1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2012 ram 2500

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by dodgegmc1213, Apr 17, 2012.

1. dodgegmc1213

dodgegmc1213 PlowSite.com Addict

hi, just wanna get peoples thoughts of the new ram 2500 5.7 hemi. this winter was the first time i plowed with a dodge (2004 dodge ram 2500hd 5.7 hemi) and i loved it handled the snow great. im currently trying to sell it and get a 2012 ram or even trade it. so just wondering how the new ones are, any problems? how does it handle plowing snow or doing anything else? i know my 04 is kinda of a bumpy ride, any better with the 2012? my truck is starting to rust (cab corners, rocker panels, and rear fenders) and people told me dodge is known for that so are they better now?
    thanks for any info

2. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

I've run dodge for years without major rust issues bit, I coat everything with fluid film. My 5.7 liters have pushed everything from 9'2" vees to 8'110 inch hydraulic wing plows without issue while carrying a 2 yard saltdawg (rear timbrens.) I'm running a 2011 right now and except for forward visibility issues (I've driven them all, they are all the same in that manor) I love it.

3. dodgegmc1213

Thanks for the info. Yea I bought it with the rust already there. I only ran a 8' fisher xblade with maybe a half a yard of salt. This landscaper I know had all fords and now switched to all rams and his guys love them except with the hoods being tall to see what your plowing. I was looking to put a fisher xls on my new 1

4. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

The 2012's have a very nice 6 speed auto with much better gear spacing than the 2011's (and your 2004- they used the same 5 speed tranny). The ride is much nicer in the 2010's+ with a much nicer interior, its a solid ride but much smoother. The engine hasn't changed much so its still just as reliable as before but has a nice bump in power.

Other than that, there is no more quad cab, just a reg cab, full crew cab, or Mega Cab. Overall I think you'll love the 2012 - go test drive one and I doubt you'll give it back.

5. CGM Inc.

CGM Inc. PlowSite Veteran
    from Ontario

love my 2011....

6. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Take a look at the 29R better snow control and a mulch easier on the front of the truck.

7. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

I think my 2011 has a 6 speed.

8. CGM Inc.

from Ontario

I know that mine does...

9. dodgegmc1213

Yea I have to go to my dealer and test 1 and see what they'll give me for a trade

10. dodgegmc1213

i took a look at it and it seems very impressive seems like a better design then the xls except when its in box mode and has to trip how does it with the wings out?:confused: but i like the chain lift alot better then the hydraulic lift

11. plowguy43

2011 and prior all used the 545RFE trans, its a 5 speed with 2 second gears, one for normal driving and one for downshift&tow/hall called 2 prime. Regardless, you get 5 forward gears while driving. The new trans use's the gear set from the Cummin's 68RFE inside the older tranny case (since they have different bellhousings). The 2012's have a 66RFE that is a real 6 speed transmission with much nicer gear spacing than the 545RFE. Should be stronger as well.

Cause you have a Cummins. In 2007.5 with the introduction of the 6.7, they came out with the 68RFE which is a very nice tranny. Do you know about snow plow mode for the 6.7?

12. CGM Inc.

from Ontario

Yes I do, but I'm not a programmer to activate it :)
    Don't see the need for it to be very honest.

13. MIDTOWNPC

MIDTOWNPC PlowSite Veteran

I have a 2007.5 cummins. Auto. What's the snow plow mode ?

14. plowguy43

Sounds faily simple:

If you have snow plow mode capability, here’s how to activate it:

Key on your truck without starting it.
    1. Pull in the cruise control cancel switch and hold.
    2. While holding the cruise control cancel switch, push the exhaust brake switch twice.
    3. Then release the cruise control cancel switch.

Repeat Step 2 three more times for a total of four complete times to activate snow plow mode.

Here you go:

http://www.cumminsnewsletters.com/td/td28_snow.html

15. countrybiggen

countrybiggen Junior Member

Hey i have a 2010 2500 custom it was specifically ordered and set up for plowing i am putting a plow on it for the first time this winter. But i will tell you that when i was in alaska i pulled out 3 full size trucks with no issue at all. Its a power house and i love my truck.
    The bad is that the metal is very thin and weak so the whole leaning over the bed to put stuff in there .. Yeah dont youll dent it. Im comparing it to my 2004 2500 that we have.

Country biggen

16. DAFFMOBILEWASH

DAFFMOBILEWASH PlowSite.com Addict

A few months back I was looking for a leather interior for my 06. Ended up walking some large wrecking yards looking inside 20-30 wrecked trucks. 06-12's are built on much of the same platform. When you look from the outside they look completly different but once the pieces and interior fancy stuff is removed the similarities are staggering.

Ended up getting a sweet interior out of a 2010 leather guts and all for $400.00. Took me longer to clean it than install. But 85% of the bolt holes were in alignment.