1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2012 ram 1500 confused?

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by mengle, Dec 17, 2014.

1. mengle

mengle Junior Member

I currently have a 2012 ram1500 quad cab with the 5.7 hemi. WITH a western hts plow. I want to upgrade the plow to maybe a midweight or a pro 7.6. Western says i can only put the hts or suburbanite on my truck. But they meyer v plow and snowdogg VMD for half tons both weigh 700lbs.
    So can i put a midweight on my truck or the smaller pro plow?
    If i do get a midweight plow or pro plow do i have to change the truck side wire harness?:dizzy:

2. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Meyer LDVs don't weigh 700 lbs and Snowdawg doesn't recommend that fit for your truck.

Western (and everyone else) is governed by the FVMSSA ( Federal Vehicles Manufacturers Safety Standard Act.) The rated weight capacity of your vehicle's front axle and it's over all default weight placement precludes any manufacturer from recommending the addition of a larger plow.

You can hang whatever you want in front of your bumper but keep the limits of your truck in mind.

3. timboy

timboy Member
    from Ny

As long as the blades are the newer fleet flex 2 pug multiplex set ups then either would physically work on your current truck side however gvw's and warranties are another matter.

4. mengle

mengle Junior Member

so do i need to switch any components if i buy a midweight plow

5. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

I'm pretty sure the receivers are different and maybe the centers. Never much fussed with the HTS.

6. dstifel

dstifel Senior Member
    from Iowa

My hts is same as my wideout so I would assume so

7. mengle

mengle Junior Member

ok so i found a newer western pro 7.6 for 1500 should i buy it and put it on the truck or should i get a midweight. I want to get out of the hts because the plow looks to small for the truck as dumb as that sounds.I also don't like the fact i don't have a chain drop.If you click my craigslist add you'll see what i mean.
    http://newjersey.craigslist.org/hvo/4809976117.html

8. dstifel

dstifel Senior Member
    from Iowa

Why go from a 7.6 plow that seems too small to another 7.6 plow? Are you doing parking lots and need to stack snow? Just trying to figure out why your hts isn't working. Regardless I've only had to events I'm pretty happy with mine.

9. mengle

mengle Junior Member

I meant height wise with the headlights below the hood and i was looking at a 8 foot. I do several parking lots and properties we own.

10. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

if you have an HTS any new fleet flex Western will swap in including the Wide-out, Prodigy and the big Vs. The only question is the weight that the front end of your truck can handle. I have used a Chev 1500 to move and test the big plows, it's not a big deal, you just have to accept the front end dropping and the rear end almost lifting the tires off the ground. The mounts are the same but as said above the receivers will need to be changed to full size from HTS minis.

The HTS is a very light duty plow, intended for personal use, acreage driveways etc, not for heavy commercial use. A mid-weight is the smallest commercial grade plow I would want to use. The HTS will fall apart in no time.

11. mengle

mengle Junior Member

I spoke to a couple dealer by me and they said the truck mount does not change because the 4th gens ram 1500 only have one plow mount.
    Mount#33949 Part #33949

12. dstifel

dstifel Senior Member
    from Iowa

I see I know the blade height is the same as a full size, the lights are a bit taller and I could see wanting a chain if stacking. Wish i was ready for another driveway rig I would buy that plow off you. Good luck!

13. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

Mounts don't change but receivers are different. They are over $150 each X 2. HTS receivers are only half normal size.
    Part numbers 67858 and 67859 (full size)

Last edited: Dec 18, 2014
  14. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

The old chain lift myth.
    I can stack just as high or higher with both of my direct lift plows as I can with my chain lift plow

15. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Dont get to caught up in blade height.
    for flared v plows.
    . and get a 8.xft plow a 7.xft is to narrow.
    a .x7 ft is a good choice for a jeep.
    why the fixation on a chain lift?