1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2012 ram 1500 5.7 clicking noise when turning with plow

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by mengle, Dec 17, 2014.

1. mengle

mengle Junior Member

I was plowing a few weeks ago and i pulled out of my drive way with the plow raised i turned the wheel to the left and as i was turning i heard a loud metal on metal clicking noise. this noise only happens when the plow is on and when i cut the wheel to the left. I brought the truck to the shop and they had no answer this is bothering me because i don't want to be SOL in the middle of a storm. Any ideas would help. The truck was not in 4wd when this happened. The mechanic checked the wheel baring and tire rods any ideas would greatly appreciate. The truck also has 5100 shocks.:mechanic::mechanic:

Screen Shot 2014-12-17 at 6.46.00 PM.png

2. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

Lift plow, turn wheels to left and look for a tire rub to start.

3. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

X2, good eyeThumbs Up
    I noticed that rubber sticking out also.

4. Sprag-O

Sprag-O Senior Member

Half-shaft clicking? With the plow on you change the driveline angle.

I'd imagine they checked the CV, common place for 'clicking while turning' noise.

5. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

If it was the drive shaft (and it could be) why wouldn't it make noise all of the time when the plow is on?
    And not, when only Turing to the left with the plow on?

I know you said you had a shaft bottom out and that caused a problem....

Wrong offset?
    Rub
    Or
    Flex
    Dust shield
    Yea I've been drinking:drinkup:

6. mengle

mengle Junior Member

I have wheel spacers no rubbing.
    the best way to describe the noise is similar to putting a baseball card on a bike spokes. Except this noise is distinctly metal on metal.

7. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

Can you have someone drive it in circles while you stand outside and listen?

Drive line noises can sound different when outside.

I believe sprag-o said his plow lowered his truck so much it compressed the splines on the front drive shaft. Causing noise.

Axel joint cv?

8. mengle

mengle Junior Member

Ill try that this weekend. The truck barely squats with the hts plow.

9. Sprag-O

Sprag-O Senior Member

Weight of the plow will change the drive line angles on the CV's (with independent front). When they start to go, typically you only hear them when turning. Maybe the CV's are starting to give out, and it's more audible when the plows compressing the suspension, and the joints are working at a different angle.

10. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

hummm.
    the control arm maintains the same distance as it travels in a arch, the axle shafts are not compressed or extended.

The clicking could still be the cv joint at the end of the shaft.

i put larger tires on a truck, they didn't rub on the frame they rubbed on the bottom corner of the front wheel well when the wheels were turned.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2014
  11. Sprag-O

Sprag-O Senior Member

Your spindle moves up and down, the joint cycles up and down. I'm not talking about compressing or extending.

12. Mark Witcher

Mark Witcher Senior Member

Im betting its his axle Ujoint.