1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2012 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited

Discussion in 'Jeeps' started by provfirescott, Jul 10, 2011.

1. provfirescott

provfirescott Senior Member
    from Ma

Looking to see what brands of plows offer downward pressure(on the blade) that will fit my new Jeep!
    Thank You

2. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

only one (for now, the Patton is due to expire on it) Snoway plows

3. DavCut

DavCut Member

Are the 2012's available now?

4. 05ram

05ram Member

Need details!!!!! Looked at the 2011's, but the new engine for '12 has me waiting. Just not sure about the rubicon. Would be great, but do I need it to plow? Good luck with your new ride. Please post pics when it comes in.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2011
  5. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

I can only comment on the new engine being used in the new Caravans, Grand Cherokee, and my company car - 2011 Charger but WAIT for the 2012's. The 3.6 is lightyears ahead in every aspect compared to the 3.8. It is much more smooth, powerful, and in each of these vehicles I was able to get over 20mpg (each of them is very heavy, and my Charger is consistantly getting 27-28mpg's). Low RPM's there isn't a ton of torque but mid range and high RPM's this thing screams. WAIT!!!

6. theplowmeister

from MA

for plowing you need low end torque the more the better. the YJ had more low end torque than the TJ and I could tell the difference plowing. the JK has less low end torque than the TJ, and now the new motor has Less

7. 05ram

05ram Member

So I guess the low range in the Rubicon would make a big difference compared to the sport?

8. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Great for automobiles and JK street queens but light years outside of what a wrangler should/can be. if you are considering it as a plow truck the superior low end power of 2011 would be a better choice. Won't help with the larger size, reduced maneuverability or limited visibility but it could save you a little money buying as a left over.

:nod:And you can replace the long block for less then 2K, 3K gets you a Strokerwesport Why the off road aficionados call the 07 and newer models the JoKe. Why the YJ, TJ and CJ will hold their value

9. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

Yes it has less low end torque but I highly doubt it'll be an issue. Overall its a much more powerful motor, and matched with the manual which has a granny 1st gear, it'll be a great motor.

Its funny, I remember running around in my YJ when the TJ's came out and we all made fun of them, now they all of a sudden are considered nice- I guess it'll take awhile for people to come around to the JK even though my 4.2 YJ topped out at a earth shattering 120HP.

10. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

The thing is people love the JK, they're just not the hardcore jeep fan. It has done wonderful things for the Jeep corp. boosted sales and opened up new markets and kept those owners that use to have to change vehicles as their family grew. They don't want to ride in something like my CJ5 every day, with it's almost square wheelbase, heater/AC delete, no radio, three speed transmission, and vacuum wipers, it is an experience rather then comfortable transportation. I understand that narrows the consumer base I would not want to ride it everyday either but "civilize" it would take away from it's pleasure factor.

I guess my point is that while the JK are excellent products in their market, their market has shifted even further form the original "GPW' ideal. That makes them a little less "perfect" for their normal place in snow removal. I have a Jeep dealer who is setting up a 03 wrangler to plow the lot because "the new ones just aren't maneuverable enough. Particularly compared to the older modals."

11. ordually

ordually Junior Member

While the 3.6L is no Hemi, neither is the old minivan mill 3.8L. The 3.8L doesn't have superior torque to the 3.6L (see the chart in this post), and if you're buying an auto the 2012+ 5 speed has a much lower 1st gear (3.59:1 vs 2.84:1) that will give you a further advantage.

I drove the 3.8L in both manual and auto, and even with the 4.10 Rubicon gears, manual 4.46:1 first, an unlimited JK was a dog off the line. I actually stalled it. My old 89 Cherokee felt much stronger, despite the 3.07 gears and 4.00:1 1st gear, due to the better 4.0L torque curve and the much lighter weight.

12. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

it's where the Torque is made, it lacks the low end torque of the old 4.0L.

13. tom b

tom b Junior Member

I have a 2012 JK and am considering a 22 series sno-way. Would you recommend it for a 1/2 mile long paved driveway? I'm just south of the PA line in MD.

Thanks

14. theplowmeister

from MA

power, gearing and TRACTION are all different things, Jeeps cant push a pile of snow? so how about your BIG TRUCK with bald tires?

A Jeep with real snow tires and counterweight will out push a F250 with so so all season tires. Been there done that

dont use a Jeep to plow Wally World

There seem to be a lot of us out there that use these things to push snow. So who should I believe you or the hundreds of people that make them work and make $$$ with them.

JMO

15. Hubjeep

Hubjeep Senior Member

All CJ/Wranglers will hold their value, including the new ones. Just look at "used" prices. :dizzy:

I agree to wait for a 2012 model if looking for a JK.

16. ken643

ken643 Senior Member

17. theplowmeister

from MA

There you you said something smart

Oops stuck you foot in it again, you gota stop running off at the mouth

18. bsharp704

bsharp704 Member
    from Grant

If anyone is looking for a Jeep i have an 11 for sale, we just bought it a month ago and now my hours got cut at work. It has 800 miles on it and has to go. PM if interested. Sorry for the Hijack

19. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

We'll see how they're doing in 2032.

20. provfirescott

provfirescott Senior Member
    from Ma

Well looks like I have narrowed it down between the SnowDogg MD75 or the Sno Way Series 22(really want a 26)
    For my 2012 Rubicon 4 door