1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2012 f350 plow size.

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by jbovara, Nov 3, 2012.

1. jbovara

jbovara Junior Member

Hi guys, I know this question has been asked before but I want to get fresh opinions. I have a 2012 f350 4x4 single rear wheel and was wondering what size plow to put on. I'm going with a boss straight blade but, can't decide on the size. I was thinking 8' or 8'6". The difference in weight is only 22 pounds so, the question becomes what's the real difference? I I think it comes down to the load that is placed on the front end while pushing snow. If that's true, what is the real difference between the two plow blades? In essence what are the two plows load ratios and which plow would be the best for my truck. By best I mean which plow will maximize my plowing capacity vs the amount of where and tear on the truck. It's obvious that the 8'6" plow will plow more but at what cost?

2. framer1901

framer1901 Senior Member

14' Danials

We run 9'2 vee's with no problems at all.

It really depends on what you are plowing. Wider gets the plow wider than your tire tracks, some more width gets you closer to outside your mirrors.

If you are just tinkering around, just put the 8' on. If you are working, go as big as you can, your only limit will be drive thrus.

We don't run Timbrens or air bags, we just put weight in the bed to get the truck back to it's original rake or profile, We feel this rides the best and gives way better traction allowing us to run in 2wd.

To answer your question, your truck will not know the difference of 22# and ratio smatios, you want to beat on it, it'll wear things out, work it and you'll be fine.

3. Ranger429

Ranger429 Member

I run a 9' pro plow with wings. I don't have any pictures of the truck with the blade on it yet. I also put a 2 1/2" lift on it to run 35" Dick Cepek Fun Country II tires. Wings make a HUGE difference in lack of roll off to. Something to consider for your plow.

4. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

The biggest concern is weight when the blade is up while driving down the road. If you are running proper ballast, the rear is doing most of the pushing when the blade is down. Get the biggest blade that bolts on the truck. 9 plus foot, add some wings

5. MSsnowplowing

MSsnowplowing Senior Member

I've got a 06 F350 and running a Western Pro Plus 8ft with no problems and I'm going to upgrade to a Western 8 1/2 V-plow.
    I really want to get the 9 1/2 V-plow but I have a torando sander on the back of my truck and that gets it pretty close to the 10600 total weight of the truck. So if you have a sander don't forget total weight limit.
    It also depends on what type of contracts your doing, wide open go for the largest, tight and narrow stick with a 8 or 8 1/2.
    And as someone else said, put weight in the back for proper ballast if you don't have a sander.

6. Green Grass

Green Grass PlowSite Fanatic

you will want the 8'6" to cover your wheels while you turn. The 8' is too short for the truck. I have a western 8'5" V and I wish I had a 9'2" Boss.

7. suzuki0702

suzuki0702 Senior Member

get the western wideout. Dont be concerned about tearing up your truck with the plow, because no matter what you put on there is going to make you money and cost you money at the same time. Good thing is the equipment is rebuildable!

8. jbovara

jbovara Junior Member

Thanks guys. I went with a 8.6 boss straight blade

9. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Add some wings to get the full potential of the truck and plow

10. bigbadbrad

bigbadbrad Senior Member

fisher xls, 8-10 feet of plow all in one package! Truck will handle anything they make to hand on the front of it so dont worry about it

11. rob_cook2001

rob_cook2001 2000 Club Member

We ran a 8.6 boss straight with wings on my brothers 2009 f350... great combination.

12. fatheadon1

fatheadon1 Senior Member

i have a 9'6 mvp plus on mine and it drops less then 3/4 of an inch when raising the plow. go big or stay home

13. D Industries

D Industries Junior Member
    from Ohio

8'6" boss v plow on ours.

It rides 10x better! It barely drops the front end at all.
    Would have no prob goin bigger.