1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2012 F250 Powerstroke non-plow prepped

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by wayoffroad, Oct 20, 2015.

1. wayoffroad

wayoffroad Junior Member

I live in New England. Southeast NH to be exact, and the Salt on the roads here is legendary. So when I decided to purchase a newer truck, I wanted something from out of the Salt belt. With two of my sisters living in Louisville KY, I decided to start my search south of there. When I Immediately found the exact same truck for the same price as I had fallen in love with up here, only a year newer and with 30,000 less miles, I knew I had found my truck.

So I told you that story, so that I could tell you this, because I bought in very southern Kentucky, less than a half hour from the TN boarder, My F250 doesn't have plow Prep package, like every other truck here in New England does. So my question that I am looking for your input on is, How big of an issue will this be with the 9.5 ft stainless Fisher XV2 that I'm having put on? Is the only difference in the spring rate in the front coils, or is it more than that? I have firestone airbags for the front coils if it's just a coil spring thing, but I am looking for input as to if it is something more than that. Ball joint, unit bearings, axle shafts, u-joints, etc. Is there anything else I need to beef up beyond just the coil spring capacity?

2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Springs, alternator, sometimes skid plates, and sometimes block heater, and sometimes second battery.

Personally, upgrade the front springs, look at the alt charging wire, see if you can go bigger, and see about adding a ground directly to the alt as well. Double Ck the batterys and call it a day.

3. Sawboy

Sawboy PlowSite.com Addict

I believe the fan clutch is different as well on a plow prep equipped vehicle.

4. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

Gas or diesel?

5. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

I believe the title answers that question. Where's your glasses pat?

6. 1olddogtwo

I was making sure it was the scorpion motor, that statement about adding 2 battery throw me off.

I would mount and run it, its a Ford.....enff said.

7. BossPlow2010

BossPlow2010 PlowSite.com Addict

Ford plow prep only gives you the heavy duty alternator if you have the PS, it also gives you the specific springs.

Skid plates are part of the Fx4 off road pkg. block heater is different as well and is included on vehicles sold in cold weather states.

Like old dog said, it's a Ford, put a plow on it and you'll be good. But not having plow prep will void warranty

8. wayoffroad

wayoffroad Junior Member

I picked up the truck with the new plow tonight. The front drops a little, but probably less than any other truck I've owned. I'm sure it would haul the plow around fine, but I already have the airbags anyway, so I am going to install them. I like my truck to sit as level as possible. I did notice the lights dimming a bit when I was running it through it's paces. Not sure what I'm going to do about that. I don't know if maybe I could send my alternator out and get it beefed up, or just pick up a new one.

9. 1olddogtwo

Chances are you'll always see some dimming.

Remember when plowing, the rpm puts the Alt in peak range for producing power.

A bigger Alt is not always better if the power range is higher in the RPM range.

10. superdutypsd

superdutypsd Senior Member

Fords with the plow prep package or ambulace package have higher lb front coils, a different fan clutch that is ingaged more often and engages at an earlier temp, and have a duel alternators set up. This is what my truck came equipped with

I would say for a none prep truck you could just swapp the fan clutches, if you start to have over heating problems if not then leave it, for a single alternator just get a higher amp one factory i think are 140amp and barely enought to run the truck with nothing on it, and springs are easy to replace and will have to eventually from them starting to sagg and get tired from the plow.

11. superdutypsd

superdutypsd Senior Member

I also want to say the plow fan clutch is controlled a little different from the pcm programming, and the pcm tells the clutch how much to engage and when, and i do know with duel alternators they do not both run at the same time, the primary runs as normal and when the truck take a heavy load the pcm then tells the secondary alt to kick in and regulates the voltage to keep enough juice in the system

12. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

Usually the only difference is fan, heavier front springs and higher out put alt.