1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2012 F-450 V-10 anyone??

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by newhere, Nov 18, 2012.

1. newhere

newhere PlowSite.com Addict
    from Fenton

Does any one run a F-450 V-10 that can provide my information regarding power, mpg's and over all performance ??

Im looking into purchasing a new 2012 and am considering this engine over the diesel. Truck will mainly pull a 20 or 24 enclosed with mowers in the summer and haul loads of mulch and leaves. No heavy duty pulling non-stop. Work radius is rather close so in a year of summer work and plowing i can expect to put around 7,000 miles on it a year.

2. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Sounds like your truck choice is about 200 bigger than you need

3. newhere

from Fenton

Maybe i understated its summer time use a little bit, but i would never go back to a normal 250/350. Have to have a dump for the mulch, grass clippings and leaves. Hauling b&b trees on the back, topsoil......typical landscape duty. Every day the dump gets used though.

4. Dublin Plow

Dublin Plow Member

V-10 has lots of guts but no balls (torque)...me and a buddy side by side, same plow, same lot..in short fashion my 6.0 or 6.4 overtakes him.. same rear gears (430)..its not a race but its gotta get done. We run big plows, 9/6 X-V and 10' Boss, trucks are frieghted comparably

I have a v-10 pickup, does fine but REAL hard on the fuel..I have not had the manifold issues I have heard of with the V-10 but I have had head gasket and turbo issues with my diesels.

I Love em both , hate em just as much..as long as its a Ford I think you will do just fine...

5. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

What kind of money have the headgasket and turbo issues cost you?

6. Dublin Plow

Dublin Plow Member

both were still warranty jobs, luckily, so the deductible $100.00 was the bill.

The head gasket actually was a heater core (that wasn't needed) $500, then a de-gas bottle cap, $50 before they finally admitted it needed head gaskets..

The turbo just popped driving down the highway..prob had 5 minutes warning, called my bud the wrench turner who has had these and told me to drive it but watch my oil pressure. Literally 5 minutes later..nada, no go...gutless pig clanging and banging spitting turbo vanes into the exhaust pipes..Would have been a $3000 plus job, the high pressure oil pump and front cover suffered when it popped. 10k on the new goods and seems fine, only had 40k on it when it popped

Both were different truck, 05 F350 with the gaskets, 06 F350 with the turbo...both still going and fine..head gaskets @ 85K ,

7. 91AK250

91AK250 PlowSite.com Addict

the v10 will do everything asked of it, may not be the fastest or best of on fuel but its a work horse and very reliable!

8. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

Get the V8, either gas or diesel. Id say get the diesel, it will get better mpgs and have more power. Thus far they have been very reliable as well. In the end you'll get more on resale (a lot) compared to the V10 simply because of the mpg aspect of it.

9. 91AK250

they do not offer a V8 in the f-450. its either the V10 or 6.7 diesel.

10. newhere

from Fenton

I just dont think i can swallow 45 grand on a f-450. Even knowing i will get better resale value i still have a much higher risk of mechanical failure that will have to go to the dealer. And i have the extra 15 grand to finance and pay interest on.

I do have my eye on a 2002 f-450 7.3 with ultra low miles in mint shape i may snag up. But then im 16-18 grand into a used truck that could need another 1,000 dollars every month. Put 15 grand down on a gas 450 and im about half way paid off.

11. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

You will get single digits fuel economy with V10. Mine weighs 8500 lbs and around town I get 9. I would go diesel. If you go gas, get all the extra fuel tanks you can, or you won't be able to get any work done.

www.transferflow.com

12. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

I have a F450 w/ a V10 and I absolutely love it. It stays hooked up to a 40' gooseneck or a 53' car hauler almost all the time. The mileage does suck due to the large engine and the 4.88 gears but I get about 250 miles on a tank and that's good enough for me.

In the winter I hang a 9'6" MVP on it with a spreader on the back. It's a real workhorse.

Here's a pic of it in action this past summer:

[​IMG]

13. 91AK250

i've had 3 2 valve V10s and absolutely love them. current '02 i use as a daily driver/commuter and over 20k miles i've averaged 9mpg. but the nice thing is they are pretty consistent. loaded or not they get about the same mpg lol.

14. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

Thank you, that I did not know.

Weigh the savings going by the numbers posted above. 9mpg average will add up, then as I mentioned resale (and ease of reselling) will be much better for the diesel. People don't want V10's anymore with the high gas prices.

15. BPS#1

BPS#1 2000 Club Member

7.3 mint versus today's offerings???? No brainer.

And who gave you the idea that you are going to be putting 1000 a month into repairs???
    This would be highly abnormal for a 7.3.

I bought my current main pickup last year out of TX.
    2000 f250, 7.3, 4x4, 6 spd, ext cab long bed. Some thing like 96,000 miles on it. Today its approaching 135,000.
    NOTHING done to the engine outside of oil changes and routine maint/filters.
    Over the whole truck I've only done a left front wheel bearing/hub, brakes, tires and a clutch. Not surprising,
    the clutch was a weak spot on those trucks from the factory. They'd give up the fight on a completely stock
    no extra power pickup, add a few ponies and they'd give up faster.

Unless you get a rare 7.3 lemon........... that engine will last a long time!
    And they are very easily chipped or tuned for better MPG and power.
    All tho if you get crazy on the power the MPG will go down.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2012
  16. BPS#1

BPS#1 2000 Club Member

On that used truck........I would not wait, those trucks with the 7.3 engine DO NOT last!
    A paid for truck in these economic times is the only way to go.

And you may be able to push the guy around a little bit on the price if you have the cash to buy it out right.

17. newhere

from Fenton

prices came back. The diesel is only a 7k upgrade.

Still in the low to mid 40's though on a crew cab 4x2

18. Spool it up

Spool it up Senior Member

go diesel power. there is a BIG difference dude. you wont regret it . you can save yourself large coin by purchasing one off a lease . 2010's are just as good . jmo

Last edited: Nov 19, 2012
  19. Sabsan84

Sabsan84 Senior Member

Just get the diesel, you will be glad you did, its not worth the savings to get 7 or 8 mpg in a f450. when you could get 12 consistently w the diesel and higher if it is not towing or highway, plus its stronger, uses alot less fuel plowing, it may be only less than $100 difference a month, if that...if you negotiated right, a zero down, would be in the mid 600's a mo., even if you got a v10 in the 500's. the extra fuel would definitely eat up any savings, just get the diesel, and get a 4x4, its worth its weight in gold

20. Spool it up

Spool it up Senior Member