1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2012 F-250 gas or diesel

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by Stowe, Dec 17, 2011.

1. Stowe

Stowe Member

should I spend the extra money for a diesel truck. The truck will be used for plowing and probably only 10K or less miles a year.
  2. mustangman02232

mustangman02232 Senior Member

will you be towing anything? the new 6.2 gassers are very impressive, and thats coming from a diesel guy. the gov. is just killing the diesel with all this emissions stuff
  3. exmark1

exmark1 PlowSite.com Addict

Im going through the same thing right now debating on a new regular cab and can't decide if it's worth the extra to buy another 6.7 Diesel
  4. rv4jesus

rv4jesus Member

newer diesel fuel enonomy

I've got a 08 6.4L F250 diesel and although I like the power I must say that I am disappointed with the fuel economy. I am doing well to get 14 MPG. The older 7.3 L engines were much better, even with a tuner on this truck. There is so much emissions control stuff now that kills the mileage and the diesel fuel is about 60 cents a gallon more. The repair costs can be pretty scary too.
  5. swtiih

swtiih PlowSite.com Addict

I say no unless you need the power for towing lots of weight. Gotta drive at least 100k miles just to break even not including the higher maintenance if something breaks out of warranty

Ain't that the truth, way to much emissions
  6. White Gardens

White Gardens 2000 Club Member

Ditto on most posts.

If you aren't going to be putting very many miles on the truck in one year, then get a gasser.

7. Jaysled

Jaysled Member

I just orderd a 2012 F-350 4x4 DRW cab and chassis with the new V8 and 4:30 rear end. It shoud be here in a couple of weeks!! Go for the V8 less headaches in the long run if you plan on keeping it for a long time.
  8. magnatrac

magnatrac PlowSite.com Addict

I just made the switch from an 07 reg cab 350 with a v-10 to 11 crew cab 350 diesel. I will say this first I am not a diesel guy. I had a dodge a while back and my brother had a duramax and I was tunrned off by the issues we had. My last 2 ford were gas. an 03 350 with the 5.4 and the 07 v-10. I saw an add for a deal on the new truck and didn't beleive it was true. I drug my feet for a week and a half and when the add was run again I still didn't beleive it. My wife and I are expecting out second child so I need to get more than a regular cab truck by next spring. Needless to say she emailed the dealer and they called me the next day. After they told me no catch on the price I said ok we'll see about what you'll give me for my 07. They offered $2,500 more than I was offer a year ago by another dealer. After that I said ok lets take the new truck for a drive. Well to say the least I had a big smile on my face after that test drive ! For the deal and rebates on the diesel I figured I could get rid of it if I need to. I bought it and have to say it's awsome ! The day I brought it home I was working on a paver driveway and went and picked up 3 yards of linestone in my dumping trailer. It was amazing how it pulled it like it wasn't even there. Ok now down to the savings. I got the truck for only 3k more than another dealer wanted for a gasser ( very similar trucks) so I more than make up for it it fuel savings. Towing around town/ plowing ( only plowed once so far) I am getting 14 mpg. I used to get 8-9 mpg or less with my v-10. Just last weekend I made a trip from north of detroit to dayton ohio to deliver my old plow to it's new home. traveling 5mph over 75 mph. in mighigan and 70 mph. in ohio I got 19.8 mpg. That's doing the math not the computer. Even with the difference in fuel cost I am still way ahead with the diesel. I am really looking forward to plowing this season with the new truck. All that being said if you have to pay the full 8 k to get a diesel I wouldn't probably get one. If you drive a ton and tow/plow a fair amount it will eventually save you money. They however are the same truck and are going to break in time so if it's going to take 200k mi. to break even I wouldn't by a diesel. I ran a blizzard 810 on my 03 with the 5.4 and it always ran out of traction before power while plowing so a gasser is just fine plowing. I guess if you can get a good deal and will use the extra power a diesel is great. If it's just an around town work truck the 6.2 will do just fine.

Good luck ,shaun
  9. BlueRam2500

BlueRam2500 Senior Member

If your only driving the truck less than 10k a year, than definetly go with the gas motor. Not worth the extra $8k for the diesel to have the truck sit most of the time.
  10. Stuffdeer

Stuffdeer Senior Member

My 6.2 I am getting around 18 o ln the highway and 13 in the city. I'm loving this truck.
  11. ken643

ken643 Senior Member

I love the 6.7 awesome power, but the mileage is not great around town the computer says around 11-12 highway at 75-78 MPH I am getting 18.5 according to truck computer. My 03 silverado DMax with mods got a lot better mileage. After seeing the post on the 6.2 Gasser it seems their mileage is pretty darn close to the diesel without the 7 grand price tag. I got around 12-14 towing my boat&trailer (9000lbs) at 65-70 MPH. Still a fun truck to drive. Lets not forget diesel fuel costs more and fuel a addative (stop gelling) for those very cold days (if e ever get any) In the end I still love the power, the truck has tons of power
  12. 02powerstroke

02powerstroke PlowSite.com Addict

I have 6k on my new 6.2 gas and I cant complain.

13. Raymond S.

Raymond S. Senior Member

I don't know how you guys are getting 18mpg on your 6.2 but my 2011 F350 reg cab 3:73gears I get 11 in town and LUCKY to het 14 on the highway at 70mph. With that said, tons of power for a v8 gas, average 9mpg plowing/salting. Very happy with the truck. A friend has the new 6.7 and it has very remarkable power but like mentioned the fuel mileage just isn't there and it's too early to tell what the emissions have done to the longevity of the diesel. If I'm going on a trip I prefer my 7.3 crew cab...just can't beat the smooth torque and hum of a diesel. However, day to day working and plowing I prefer the 6.2 gas. You'll be happy with your purchase either way, good luck.
  14. Rich Graz

Rich Graz Senior Member

sadly I get about 8mpg on one of my 2010 f250 gas with a plow and a salter on it. It sucks but I don't keep my trucks for more then 4 years.
  15. mnglocker

mnglocker Senior Member

Get the big V8 and be done. The diesels are all turds with the emissions crap on them. And at 10k miles per year, you'll not get the truck to break before the warranty is up.

As said else where in this thread; this coming from a diesel guy.
  16. BossPlow2010

BossPlow2010 PlowSite.com Addict

that is a nice truck! except i would have gotten the supercab Thumbs Up
  17. Fawcett

Fawcett Junior Member

I've got a 2012 F350 Reg Cab. Consider getting the F250 with the 10k GRVW Package. Because I have a F350, I have to register it at 12,000lbs and its $20 per 1,000 lbs to register it in Mass. Plus you'll have to run commercial plates with a F350, where you can prob get away with regular plates in Ma (If you want). Also, I'm not allowed to ride in the speed lane on the highway, I have to have a Ma/DOT Healthcard as well as carry a fire extinguisher, wheel chucks and a reflective triangle at all times. Around here, some towns have heavy DOT enforcement, others don't.

Insurance isn't too bad, I found a great deal at about $100 per month. I've got the plow package, it drives really nice with the extra weight on it. Gas mileage is 12.5mpg around town, just cracked 1,000miles. I've never really needed to drive it on a highway so I don't have any data to post about.

I love the truck, very happy with the 6.2 and everything else.
    Looking forward to pushing some snow with the new 8ft Fisher!
  18. MrPLow2011

MrPLow2011 Senior Member
    from Boston

Those new Powerstrokes or what ever they call them dont get 20mpg. Go on the ford boards they are all complaining about poor mpg. get the gasser.

As for Fawcett. He has a dually. You can run in left lane without any issues with a SWR
  19. Snowzilla

Snowzilla Senior Member
    from Iowa

Unless money is not an issue, with those miles and use I don't think a diesel is in any way justifiable from a initial cost stand point. The increased mpg is cancelled some what by the higher cost of fuel. If you are needing a truck to pull a trailer than diesel becomes more justifiable.
  20. EdNewman

EdNewman Senior Member

The F250 can't tow more than the 6.2 can pull and the roi for the diesel on mileage is well over 100,000 miles. Have you thought about the new F150 with the Eco boost?