1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2012 Chevy 2500HD with Fisher XLS

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by BOSSMAN21, Feb 4, 2012.

1. BOSSMAN21

BOSSMAN21 Senior Member

As you guys know, I posted a while ago about a new truck, I originally wanted a 1 ton but now with the snow situation the way it is, I think I am going to go with a 3/4 ton. A certain dealership that I deal with has a 2012 White WT package Reg cab with an Fisher XLS for 36,907 (they also are a fisher dealer aswell). I have also pondered around the Idea of buying a new LT model with all the bells and whistles and putting my 9.2 Boss Power V on it and buying something else for the 05 later on. I have got either option at my own disposal and Before Monday next week, I am going to make my decision. Now here is my real question, Is the XLS too heavy for the 2500HD? and does anyone on here have an XLS? If so how do they like it, what would you do if you were in this situation? I also have the option of trading the XLS for a Extreme V but do I want to do that and lose money on the XLS which I know I am going to do? I am kind of in a buckle here guys, Thanks in advance! Thumbs Up
  2. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

I have both an XLS on an 04 2500hd regular cab and an 8.5 SSEXV on my 03 2500HD. I can tell you they are both great plows. I drice the 04 with the XLS and I will tell you I will never NOT have an XLS on the front of my truck. The productivity is a real money maker. The EXV is a great plow and I am very happy I have it as it is also very productive and scrapes unbelievable. It is also great for when we have deep snow storms, but 95% the time it is in straight or scoop mode. Both truck have the T bars cranked and timbrens up front to help with the load and longer bilstien shocks to help with the ride since the truck sits higher( I know the shocks do nothing to help with the load of the plow,but when it is off the truck drives great). I also have the 2 salters in the back for ballast and no problems. Truck drops 3/4 and inch when the plow is up. Your truck will handle the plow fine. I vote for the XLS . Any other questions feel free to PM me.
  3. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

Much better front end on the new GM's then the pre 2011. I have 2-07 and 1-09. I have a Western 8'6" MVP plus with wings on one 07 and Boss VXT 9'2" on the other. On my 09 I have a 2004 Blizzard 810. My 09 is loaded and both 07's are plain jane. If I were you I would get a truck with a few options, at least power windows and locks. It is hard reaching the passenger side to unlock the door and rolling down the window is near impossible while driving.

For plows the Blizzard is the fastest in big area's. If you haven't had a plow with direct lift before you will love how it goes down the road. There is no more plow bouncing up and down over the bumps.
  4. Mick76

Mick76 2000 Club Member
    from Maine

What type of lots/drives are you plowing? The 2012s will handle a xls fine... in terms if you need it or not depends on the type of lots you plow... now that said I just bought a 2005one ton dually and put a new xls on it... its the cat a$$ for the type of lots I plow..... I have a few xv on my other trucks and they work very well for the lots they're assigned too.... so it really depands on the kind of plowing your doing but for wide open lots I'd go with an xls over a v everyday of the week...... going by fishers website the xls is about 13% more efficient then a 9.5 v but the v works great in certain situations (especially busting open those large snowbanks at the end of drives after the storm has finished)

and a side note, since your dealer is a fisher dealer as well, they can't "legally" put a blade on a truck if it goes over the front end axle ratings....they'd get sued
  5. Matson Snow

Matson Snow PlowSite.com Addict

Go with the XLS.......You will Not be Sorry........:salute:

It a Very Productive Plow and the Truck will handle it just fine......:drinkup:
  6. BOSSMAN21

BOSSMAN21 Senior Member

Now this is interesting. The plow is being advertised as being sold with the truck, its not something I want to have put on. Its just on there. On another note, I believe the truck has PW and PL, I just dont know if I want to spend almost 37k and not get the LT and all the storage and features offered.
  7. 2006Sierra1500

2006Sierra1500 PlowSite.com Addict

Trust me, get the WT. Our truck, a 2011 1500 LT, had a sticker of 41k
  8. BOSSMAN21

BOSSMAN21 Senior Member

Yeah thats the same story about everywhere. I have had a last second thought and I have decided to go with an extended cab. I think I am going to buy a WT model and put a boss on it, either a new one or either the boss I have now.
  9. BOSSMAN21

BOSSMAN21 Senior Member

Well that is if they can get me a good deal on an extended cab.
  10. bigz64

bigz64 Junior Member

i read that the 2012 chevys have an optional "snow plow prep package" which has a rating of 6000 lbs on the front axle, from the gm site
  11. Greenmtboy

Greenmtboy Senior Member
    from Vermont

Get the WT. IMO the WT has more comfortable seats. We have a 2011 3500 LT SRW and looking at a 2012 2500 WT, has everything the LT has except keyless entry, fancy wheels and is about $7000 less.
  12. jmac5058

jmac5058 Senior Member

Correct,and it comes on the 3/4 2500 or 1tn 3500 exatly the same.So the front end is just as strong on both,its just the rear spring has an extra leaf and small block between the spring and rearend.I think the 3500 has slightly beefier brake calipers also,not possitive about that.Theres no doubt you can go expanding plow.