1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2012 3500 Crew 4x4 Diesel question

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Squires, Mar 31, 2014.

1. Squires

Squires Senior Member

Is anyone running one of these with a heavy salter in the bed and had the bed make contact with the cab?
    Just came back from visiting some family and my uncle has the above mentioned truck that he uses for RVing in the summer months, it only has 10,000km's on it so far.
    After the RV season he noticed dents in the cab where the leading edge of the bed had made contact on both sides.
    He doesn't recall hitting anything or ever hearing the contact happen, but alas the dents are there, of note he hauls a boat with a 3' hitch extension so the boat/trailer should have been destroyed i'd assume if he hit a bump hard enough to get the truck to bend such that it would make contact on both sides at the same time.
    Camper is out now and the body lines are all lined up perfect.
    RV is tipping the scales at 4,800lbs so it is heavy, my thoughts are that it was probably the twisting motion going over uneven train tracks or entering/exiting a parking lot or something else similar.

Anyone else ever encounter this, searching online doesn't come up with much, but if anyone has encountered this i'd expect it would be someone with a hopper full of salt/sand
    thanks in advance
  2. edgeair

edgeair Senior Member

I've seen some dents like you describe on a few Chevs and wondered where they came from.

Having said that, that is about a ton more than that truck is meant to carry so that might have something to do with it too....
  3. Blizzard1980

Blizzard1980 Senior Member

Max payload is 4266 lbs. It has fully boxed frame and should hold up well unless being over weight on uneven terrain. All it takes is going over hump 10 mph.

Also to give you some comfort about Chevys.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKMQjm7i2Jw
  4. Squires

Squires Senior Member

I believe, but not certain that the 4,800lb is when full of everything, water (clean and grey) propane etc not exactly sure.
    He has been to the scale with it and the highway dept. says he is within spec even though the door sticker seems to say differently.
    He has been to the local Ford dealer but the same equipment F-450 would still be over weight with the same camper, I believe it gained less that 400lbs of capacity.
    On a side note, why would these things even be built in the first place is there isn't a pickup than can legally (allegedly) handle the weight anyway?