1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2012 2500 Quad plow recommendation

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by dinosaur, May 4, 2013.

1. dinosaur

dinosaur Junior Member
    from SE PA

I just picked up a '12 Quad Cab, long bed 2500 w/cummins and auto to replace my 1975 W200 Power Wagon for plowing duties. It has the "plow prep" package.
    My loaded question is "what to get for a plow?" The last new plow I purchased was back in 1975 and it was a Meyers (full factory setup on the truck). I have another '75 w/plow (not my original one) up for sale in anybody is interested.
    So from past experience, what size works best on a truck this long and any recommendations on which one? I'm eyeing up V-plows but I know they are heavier so will this "handle" the extra weight of a V and is the V worth the extra cost?
  2. 2006Sierra1500

2006Sierra1500 PlowSite.com Addict

A V and if your worried that much throw in some Timbrens
  3. JK-Plow

JK-Plow Senior Member

If you go to any snow plow site and you put your truck in, it will say you can only plow with a 7 1/2 ft. plow. However you can use up to a 9 1/2 ft. plow on the truck. All the plow manufacturers say anything over 7 1/2 ft is too heavy for the diesel truck. However they base that on driving from one side of the country and back with the snow plow on the truck. No one drives that far at one time.
  4. 2006Sierra1500

2006Sierra1500 PlowSite.com Addict

^What he said, one of my trucks isn't even rated for a plow of any kind except for a homeowner plow but I run a 7'6'' Fisher HD on it.
  5. alpine779

alpine779 Member

I have an 8'2 boss v hanging off the front of my 05 2500 QC/SB. Not sure how much you plow but once you go to a v plow you won't go back to a straight. You'll love it.