1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2012 2500 Denali HD Duramax - Needs a plow

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by BrShan01, Oct 11, 2012.

1. BrShan01

BrShan01 Junior Member

I purchased my pickup at the beginning of the summer and recently purchased a new home with about 7500sq/ft of driveway. I am entertaining the idea of mounting a plow but this is my daily driver as well as my tow vehicle for racing in the summer.

Few questions -
    Would you put a plow on this truck or purchase an ATV or the like with a plow?
    How difficult would it be to remove the plow mount? I plan to replace my air dam with a non denali piece for the winter months then switch back.
    Would it be worth spending money on a commercial type plow with intent of picking up some extra work over the winter or is the wear/tare not worth it for this rig?
    Is there any way of telling whether or not I have a plow prep pack?
    Is there any other info I should know before mounting a plow to this truck?
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2012
  2. Plow More

Plow More Senior Member

I personally would not put a plow on a newer chevy with the ifs, especially after i saw the thread saying you have to gusset the frame in order to prevent it from cracking. Front end is just to weak to hold up to much on those chevys. They need to go with a solid axle like the other two big truck manufacturers
  3. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

The truck will basically hold any plow you wish to put on it. Personally I would just put a plow in my atv for your just your driveway but if your thinking about picking up some extra work you have a highly capable truck that was made for plowing.
  4. chevymanz28

chevymanz28 Junior Member

plow on denali

I work for a company that owns several car dealerships including a Buick/GMC Store. I have spoken to a couple engineers from GM on this subject, That truck will carry and handle a properly sized plow with now problem. However, you must be certain it has the plow prep package. There are several wheel and tire packages for the denali. The plow prep package has a certain rim and tire combo that is rated for the extra weight.
  5. 92teg92

92teg92 Junior Member

i would say the 2011 and up gm HDs can handle just about anything....

mine with the duramax, not a denali however... just an SLT....58k sticker was enough for me payup

ps: no suspension adjustment either....

6. 92teg92

92teg92 Junior Member

also, to the OP...im not sure how much different the denali is from my front air dam, but i can snap some pictures for you if you like in summer mode.

the chin spoiler can actually fit back on under the mounts, i chose not to this summer though.
  7. Triple L

Triple L PlowSite Fanatic
    from Canada

You clearly have no idea what your talking about, everything changed on the 11'+
  8. 2005_Sierra

2005_Sierra Senior Member

Yea the 6K FAWR in these 3/4 ton trucks is just not enough :dizzy: better get a ford with a heavier axle....oh wait....its the same rating but on an IFS, yea thatd be terrible

To 92teg92, can you post pics of your front spoiler
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2012
  9. 92teg92

92teg92 Junior Member

Ill snap some pictures in the morning. Not much will show up in the dark
  10. JK-Plow

JK-Plow Senior Member

I talked with a Buick GMC truck salesman last year about putting a plow on a non-plow package Denali 2500. The salesman had to check, but told me that I could put any plow on the truck. However, it could not be used for commercial plowing. I had asked about a Boss V-plow at the time. Also the front air dam is the same on all GMC 3/4 trucks. If you don't want the mount on the front of the truck during the summer, then I would go with an ATV to plow your driveway. Any non-plow package trucks with a plow on it, may not get covered under the warranty. It all depends on the dealership you have the service done at. If your dealership has no problem with you putting a plow on your truck, then you shouldn't have a problem. But if the dealership says you need a plow prep package, then they will not cover you under a warranty.
  11. SullivanSeptic

SullivanSeptic PlowSite Veteran

Your truck will be fine. I have a 2008 chevy 2500 with a duramax and i run a western wideout. Thats a very heavy plow and it handles fine. FYI, western ultramoutn has a very slim lined mount that goes on the truck. In the summer, you can barely see mine. You bought a $65,000 truck. Just buy a new plow and dont mess around. Pm me if you want details on plow mount and how it looks on truck.
  12. brad96z28

brad96z28 PlowSite.com Addict

If I wanted a pos that had the suspension of a log, I would have bought one. My truck rides like a car and handles any plow I put on it.
  13. BrShan01

BrShan01 Junior Member

Thanks everyone for the replies, if someone has a pic of a denali trim with a plow mount that would be awesome. Also, do different brand plows require different amounts of cutting on the front end? I'm looking for the least amount of modification to this truck but want a quality blade mostly for driveways, potentially a lot or two over time.

@JD Dave - I don't currently have an ATV so I'm either going out to pick up a new outlander or king quad or putting a plow on the 2500. I'm just having a hard time making a decision, I was told it will take about 2 hours to plow this on an ATV so I was leaning towards putting a blade on the truck.

@Plow More
    I appreciate the concern but if your ford can handle it, I'm sure the GM's will do just fine.
    Frame Strength Test:
  14. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

That was some of the OLDER trucks that need gussets, and that depended on the weight of the plow and the amount it was used. The New (+2011) have different frames and suspensions and have retained the superior turning radius to the Fords (Dodges turn even better;))
  15. brad96z28

Id rather spend 25 dollars making gussets to make sure there will never be a problem with the frame. How much is it to keep a 6 leaker from blowing head gaskets? Or a 7.3 from the oil pan rotting?
  16. SullivanSeptic

SullivanSeptic PlowSite Veteran

Western ultramount will will have the least modifications. I didn't cut anything on my truck. But i dont have a Denali.
  17. Plow More

Plow More Senior Member

I did not know that. Didnt know they changed

Was i cutting down chevy and trying to tell him ford was better? I dont see that anywhere in my post.

Wow. Get defensive much?

Thank you for the clarification! It does much more good than the cut downs like a few of the previous posters did. I did not know this about the newer chevys.

When was i raving that he should get a ford and how bad the chevys are? Jeez guy im just trying to warn the op of what it takes to put a plow on an ifs chevy. I have admitted that i didnt know they addressed and fixed the issue on the 2011 and up trucks.

You chevy guys get defensive quick which turned out as cluttered thread for the op to try and decipher what is actually good info.
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2012
  18. brad96z28

Oh yes your statement was a huge help to the op.

CT-TILEMAN Member

This will be my 6th season plowing with a 2500HD/GMC/Duramax and third season with a sander.

Last time I checked I had not one worn front end part and it handles the plow and sander just fine.

BTW........no cracks in my frame yet.
  20. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

IMO buy a cheap yard plow truck. An old beater that sits until its time to plow. Your denali will hold anything and be a dream to plow with but its too nice a truck to cut up the front bumper/air dam to hang a plow off of.

For the price of a new or lightly used plow you can definitely find a plow truck from the 90s in decent shape for $3-4k.