1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2012 1500 tire pressure question

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by Squires, Dec 3, 2011.

1. Squires

Squires Senior Member

A co-worker just bought a 2012 1500 Ram, the dealer is selling them with bushwackers leveling kit and over sized tires.

He just had a low pressure message on the dash.
    Tires are LT305/55/20 BFG AT's
    Should these tires be ran at the same 40psi recomended for the stock sized tires?
    the tread doesn't look flat, seems that with enough pressure to not have the dash light, the centers of the tread will prematurly wear out.

2. sweetk30

sweetk30 PlowSite.com Addict

ahhh the joys of tire pressure monitor bull crap. :realmad:

unless he gets the system turned off via a programmer then have fun lookin at the light/ message for the life of the vehicle.

and you are correct that to much psi on a tire will burn the centers off.

bigger tire holds same weight up with less psi of smaller tire. so this is why you cant play with tire monitor stuff and bigger tires as a bolt on like the old days.

and this would piss me off if i got a new truck and paid for the way it is just to get a error message all the time or burn my tires off to only have the light out. :dizzy:
  3. dave_dj1

dave_dj1 Senior Member
    from NY

My tire pressure light has been on since I bought my 2010 2500 Ram HD. It was on when I left the lot with it, they did work on it and got it off for about a week, now I have swapped rims and gone to 315's and it's still on, it just doesn't bother me...lol it stops flashing after a moment or two.
  4. Squires

Squires Senior Member

Truck is a grocery getter, won't see a bit of work in its life besides his kids dirt bikes or other such things.
    what pressure should the BFG's be at?

The dealer definitly put 40psi in them as the light came on and they had around 34-36psi in them.

Hes going to run the stock 17's for winter, so there will be about 5-6 months of the year without the light haha
  5. sweetk30

sweetk30 PlowSite.com Addict

well if dealer didnt install sensors in the custom wheels n tires then light will be on all the time anyways .

and if thay did install them did thay pull them from stock and swap or install new ?

as to the bigger tires prob 35 psi good all around psi for bigger than stock . but 1 way to check for sure is tire chalk test and stright road .

take tire chalk and go across tread with good thick line. drive about 1/2 mile in stright line. get out and check for chalk left on tire. ( no turning when testing also. )

you want about 2/3 even wear in the middle almost gone and 1/3 left on the out side edges hardly any wear.

to much worn in center = to much psi
    chalk left in center and not on edges = to low psi

i did this with my mud truck and 38" swamers and found 25 psi was all i needed per tire on 1 ton truck at 7000 lbs . great ride and great tire wear.