1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2012-13 Ohio Snow & Ice Thread

Discussion in 'Weather' started by Flawless440, Sep 2, 2012.

1. Flawless440

Flawless440 PlowSite.com Addict

Have to leave the last disappointing Snow season behind us. A new thread for a new season.

So whats everyone hearing? All my guys and the wife are saying this winter is the one. I'm staying negative, looking for different types of work this season. payup
  2. born2farm

born2farm 2000 Club Member

Wouldn't this be the 2012-2013 snow season?

I'm planning for the worst and praying for the best. It can't be much worse than last year, but I do think we will see more snow.
  3. secret_weapon

secret_weapon Senior Member

This is not much of a prediction, but... I have this cherry or some type of small crabapple tree in my front yard and last summer it did not produce. This summer it is filled just like 2 or 3 years ago when we got hit hard that winter. I'm hoping this is true. Also an Oak tree in the neighbors yard is dropping a ton of seeds, if i recall correctly, it too was 2 or 3 years ago. So with this I'm hoping for a good one.
  4. born2farm

I see you fixed the title..lol just giving you a hard time
  5. Flawless440

I never did, you have must been reading it wrong.

I like the sounds of the crab apple and the oakThumbs Up
  6. born2farm

Haha...I was just worried I had been putting the wrong date on all my contracts.
  7. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

My oak tree is doing the same thing and some of clients did that also and we got nailed that year. I am waiting to see how deep the wasps build their nests in the fields as they are a good predictor of the type of weather. Last yr only about 6 inches deep.
  8. Mid-Ohio Scaper

Mid-Ohio Scaper Senior Member

I guarantee it'll be better than last year! Thumbs Up
  9. KevinClark

KevinClark Senior Member

We have the same thing with our oaks out this way. Its gotta be better than last year......
  10. DeVries

DeVries PlowSite.com Addict

Anything will be better than last year if your per push. Last year was a hit if you were all contracts.
  11. KevinClark

KevinClark Senior Member

Were all per push. Looking to change that for the 2013-2014 season...... Last year hurt
  12. secret_weapon

secret_weapon Senior Member

How many times have you gotten stung digging up wasp nests just to see how deep they are?:cry:
  13. Flawless440

All push as well, scared to take the chance
  14. mynamewasmud

mynamewasmud Junior Member

The bee keepers have been putting sugar out near their hives because the bees are working so hard to make honey. This means very cold winter and likely Alberta Clippers.
  15. NickT

NickT Senior Member

Was thinking the same thing, ouch!! And how do you know where to dig? Are the holes that obvious?
  16. coldcoffee

coldcoffee Senior Member

When trees don't produce well, as we have experienced this past season as well as other seasons, the common factor in this case is the result of a mild winter w/ mild temps that occur too early in the season, when the plants should still be in a dormant state. The plant basically thinks it's spring and will open its buds too early, which are tender and vulnerable. If they didn't experience the intermittent or periodic cold snaps, high winds and winter like conditions once they open, they would be fine & probably yield a higher fruit, as the result of having a longer growing season. This is usually not the case, because even though we have had a mild winter, we still experience those types of conditions resulting in burned buds & bunt ends on the tender growth of the plant. You have all seen where this occurs in Florida citrus crops when the farmers / producers have to take desperate measures to save the crops. Their success or lack there of for that matter, shows later in the season in the commodities markets. This is where the price of citrus fruit goes up (due to poor results) and in that case might make the cost of concentrated orange juice go down.

Some trees / plants are much more capable of recovery than others (depending on their zone), and those that can (such as an Oak tree), will potentially overcompensate by producing more new growth, thus more new buds for more fruit. More sensitive plants can recover will some help, usually in the form of heaving pruning and deep root feeding. When a plant becomes damaged by pruning, deer damage, or by the elements...the plant recognizes or senses that damage and responds by throwing hormones to that damaged part of the plant, thus creating 2-3 new shoots for everyone that's damaged. The result in theory (if it is strong enough) will result in a hardier plant. Neglected plants or weaker plants can become more vulnerable to fungus, disease & insect problems if not given some care & assistance. The results have more to do w/ the plants past, than it does w/ it's future. However, potentially the plant may have developed a means of better sustaining itself for the future, much like that of a persons immune system.

The matter involving bees, wasps & other insects can be a broad amount of reasons. If you are noticing an increase to ground nests this season, it has more to do w/ the drought-like conditions we have experienced.
  17. tjjn06

tjjn06 Member
    from Ohio

Per push here too.
  18. cwby_ram

cwby_ram Senior Member

Subscribed. I keep hearing good winter, but we'll see. Per push here, too. As long as it's not as bad as last winter.
  19. muffy189

muffy189 Senior Member

per push here also, im hoping for a better winter than last year but as ive learned from the previous 26 years it goes in cycles so im not holding my breath too much.
  20. alsam116

alsam116 Senior Member