1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2012 1 ton Dump

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by BOSSMAN21, Jan 20, 2012.

1. BOSSMAN21

BOSSMAN21 Senior Member

Ok guys, I wanna start by saying I don't mean to start a contest or a bashing session. I am looking at buying a 1 ton dump truck in the near future. I am considering a Chevy, Ford, and a Dodge. I have owned all 3 brands, (had a bad impression from Ford). But I want to know about everyone that has one, and what they like about each and what they dislike. I don't like the fact about turning in the Hubs on the Ford. The truck will have a 9'2 Boss power V and a stainless sander. Pros and Cons please, Thanks in advance guys! Thumbs Up

2. 2006Sierra1500

2006Sierra1500 PlowSite.com Addict

Just me being a Chevy lover, I'd go Chevy or GMC. But, it all depends on the dealers in your area and the deals you can get on them. Just think of our 2011 Silverado 1500, sticker was 41, but we got it for less than 30 with the deals on it.

3. GMCHD plower

GMCHD plower PlowSite.com Addict

Scott, I've been talking about this exact thing with a landscaper buddy of mine. He currently has a 2010 GMC dump and with the t-bars all the way up and a 2" leveling kit he can just barely have his 8'2 vee with wings all the way retracted. He also has a 2011 2500hd. The HD holds the plow 10x better but he is still thinking of going the ford route. Food for thought.

4. agurdo17

agurdo17 Senior Member

First of I am a chevy guy. that said we have a 09 ford f350 dump. interior noise is good, ride is as good as it is going to get with a dump. holds 9'6 plow about 3/4 inch of the ground empty. with a 2 yard salter on the back and full of salt it holds plow about 1 3/4 off ground. heater works great and has good cold ac. I dont not like the vinyl seats as they are cold before warmed up and they also make me sweat bad over the course of my 5 hour plow route. v10 has plenty of power for what we do. most we do is haul a 16ft dump trailer around full of dirt and that quite a bit of weight. needs exhaust manifolds replaced as they are both cracking after only 12000 miles.

5. BOSSMAN21

BOSSMAN21 Senior Member

Thanks so much for the excellent advise, as well as everyone else. That is very Interesting, that the 3/4 ton holds the plow better. Are you going to buy a new 2012 2500HD? If you do, let me know. Also, does anyone have any pictures of 1 ton Dumps with the plows and/or sanders on them? Thanks!

6. Marek

Marek Senior Member

What type of weight do you need to carry ? The truck and body will weight around 10k that only leaves 3 k to carry which isnt much.

7. GMCHD plower

Well the 3/4ton has the new suspension GM put out, the Dump has the old style.

8. BOSSMAN21

BOSSMAN21 Senior Member

I actually knew that, I just had a bad moment...lol. I would like to get a 3/4 ton, but I am planning on bidding on a couple long dirt road's, they will be long pushes, maybe 3 miles? I thought the 1 ton would be better. Also, I will need to carry a 6-8 foot sander, I am going to keep the 05. Which does everyone think would better suit my needs? Thanks.

9. GMCHD plower

I'm still a teenager (16) but if you plan on pursueing plowing and landscaping, and plan on getting into plowing roads and multiple parking lots (i.e lots of sanding) I'd get a one ton dump. I know first hand that a dually dump rides alot better with a loaded sander then a regular srw HD does, they feel much more stable.

10. BOSSMAN21

BOSSMAN21 Senior Member

Same here, Im 18 tho. I just am look for people's suggestions, I am still learning. I know I don't want a diesel, the truck will be gas, anyone with experience with ford or dodge?

11. swtiih

swtiih PlowSite.com Addict

I would go with a 1 ton chevy or ford 4x4. If you plan on buying a dump I would just go with an F450 4x4

12. BOSSMAN21

BOSSMAN21 Senior Member

Do you own one? If so, do you have any pics? I love the sound of the heavier truck, thats for sure, I just don't know if I wanna go to the F-450 range or just the 1 ton range. Not sure yet.

13. OhioPlower

OhioPlower Senior Member

Ill get pics of my 2012 duramax dump with plow soon. Handles a 9ft western pro plus with wings VERY well. 450s and 550s Cost alot more to maintain.. tires brakes etc, I wanted a 450 or 550 but you cant beat the duramax allison combo

14. mustangman02232

mustangman02232 Senior Member

fords new 6.2 v8 is very impressive, I dont even think you can get a hemi in a one ton dump dodge, and im not sure what GM has in theirs maybe a 6.0? Go drive all 3 of them and see which one you like.

I wouldnt buy a new diesel now either, thank you tree huggers

15. BOSSMAN21

BOSSMAN21 Senior Member

Exactly what I was thinking! lol

16. swtiih

swtiih PlowSite.com Addict

I don't own one but there are times I wish I had one. If your gonna put a 9' plow and a spreader you will want the higher gvwr that a 450 will give you

17. superdog1

superdog1 Senior Member

I own a 94 GMC dually dump and the gross is 12,000 pounds. I have a 9" Western Pro Plow on the front and when I angle to the left or right, the plow is only 3 inches off the ground. I love the truck, but I don't like the split independent front end. The older GMC's with the solid front axle do a lot better IMHO when it comes to handling the weight. The negative side is that Chevy/GMC didn't make a solid front axle 4WD unit that year or a few others.

As far as the truck overall, I really like it. My buddy has a Ford F450 mason dump and I like it too, as I actually use it every now and then because it has a higher gross and I can get more mulch in it. I would rather drive my GMC though, as it is easier to see and plow with and it drives better.

18. V_Scapes

V_Scapes Senior Member

Check the truck in my sig. i bought it a year ago with 12k miles on it. unfortunatly it did heavy commercial plowing/salting so its got some rust on it and some hard winter miles. ive got 22k on it now, ive replaced the exhuast manifolds, rear rotars and U joints and just put new trans lines in it. but most of these problems are from salt corrosion. the hemi has plenty of power, the truck has done everything ive asked it to do. the best thing about the new cummins is they dont need the DEF. something to seriously consider.

19. TRKling

TRKling Member

To each's own there. I am not a cheerleader on the brake system on a GM product vs. Ford. I think Ford has a better braking system on their trucks.

Tires are tires. There are too many variables to say a Ford wears tires more than a Chevy. What are YOUR driving habits? You getting a 4x4 and running in 4x4 alot? You overload your truck and sag the rear tires? What kind of tires did you buy/own? etc.

I will agree that the Allison/Duramax combo is a great powerplant for any truck. If you want to get a truck with a set and willing to give up the new truck scent, then buy a 2007 or before if getting a diesel. None of the crazy emissions crap on there - no urea needed to be added to the engine!

20. mike ward

mike ward Member

if you want 1 ton dump I would go F550. This is 19,000gvw and is a lot harder to overload then a f350 or F450. you can put a undertailgate spreader or V-box or anything smaller...lots of choices. It will take a pro or pro+ 9' blade or a wideout. I perfer Ford as Chevy has nothing heavier than a 1 ton and we need more. Dodge has close to the F550 but it seems people either love or hate dodge. How good are the dealers or your area or what do your local mechanics recommend?