1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2011Silverado half ton Plow Weight

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by growmow, Nov 3, 2012.

1. growmow

growmow Junior Member
    from Canada

Would a plow weighing between 675 to 725 lbs be too much for my half ton?

Last edited: Nov 3, 2012
  2. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

Short answer: Yes

Long answer: No

3. growmow

growmow Junior Member
    from Canada

I probably should purchase a plow thats 650 lbs or less. Is that reasonable?

4. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Depending on the packages, maybe?? Would carrying properly placed ballast and at least timbrens. If you have a regular cab you can carry more plow with less damage. It's all about excess FAWR. Most of the major players offer a suitable plow for the vehicle in the 400-500 lbs range.

Regular cab or 147 inch crew cab?

5. growmow

growmow Junior Member
    from Canada

It is a regular cab, also a regular box which I think is 8ft. Front axle rating is 3950lbs, rear axle 3750lbs.
    The other reading was 6400lbs, forget what they called it. What weight can the complete truck with plow and ballast not exceed?

6. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

6400 is your Gross Vehicle Weight Rating. That's the "do not exceed" number.

Duplicate threads are a PITA

7. growmow

growmow Junior Member
    from Canada

Thanks for the reply 2COR517. I am new to forums and do not want to be a PITA. What do you mean by duplicate threads and how I can I avoid it?

8. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

6,400 lbs is what GM is rating that trucks load capacity at includes driver and all passengers.

9. snerdy

snerdy Member

10. ggb6259

ggb6259 Senior Member
    from SW MI

Every plow manufacturer has a Plow Selector of some sort.
    They will give you the weight of the plow and subframe.
    All the primary manufacturers are listed here on the home page or you can find individual sections in the forums...

I have a SnowDogg MD 75 on a 1500 Ram.
    Plow is 400lbs, 436 with a back drag edge.
    Subframe is aroung 60 lbs (best guess).

Been a great plow for the last three years or so.
    If I had a do over the new 7.5 Western HTS looks pretty decent... Under 500 libs...

You can find 8 footers but let the manufacturer tools help guide you..

Gary

Last edited: Dec 3, 2012
  11. I RocDuP I

I RocDuP I Member

I have an 8' Hiniker on the front of my truck. Plow weighs in around 630ish give or take. Front end only drops 1/2in with the blade up. I also have the Z85 suspension package. Just watch your temps when plowing and dont beat the thing. I use mine for commercial use