1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by unhcp, Jun 1, 2011.

1. unhcp

unhcp PlowSite.com Addict

The question that no one has answer to and 1 that I am struggling with myself. So I am looking at the 2011 f350 xlt supercab 4x4 single wheelbase. I am trying to figure out what motor to get, I do mostly snow plowing and city driving. Money is a concern, but I am just trying to figure out my best option. Here are some of my habits:

Truck will sit for a week or so without use
    Very little towing
    Lots of slow speeds and lots of snow plowing, truck can be running for more than 24hrs straight
    Lots of shifting
    less than 10k miles a year
    planning on keeping the truck for awhile, at least 5 years
  2. MrPLow2011

MrPLow2011 Senior Member
    from Boston

Well be weary of the new diesel, They are not as great as they are trying to let people believe. Its the 6.0 with a new badge on the side. Recently towed some bikes about 400 miles the other day. We had no more than 10k behind us. My friends truck got 8 mpg!!!! I would go with that new gasser. I know its up over 300hp and doesnt feel under powered. Oh and when you say shifting you mean reverse to drive? Dodge is only one with a manual transmission. And lots of gassers run 24hr shifts during storms. The electrical system may not like it if you add lots of lights. So save the money buy a gasser.
  3. wizardsr

wizardsr PlowSite.com Addict

Have you ever considered making a constructive post?

OP, I see nothing in what you described to warrant the added cost of the diesel, a gasser would suit you just fine. Thumbs Up
  4. unhcp

only talking about fords here, mpg is a huge plus for the diesel but like I said I do really no towing
  5. wizardsr

wizardsr PlowSite.com Addict

For the 8 grand they want for the new diesel, you can sure buy a lot of gas!
  6. framer1901

framer1901 Senior Member

Maybe look at resale here - 8g up front for a diesel is how much out back when you trade it in or sell it. I think the market for a 1 ton gasser is pretty thin.

With what you describe as your needs, the gasser seems fine although plowing in a diesel verses a gas truck is no comparison.

I have had all the diesels from 7.3 to current. The 2005 and the 2011 seem to have comparable mileage, from my memory. My 2011 gets 14 towing a landscape trailer all day, the 2008,9 and 10 get 10mpg.

I'm real biased though, I have a gasser POS sitting in the shop that's been nothing but problems but also I see the less beating the diesels take from towing and plowing.

For me - it seems that you get a very good chunk of that initial diesel cost back when you go to sell / trade and staring at that POS makes the decision easier.
  7. unhcp

I have a good feel for the mpgs people are getting driving around, but what about while plowing? I have a 02 5.4 superduty now and it gets around 10 or less while pushing snow, how about a diesel? Does the diesel like to plow? I know the truck weighs about 1000lbs more so how does that shake out? The gear ratio will be a lot lower on a diesel and I heard reverse can be a bit slow on those trucks?
  8. Montosi82

Montosi82 Member

I'm having a similar debate between diesel and gas. Never owned a diesel before and have always wanted one. Any one have reliable figures on the new gas motors MPG?

9. swtiih

swtiih PlowSite.com Addict

probably have to drive a 100,000 miles to brake even between gas and diesel fuel wise
  10. unhcp

yeah about 100k to break even on the mileage.

the new gas motor gets about 10-12 city and 14-16 highway
  11. Raymond S.

Raymond S. Senior Member

I got a new 6.2 in my F350 single cab. Absolutely love the power. Mileage in town averages 12, plowing/salting averages about 9-10. Very happy to this point w/ my decision.
  12. unhcp

I heard its a good motor with plenty of power and the new model year has really up'd the ante!
  13. snowplowpro

snowplowpro Senior Member
    from NJ

i would say test drive them both and see what you like but the gas motor should be fine.
  14. ken643

ken643 Senior Member

I have a new 2011 f350 6.7, I have had it about 3 weeks, getting around 12-14 around town and at 75 mph i get around 18.5 highway. quiet as hell and dam fast, lots of power. (400HP 800 Tq)I love the truck!!
  15. Can-Boy

Can-Boy Member

I got 2 new 2011's in feb. Both with 6.2 gas and love them.Dealt in a 5.4 and a 6.0. Will be along time before I go Diesel again.Too much to buy and to much to maintain.
  16. damian

damian Senior Member

if you keep any of the modern diesels out of warranty you better be ready for the bills.just did an 03 duramax long block,no fuel system,as cheap as possible,$10.000,duramax injectors vin code 1, $4200, 6.0 ford injectors $3500,6.0 egr delete,hp pump oil cooler,$2500,6.0 head replacement $7000,6.4 ford contaminated fuel system injectors and hp pump $7000,cummins injector replacement $3000 dodge guys are my happiest owners,just had a customer stuck out of town with a 2007 6.0 at dealer blown motor $19000. not many customers happy with the frt weight capacity of chevy diesels.not many happy with mileage,not many happy with dealer service, most of my fleets going back to gas.
  17. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

I run Gassers, My current plow truck is a 05 Dodge with 24,000 miles on a 5.7 liter Hemi w/4:10 rears w/plow prep. Age will have gotten to the rest of the truck long before a diesel would be broken in. I save on front end components and can LEGALLY carry more blade becuase of a major weight saving and much lower tare weight on the front axle. This truck has pushed a Snoway 9'2" HTV Vee blade, 8'6" 32 series straight blade, 8'6" Mega Vee with 9" scoop wings, a 8'10" 29R and carries a 2yard saltdogg. It tows a 12K GVW trailer. It rarely moves without a load and it has never failed to do what I've asked it. It has ran for 36 hours at a time. We never shut the trucks down once we start, they run even during stops/breaks to charge batteries and cool trans fluids, we average 6mpg plowing snow and about nine towing. Oh an it has the sweetest exhaust note of any factory engine I've heard.

I've had one reverse piston seal blow. It was covered under warranty if it had not been it was a 125.00 part (that's the good one not the OEM) and about an hour labor.
  18. unhcp

good info, really getting a better grasp on the motors
  19. blueline38

blueline38 Senior Member

I have about 6,000 miles on my gasser and consistantly get around 12.6mpg city. I towed a 6,000lb travel trailer loaded, plus firewood at 65mph for about an hour and a half and was getting 11.6mpg. Love the truck, the power and the fuel mileage given the size of the truck.
  20. johndmax365

johndmax365 Member
    from Iowa

The 6 liter is built by Navistar and the 6.7 is built by Ford which are two different companies. Not even close to the same motor. Trust me the 6.7 is a much better motor as it uses pzio injectors instead of those junk heui injectors on the 6 liter. Navistar was trying to run way to high of rail pressures with the heui injectors to make the motor quieter which worked but the injectors couldnt stand up to the higher pressures. Im getting 19 mpg around town and 22 mpg on the highway with my 6.7 and they come with a 100k mile warranty on the motor anyways if your still concerned.