1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2011 vmd works then quits

Discussion in 'SnowDogg Snow Plows' started by mogeekn, Nov 20, 2014.

1. mogeekn

mogeekn Junior Member

bought my 2011 VMD brand new 4 years ago. This summer it actually stayed outside. Snow fell 13" on 11/10/14 and I threw the plow on and left.
    It worked great for 11 straight hours, Then on and off for the next 2 days. Then I got in lifted and drove around for 2 hrs, dropped the plow, when I returned 1/2 hr later it wouldn't lift. I could hear it, sounded like it was trying to work, but got nothing. I jacked it up, chained it went home and disconnected in the heated garage. It sat overnight I drained and refilled fluid, re hooked and worked fine till I tried couple hrs later and then same thing. I repeated, garage, drain, fill, hook. Again it worked great, ran around and used it a bit. then it sat 2 days un touched, started it, tested it and everything functioned great, 15 minutes later it slowly stopped moving. I can hear it, but it wont move again. anyone have any Ideas, where do I start?

2. spitmon1

spitmon1 Junior Member
    from Vermont

You can hear the motor running but no movement with the plow? I had a similar issue and discovered the pickup screen in the hydraulic fluid reservoir was plugged. Cleaned it up and runs like new.
    Steve

3. JustJeff

JustJeff 2000 Club Member

Have you changed the screens?

4. mogeekn

mogeekn Junior Member

OK, I busted all my lines loose, drained all the fluids.
    I pulled each solenoid valve and checked them, they were fine.
    I took off the reservoir and pulled the screen and magnet, screen had a grayish snot like scum on it. not completely covering it but easily 80%.
    The magnet was covered in a smooth black paste like substance.
    If it was metal shavings then they were super duper fine, (wasn't metal). made a huge mess on the floor in my garage, but its my garage I'll do what I want....and I didn't want hydro fluid all over it, damnit!
    Focus!
    OK, I re assembled everything, making sure to keep everything clean.
    I fired it up, slowly moving cylinders, and adding fluid till she stayed level.

I ran it through all it's motions repeatedly, and shut it down.
    came back 3hrs later, ran her through the tests again and its good for now.

ill let yall know if theres any more problems. thank you

5. spitmon1

spitmon1 Junior Member
    from Vermont

Exactly what I found and cleaned up. Hope that solves the problem!
    Steve

6. mogeekn

mogeekn Junior Member

so, due to lack of snow I really wasn't able to test out the plow. After pulling the screen, cleaning, and putting back together with new fluid I thought I was good. Nope, 2 nights ago I got called after a couple inches, and 45 mins in, the plow quit. I can tell real quick because it struggles to lift and little by little the wings quit working. I have learned that once its raised to leave it up.
    Anyway, the motor runs like theres no load against it, but fails to move cylinders. It has fluid. Its apart again and internal screen was fine, anybody have any ideas, I hate to bring it 75 miles and drop off at the dealers, Im capable of repairs if I knew whats wrong