1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2011 Superduty

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by XplowX, Sep 26, 2009.

1. XplowX

XplowX Junior Member

i just saw some new pictures of the 2011 superduty, and wow. I cant wait till my lease is up on the one i have now. The new 6.2l gasser with multi- variable timing, he 6.7 scorpion desiel. I have to say ford walking all over the competion.

2. Newdude

Newdude Senior Member

3. chcav1218

chcav1218 Senior Member

holy smokes. thats gonna be a niiiiiiiiiiice truck. I hope the new motors kick a$$. Are there any stats out for them? is there a v-10 option still?

4. Milwaukee

Milwaukee 2000 Club Member

There no real info on V10 some say NO and some say yes.

Let wait few months and see if they really offer V10 in superduty.

6.2L wouldn't be good for tow since V10 produce more torque. But it better than 5.4L

it will have 2 spark plugs on each cylinders.

5. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

King Ranch looks like about 65,000

6. Newdude

Newdude Senior Member

From what I've read, the 5.4 and the 6.8 are gone, and the 6.2 V8 steps in, estimated at 400hp, 400+ lt.lbs. The 6.7 Powerstroke estimate floating around was 390+hp, 720+ ft.lbs. The 6.8 V-10 is available on the F-450/F-550 chassis cabs.

From the posted article above:

6.2 Stats:

SOHC valvetrain with roller-rocker shafts: The single overhead camshaft (SOHC) per cylinder head design results in a stiff valvetrain that allows optimized camshaft lift profiles and results in great low-speed torque. The roller-rocker shafts allow valve angles to be splayed, resulting in optimized intake and exhaust port layout for better breathing.

Dual-equal variable cam timing: Intake and exhaust valve opening and closing events are phased at the same time to optimize fuel economy and performance throughout the engine speed range and throttle positions.

Two spark plugs per cylinder: Due to the large bore size, two spark plugs per cylinder are used to more efficiently burn the fuel-air mixture in the combustion chamber, enabling better fuel economy and increased engine torque. The twin plugs also help the engine maintain a smooth, stable idle.

Dual knock sensors: A knock sensor on each bank of cylinders of the V-8 engine allows the spark timing of each of the cylinders to be individually optimized real time, throughout the engine speed range. The engine learns the optimum timing via an adaptive algorithm.

Better engine crankcase "breathing" and efficiency: Significant development work and computer-aided engineering optimized the cylinder block for more efficient airflow in the crankcase as the pistons move up and down in the bores, resulting in improved torque at higher engine speeds. Piston-cooling jets squirt oil on the underside of the pistons to keep the piston crowns cool under extreme operating conditions. The cooling jets also allow for a higher compression ratio for better engine efficiency and faster engine oil warm-up on cold starts, also improving fuel economy.

The In-House 6.7 Diesel:

First use of a compacted graphite iron (CGI) engine block in a Super Duty-class vehicle in North America; CGI is stronger than cast iron, and Ford successfully has used the material in engine blocks in products around the world. The block structure was optimized for reduced weight and maximum strength to meet the demands of higher torque and more horsepower and enable class-leading fuel economy.

Unique inboard exhaust and outboard intake architecture, an automotive-industry first for a modern production diesel, reduces overall exhaust system volume, which leads to better throttle response; a reduced exhaust system surface area minimizes heat transfer to the engine compartment and improves NVH (noise, vibration and harshness).

The turbocharger features an industry-first dual-sided compressor wheel that works in a single housing. The unit is uniquely center-mounted on a pedestal low in the back of the valley for improved NVH. The design allows the single unit to deliver the advantages of a twin-turbocharger system in a smaller, more efficient package, combining the benefits of a small turbocharger (faster response) and a large turbocharger (ability to compress and force more air into the engine for more power) in one unit.

The high-pressure fuel system injects fuel at more than 29,000 psi. The system delivers up to five injection events per cylinder per cycle using eight-hole piezo injectors to spray fuel into the piston bowl. The direct-injection system is calibrated and phased for optimum power, fuel efficiency and NVH.

Aluminum cylinder heads for reduced weight; the mid-deck construction with dual water jackets provides increased strength and optimal cooling; six-head bolts, instead of four as found on other engines, help improve sealing and maintain cylinder integrity even with the higher firing pressures.

Compatible up to B20 fuel, allowing greener fueling options of up to 20 percent biodiesel and 80 percent petroleum diesel.

The new 6-speed TorqShift transmission:

New TorqShift transmission harnesses and manages the power; Live Drive PTO available
    The all-new 6R140 heavy-duty TorqShift six-speed automatic transmission was designed to manage the high low-end torque produced by the new diesel engine. The same basic transmission also is mated to the new gasoline engine, giving customers of either engine the ability to efficiently get the increased torque and horsepower to the ground. Engineered for greater efficiency and fuel economy, improvements include refined architecture to provide relatively low clutch speeds, which result in lower drag losses, and optimized fluid levels and drainback to reduce churning of fluid while also providing superior lubrication.

In addition to hardware-based improvements, the new transmission features enhanced Tow Haul with integrated engine exhaust braking and SelectShift Automatic capability, which includes Progressive Range Select and a manual mode, allowing customers to select the gear to suit their needs.

The new TorqShift transmission also enables the first application of Live Drive PTO (Power Take Off) in a Super Duty-class vehicle. On 2011 Super Duty diesels with the PTO prep option, the PTO output gear is linked through the torque converter to the engine crankshaft. This allows the transmission to power auxiliary equipment such as snowplows, aerial lifts, tow truck lifts, cement mixers or dump trucks. The power is available any time the engine is running.

Pioneered on agricultural applications, the Live Drive feature is particularly useful when mobile PTO function is required during start-stop operations, such as salt spreading or snow plowing. "A fully functional Live Drive mobile PTO will allow Super Duty customers to take full advantage of the equipment on their trucks," said Al Bruck, 6R140 transmission engineering manager.

7. Milwaukee

I wondered how much for 2011 Harley Davidson F450

8. Newdude

Newdude Senior Member

Too much lol. A current one with all the bells and whistles comes in at $69,440. :dizzy:

9. Milwaukee

Wow

we saw 2009 F450 Harley Davidson full load plus 4wd and diesel.

For $60,000 dollars.

10. Sabsan84

Sabsan84 Senior Member

nice, but it looks a like a 150 now,lol...still all the same sheet metal except from the hood forward.

11. wizardsr

wizardsr PlowSite.com Addict

Take another look at the bed... Quite a few changes there too... Only thing the same is the cab structure and doors, but why fix what aint broke...

I wonder what the cost difference is going to be between a plow running off the live-drive PTO and typical electric over hydraulic... I get goose bumps thinking about what I could do with all those extra amps all night long... :nod:

No V10 in the 250/350 is a shame... The 6.2 at 400 tq is going to be a major disappointment compared to the V10 when towing and plowing... :angry:

12. Newdude

Newdude Senior Member

I think the 6.2 will do quite well. Mind you the numbers are still estimates, so hopefully it pulls some good torque.

13. suzuki0702

suzuki0702 Senior Member

i agree the new 6.2 is going to be impressive. only thing i dont like is 2 sparkplugs per cylinder! thats going to suck changing those! lol. but more horse than the v10 not much less in the torque category. with the new 6speeds different gearing patterns you wont even notice! this truck is going to be amazing. electronic push button rear locking differential! just one of the things fords added to this truck! whats the v10 ? 457ft/lbs of torque? and this is going to be 400? thats like 12% less torque? ford his this one out of the park fellas!
    read the real articles here.

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/887278-2011-super-duty-unveiled-with-pics.html

www.ford-trucks.com/forums

14. Chrisxl64

Chrisxl64 Senior Member
    from CT

Hmmm taking a step back in technology going with the SOHC, seems odd, and Ive heard bad schtuff about the VCT. But we'll see where it goes,,,I'm sure the 6.2 will not disappoint tho. I like the new body lines but really dont like the new front fascia. The new tranny will probably sell the truck for me,, the 5r110(T-Shift) really changed alot of people I know's opinion on the old addage of "Ford Trannys". I hope they will maintain the same frame and mechanicals. I've been through a bunch of vehicles always trying to get something new, and "cooler" but I must say my current truck is the only only that I've been totally happy with and have no yearning to "step up" anytime soon. Who will be the first to buy one is the question :D

15. ford550

ford550 Senior Member

When is it due out for production? I think I will have to finally replace the '99 F550 with one of those in a F550 chassis with a dump. Niiiiice.

16. ultimate plow

ultimate plow PlowSite.com Addict
    from N. IL

The grill is gonna take some getting used to. Im gonna miss the obs and 05-07 trucks. And the PSD badge on the door. The headlights almost look like dodges new ones. But I really want to get a 6.7 scorpion. I think this new 2011 style will look so damm good in all black.

17. DeVries

DeVries PlowSite.com Addict

I think the lights look like a Dodge.

18. sbrennan007

sbrennan007 Senior Member

Personally, the Jury is still out for me on this one.

I can't really tell if I absolutely like the looks of this yet, but it might be one of those things that will I'm sure grow on ya.

The thing I just can't get over is that this new Diesel, either when it comes out or a year or so down the line is going to be like a $10,000 option!!! :eek:

The Diesel's are getting to the point to where they are never going to ever pay for themselves, along with the fact that the Gas engines will tow 'most' of what people will need them for.

I remember what doesn't seem like all that long ago the Diesel option costing ~$4K as an option and thinking "WOW" that's allot of money for a Diesel option.

Now these things are going to be almost 3X that within the next few years.

19. plowtime1

plowtime1 Senior Member

SB, I agreee, at what point is it truly worth the purchase; are they gonna continue to produce ball joints that you cant grease and having them fail @ 20k. I'm all for "better design,fuel economy and longevity", but it seems to me its on ongoing BS statement by all manufacturers. JMO

20. 02powerstroke

02powerstroke PlowSite.com Addict

I give up......