1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2011 snowdogg vmd wants to go but wont

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by mogeekn, Nov 20, 2014.

1. mogeekn

mogeekn Junior Member

I bought my 2011 VMD brand new 4 years ago. This summer it actually stayed outside. Snow fell 13" on 11/10/14 and I threw the plow on and left.
    It worked great for 11 straight hours, Then on and off for the next 2 days. Then I got in lifted and drove around for 2 hrs, dropped the plow, when I returned 1/2 hr later it wouldn't lift. I could hear it, sounded like it was trying to work, but got nothing. I jacked it up, chained it went home and disconnected in the heated garage. It sat overnight I drained and refilled fluid, re hooked and worked fine till I tried couple hrs later and then same thing. I repeated, garage, drain, fill, hook. Again it worked great, ran around and used it a bit. then it sat 2 days un touched, started it, tested it and everything functioned great, 15 minutes later it slowly stopped moving. I can hear it, but it wont move again. anyone have any Ideas, where do I start?

2. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

How are you draining it? draining the entire system angle, lift arms and hoses? Run any Hydroflush though it? IMO it's frozen.

3. mogeekn

mogeekn Junior Member

I tore everything apart, all the lines, disconnected, the pump res from frame.
    now I am trying to separate the resavoir from the housing so I can look at the screen in there. yeah, I don't get it. one minute its fine and then it acts like its starving for fluid

4. mogeekn

mogeekn Junior Member

I think it was the screen inside the reservoir, it was covered in goo.
    Thank you basher, btw, what is hydro flush and how do you use it?

5. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

That is normally either a dissimilar fluid effect, incompletely cleaned parts during assembly(leaving incompatible machine oils behind) or paraffin separation from improper or Cheap azz fluid.

Hydro flush is a meyer product (best thing they sell IMO) It is designed to clean, flush and lubricate the internals. Drain the system, fill it with Hydro flush, cycle it though all it's actions then drain and refill with a quality plow oil (Meyer, Boss, Snoway.)

If you have disassembled the unit clean individual parts with ether. It breaks down all the bad stuff and dries without leaving a residue. DO NOT use break-clean, gum-cutter, etc. they all leave a residue. Buy the cheapest stuff, you don't want top end lubricants, etc just plain old ether. Use it in a well ventilated area, no exposed flame.

6. mogeekn

mogeekn Junior Member

well I'll know that for this spring. I cleaned the screen and reservoir, soapy water.
    I used very little brake cleaner in some spots, but sprayed on the rag and wiped certain areas clean and then immediately wiping down areas where brake cleaner was used.
    So ether and hydroflush this spring, how about the check valves or solenoids, any maintenance or attention given to them?
    thanks again

7. mogeekn

mogeekn Junior Member

older pic, four years ago when I 1st got it.
    It looks a bit tougher these days but the site isn't allowing me to upload any pic but this one

plow 5.jpg

8. mogeekn

mogeekn Junior Member

no more chrome on it, bottom half is all black, new tires and rims, went up to 17s, all black, and Im finishing up the rest of the little body work I have left and Im gonna bed liner the entire bottom half of this truck. "bed armor". matter of fact Im gonna get er done as soon as I send this, thanks