1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2011 silverado 1500 5.3 regular cab short bed

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by jturbo86, Jan 14, 2015.

1. jturbo86

jturbo86 Junior Member

Ive decided to buy my fathers 11 1500.
    Basically i need a truck for work, my side business......and for my 200ft driveway. It has the 5.3, z71, and plow prep package. Can someone give me some details on whats included with the plow prep, larger alt, etc.

Im also looking for recommendations on a plow. I like to do a few driveways and small lots on the side to earn some extra income. What would you guy recommend for a plow?

I live on Long Island so we do get some decent snow storms.

Thanks for the help,
  2. leigh

leigh PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

I think dealer support is #1, any brand will be ok,check dealer websites for recommended size,7.5' most likely.Whose close by?
  3. JAJA

JAJA Member

Mines a 03 1500 with plow prep older body style compared to yours but you should have larger alt, larger trans cooler, upgraded shocks, and maybe next size bigger torsion bars to handle more weight but not sure on the last one. I have a boss 7.6 super duty and I like how it does I would recommend big three upgrade, timbrens, and have good trans fluid other things can't hurt but that would be a good start go with what ever plow you like, sometimes guys pick a plow depending on how close dealers are for them in case they need parts or service I like boss but that's just me
  4. jturbo86

jturbo86 Junior Member

not sure who is local ill have to look into that, im thinking of buying something used or possibly seeing what my financing options are.

the big three and a second battery are going to the best first things I do. Ill have to get ahold of some welding cable. Thanks for the info thus far, hoping to make some money on the side this winter.
  5. gmcsirrra

gmcsirrra Member
    from maine

should have a more powerful alternator , heaver duty front springs and a rocker switch for a strobe light and id go with a fisher 7 and a half foot HD plow its not recromended for that truck but it will handle it fine that's what I have hanging off my gmc sierra 2011 extended cab
  6. JAJA

JAJA Member

Working on my 1/0 wiring now got all my wire from knukocept
  7. jturbo86

jturbo86 Junior Member

Lol me too bud, can't beat the price and it's super flexible. When I was doing a battery relocation on my car everyone hated on me for using it bc is "junk cable" but F that, zero voltage drop, lightweight and cheap!
  8. chevyzrule810

chevyzrule810 PlowSite.com Addict

I agree 7.5 fisher HD plow
  9. chevyzrule810

10. JAJA

JAJA Member

Yeah going to do the grounds tomorrow still waiting on the anl fuse so I can do the one off the alternator to replace that 10 gauge fusible link
  11. dieseld

dieseld Senior Member
    from 90210

Care to elaborate on what is all involved in the big 3 upgrade?
  12. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

That's a sharp truck!
  13. Doughboy12

Doughboy12 PlowSite Fanatic

I think it goes like this:
    1. alternator
    2. battery (2nd)
    3. Wires to/from both
  14. chevyzrule810

If you look at the top of the forum there is a sticky that shows you how to install a second battery
  15. jturbo86

jturbo86 Junior Member

Same truck except mine is black. Think I found a plow now I'll have to look into a cradle. I'll keep everyone updated and post pictures of the big 3 and second battery when I do it.
  16. jturbo86

jturbo86 Junior Member

Chevy, have you had any problems with the truck or anything I should watch out for?