1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2011 GMC/CHEVY HD's... really worth it versus a '10?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by mkwl, Mar 9, 2010.

1. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

Need input guys- is the extra 800LBS additional FGAWR really worth it for a Gas truck? There are some pretty wicked good deals on '10's right now, is waiting and paying for the '11 really going to be worth it on a truck equipped with the gas engine?

I also found out that the '11's with the gas engine is a 5,400GAWR, not the 6,000 they promised! The front end is still weaker than ford... grrrrr

Last edited: Mar 9, 2010
  2. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping PlowSite Veteran

Nope!! Grab the 10 and just get the heavier torsion bars from the '11 trucks. Sure there are alot of other differences, but that bigger price tag is a biggie!!! Plus you could get one heck of a deal on a '10 once the '11s start showing their face on the lots

3. mossman381

mossman381 2000 Club Member

I don't know why people keep saying this. The front end is not weaker than the junk out dated ford straight axle. The chevy front axle is more than strong enough wesport

4. albhb3

albhb3 PlowSite Veteran

mossman did you really just invite the ford guys back

5. mossman381

mossman381 2000 Club Member

Sorry, I just get tired of hearing it :help:

6. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

Straight axle outdated? I'll take a straight axle over IFS chicken bone axles anyday.

7. albhb3

albhb3 PlowSite Veteran

dude you drive a dodge go back to your corner

8. SawHoss

SawHoss Member

Alot of people have this IFS phobia. GM is the only one that knows how to build them correctly.For the hundreds of thousands of miles I've put on since I bought my 1988, all of them with snowplows, I've NEVER had a problem.

9. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

I was just busting balls since it was said the Ford guys would come back.

10. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

No sig? What do you drive?

11. albhb3

albhb3 PlowSite Veteran

Well lets do simple math for you is that Ok I called out the ford guys so thats off the list called out the dodge guy so thats off the list sure is hell wouldnt drive a turdola so lets see is it clear yet dont go away mad just go away:gunsfiring:

12. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

Oh you're another annoying teenager on where who wants to have a GM truck. I got it now.

13. WilliamOak

WilliamOak PlowSite.com Addict

I have three words for you, punctuation, punctuation, punctuation .

14. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

I guess I didn't make it clear enough that I was just joking around and I made some kid mad. I guess daddy owns a GM and it hurt his feelings.

The front ends of GMs are just fine and yes they can last a long time. I had a Chevy for a month and I didn't like how the steering was so loose.

15. SawHoss

SawHoss Member

You can't fix stupid!

16. cubanb343

cubanb343 Senior Member
    from ERIE

If the 11 frames are redesigned, wouldn't the torsion bars be different and therefore not fit the 10s? just a thought. also, the GM gas trucks now w/ 4800 lbs can carry the heavy plows, so what's the need for the 6k front on a 6.0? the heavy upgrade is mainly for the duramax plus plow combo I think.

So, basicallly the 09s and 10s should be available for insanely good deals

17. albhb3

albhb3 PlowSite Veteran

Yes I would say the 2010 I would have to imagine they will slash prices a good deal to make way for the upgraded suspension. Most of us have found out one way or another it seems as there is always some kind of first year problem. I would say how many different ways can you make a torsion bar, Im no engineer but I wouldnt think many. One thing is for sure that I think everyone is wondering how well it will hold up. We may have to wait 2-3 years before we really see what problems there are.

18. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

Let me re-phrase that statement- "in terms of weight rating is is weaker"- ford rates theirs at 6,000, the current GM's are at 4,800 and the '11's will be at 5,400.

19. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

So then the general consensus seems to be to jump on a '10 once the '11's come out- as the gasser will be fine with the lighter front end? Warranty is the same, right?

Any powertrain improvements with the gasser (to the trans, t-case, rear-end)?

20. cubanb343

cubanb343 Senior Member
    from ERIE

I was just thinking that the new torsion bars might be longer or thicker or something, and not match up to the current trucks. Heck, I read that they even changed the bolt pattern for 2011. So forget about keeping old wheels for wintertime with a new model:realmad: