1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2011 GMC auxiliary lights

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by mitchp, Oct 29, 2011.

1. mitchp

mitchp Member

Now that Ive been driving this truck for the past 3 months I can see that the factory fog lights are as bright as a flashlight. Not even close to the lights on my old truck, a 2005 Chevy 2500. Are there any upgrades that I can put in their place ? What about mounting a set of Hellas or something similar ?

2. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

You could always do hids.

3. My bowtie

My bowtie Senior Member

Fogs are not supposed to be brite. But i agree these trucks could use some additional lumens....

4. mossman381

mossman381 2000 Club Member

The fogs are not aux lights. They are for fog, heavy rain and snow. But if you want them brighter then HIDs are the way to go. Also keep in mind that HIDs are not legal. I never had any problems getting pulled over with mine. I am going to get a set for my 02.

Factory lights on the left and HIDs on the right

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. jgsxr750

jgsxr750 Member

HID's

Just be careful with HID's. I installed them in my 2007 Tahoe with 35w ballasts and they bulbs melted my fog light housings. had to fight with the supplier to get them to replace the housings. they finally sent another set of fog and housings with 24w ballasts. even the regular head lights started to get a film/ fog in the housing from the HID's. stupid plastic housing don't like the heat that the HID's put out. i run HID's in two other vehicle with no issues. go figure. but i have to tell you it is night and day with visibility when you have the HID;s installed.

6. mitchp

mitchp Member

I know theyre not supposed to be bright but these lights are useless. I parked in my driveway and turned them on with the headlights off and it looked like they illuminated about 6' in front of the truck. It looks like they have a regular bulb like a taillight and I dont think they can be adjusted. Thats why I was asking about aftermarket lights. I had PIAAs and Perlux fog lights on some of my older trucks but it was a bit easier to mount them when theres a real metal bumper on the front.

7. mossman381

Are you sure you didn't have 55w ballasts. I have heard that sometimes they get mixed up. I had the 35w and they do not get hot enough to melt anything. On my 08, the passenger side did get fogged up but I think that is a seal problem with the bulbs not a heat issue.

8. mossman381

I thought the new trucks have a one piece bumper now. My 08 had a steel piece in the center. Could have easily mounted lights on it.

9. jgsxr750

jgsxr750 Member

Yeah i checked it by changign the ballast out of another vehicle which was 35 w and installed it. still melted the lights. i went thru 6 sets of lighta before removing the HID kit. maybe i should just try another vendor but after 6 sets of lights i figured it jsut wasnt ment to be in this truck.

10. mitchp

mitchp Member

I guess my problem is going to be what set of lights will look right mounted in front of the grill. I took a look at the bumper and thats the only area that I can see that might look right with a set of lights. I dont really want any kind of push bar so my options are limited.

11. mossman381

Go to summitracing.com and look at the procomp off road lights. I got a set of the slim 50 watt for my sisters polaris ranger and they are bright. You can see just about as far as you aim them. They are pretty slim so you should be able to bolt them to the bumper in front of the grill.