1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2011....gas or diesel? Or used?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by NoFearDeere, Nov 23, 2010.

1. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

Ive been toying with the idea of buying a new truck. And Chevy now has 0% plus no payments til March. I just cant decide if I should get a diesel or gas? I trade just about every 2-3 years and dont know if its worth it for the Duramax. If I would buy a new Duramax I would be keeping it for awhile though. Or my other option is to buy a 2009 Duramax with 18K and all the options I want for $43K. Just not sure what mileage people are getting out of the newer 6.0's and LML Duramax's. Thanks for anyones input.

2. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

You should be able to find a fairly loaded LTZ LML easy for the high 40's. I don't have many miles on my LML but it get around 19 Hwy and 15 city.

3. stacks04

stacks04 Senior Member
    from ct

I would not be going for the lmm if your looking for mileage.

4. mycirus

mycirus Senior Member
    from Mass

Now you tell me....But I am getting 17 with a light foot. Better than my 01 gasser. I love the Dmax though. Cant wait to plow in it.

5. cubicinches

cubicinches PlowSite.com Addict

Like JD Dave said... Should be able to buy a 2011 LTZ Duramax for mid-high 40's. I have a 2011 extended cab short box LTZ Duramax... $53k sticker, paid $46k. It gets 14-15 mpg city and 19-20 mpg highway. If you trade every 2-3 years, consider also that the diesel maintains a higher resale value.

6. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

I was thinking I should be able to get a LTZ 6.0 for 38-39ish and I wont spend more than $47K on a loaded LTZ Duramax. I really want the Duramax, but damn dont know if I should.

7. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

If you don't really need one just keep looking untill you find a good deal. There is nothing bad about a 6.0L but the it's hard to go back after you drive a Dmax. I also keep my trucks for close to 10 years so the diesel makes more sence to me.

8. 05RedLLY

05RedLLY Junior Member
    from Iowa

Duramax....enough said. You wouldn't be sorry.

9. Snowzilla

Snowzilla Senior Member
    from Iowa

I can't believe the prices on new diesel trucks of all 3 brands. They just keep climbing & climbing each year to unobtainable prices.

10. Raconteur

Raconteur Senior Member
    from MA

11. cubicinches

That's what everyone with a 6.0 says.... :D

12. 05RedLLY

05RedLLY Junior Member
    from Iowa

:laughing::laughing::laughing:

13. Raconteur

Raconteur Senior Member
    from MA

Oh, I wanted the diesel . Resisted the urge . Instead I got the 6.0 with a new XLS and 6K in change . The final thought was
    I dont tow
    $3.25/ gal
    DEF
    Diesel engine that doesnt smell like a diesel anymore .
    Get my diesel kicks with a smelly CAT C9 in my Class A

14. cubicinches

I wouldn't be able to own the Duramax if it smelled like diesel... Bleccch! ;)

15. blowerman

blowerman PlowSite.com Addict

Truck aside, don't use the 0% as a deciding factor. First, asses your needs (or want if money is no problem) set a budget, find the right truck, then keep it for a longer period.

16. Raconteur

Raconteur Senior Member
    from MA

I love the smell of an older running diesel in the morning .

17. mossman381

mossman381 2000 Club Member

Why would you spend 7 grand more on a diesel if you don't NEED it. If you are not towing everyday then it is a waste of money. I guess some people have more money than brains. So why not spend 7 grand to blow black smoke :nod:

18. cubicinches

Actually... It's about $9500 more by the time you pay for the Allison transmission.

I've wasted way more money on worse things than a diesel pickup truck. :)

And, I've got a lot of brains... I use them to make all the money I've got! :D

19. mossman381

mossman381 2000 Club Member

It was about $6500 more when I bought my truck. I didn't know the price went up that high.

I am just defending the gas motor. I am not directing anything at you. Not everybody needs a diesel. Not everybody wants a diesel.

20. cubicinches

It's all good bud... Just havin' some fun here. ;)

I certainly understand the argument about the money for the diesel... the whole truck is grossly overpriced actually.