1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2011 Ford F250 4x4 w/o Limited Slip

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by EdNewman, Nov 11, 2010.

1. EdNewman

EdNewman Senior Member

I'm adding a 2011 F250 4x4 to my fleet. The dealer has a 4x4 w/o the limited slip. Actually, 2011's are "electronic locking axle" which uses the brakes as a limited slip. The truck has all terrain tires and will have a 1.4yd snow-ex salter so plenty of weight. Any reason why I should be worried? Everything else that is local with the electronic locking axle has a bunch of other crap so its a quick jump of $2000+

2. Division

Division Member

You'll be perfectly fine with it, minus the fact its FORD! dont go any bigger then 7.5 ft w wings or a 8.5 w/o

3. nekos

nekos Senior Member

This post is way off but like all Chevy / GMC owners, they are delusional. :mechanic:. :drinkup:

You actually want the open dif on a plow truck. It handles much better in rain, snow and slippery conditions. When / if you get stuck, flip on the lockers and pull yourself right out. IMHO open dif + electric or air lockers is the ultimate set up for a plow truck. I have an 09 and am seriously considering installing $2000+ aftermarket E lockers.

Also i run an 8" Pro Plus with wings. The truck doesn't drop an inch with a 1000lbs plow out front.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2010
  4. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

you will be fine and a 9' plow will work also

5. EdNewman

EdNewman Senior Member

Ok, enough of the Ford bashing. GM, Dodge, Ford, I've owned them all and they all suck. Ford is just what we use (for now).

Spoke to the dealer that has the one w/o. He said they ordered it that way because the dealer guide says the option is for off-road use only. I read up on it and it says it will disengage over 30mph or when the vehicle makes a tight turn. Sounds like to me it till be turning itself off constantly when turning to plow and when transiting in between.

I do like the concept of being able to "lock up" and this does do a 100% lock when engaged if it gets stuck. Trying to work a deal on a trade with a dealer that has one with the ELD and only a few other options.

6. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

totally aggee - they all suck the same

7. Pinky Demon

Pinky Demon PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

Yeah....no.

OP, not having a LS is no big deal. I definitely prefer having my True-Trac in her ass when plowing, but you do have to know what you are doing as it can whip your rear end out under throttle.

Remember, when you have it in 4wd, you have the weight of the plow pushing down on a drive axle that is pulling you. Ass weight is important, but not if you are one of those who constantly plows in 4.

With the spreader, plus maybe a bit of ballast, you will be fine without.

EDIT: You can always add a locker or limited slip diff at a later point in time if you really want and feel you need it. What type of blade are you thinking of running?

8. Mdirrigation

Mdirrigation Senior Member

if it sits to pee or its got tires , it will give you problems , but only one of them can actually be repaired

9. EdNewman

EdNewman Senior Member

LOL, thankfully all my toys have tires (except the boat).

Going to put an 8' Boss Super Duty on it.

Correction: the ELD uses electromagents to 100% lock the axle in the diff, it is not one of those crappy systems that use the brakes.

10. landcare pa

landcare pa Member

They all may suck ! But a Ford will always be our company truck....................... And Fords are not government owned. So when your driving your Dodge or Gm product look in you rear view mirror and check out Obama care.lol

11. Pinky Demon

from Ohio

:laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing:

QUOTE OF TEH DAY!

12. Pinky Demon

from Ohio

Ever consider an 8' 2" V?

13. Brant'sLawnCare

Brant'sLawnCare PlowSite.com Addict

Thanks to Ford's solid front axle, you can put a really big plow on the front. A wideout if you'd like.

14. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

Gotta love the uneducated....

15. EdNewman

EdNewman Senior Member

I'm going to stick to the 8', we get a lot of wet snow around here so it can be a tough push. I have bigger ones on my bigger trucks. Not a big fan of V's, more stuff to break.

16. Brant'sLawnCare

Brant'sLawnCare PlowSite.com Addict

V's have always been great to me in heavy, wet snow!

17. winged1dur

winged1dur Senior Member

Have you ever used a V?

18. EdNewman

EdNewman Senior Member

Only experience is from friends whose always seemed to be breaking down.

19. rdbpower

rdbpower Junior Member

If it has tits or a motor its going to give you troubles.

20. Pinky Demon

from Ohio

I would really take a good look at a Boss V plow. They are really not that complicated at all, in fact, probably the simplest out there.