1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2011 f550 v10 any good

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by exclusive, Nov 6, 2011.

1. exclusive

exclusive Member

hey guys i was hoping for a little insight on the V10 6.8 are they good motors any problems are they good at towing and plowing i have always been a chevy guy and im looking at a f550 dump

2. 07F-250V10

07F-250V10 Senior Member

The v10 is a very good motor but sucks gas like nuts. Ive towed 10,000 lbs with mine it did it with no problem. I havent plowed with it yet so i dont know how it does pushing wet snow

3. Flipper

Flipper PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

As with the V8 I have heard them have some problem breaking exhaust studs and blowing spark plugs. If you listen to some driving by you can hear the exaust manifolds leaking. Not all though all though mostly higher mileage. Don't plan on ever seeing over 8mpg especially in a 550.. Diesel would be my choice but the V-10 is a good motor. Its no longer an option in the pickups only the C&C

4. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

Like Flipper said, our 06 is a 5.4L gasser with 56k on it and its going to need exhaust manifold repair again. It's already had both sides replaced once and after towing our skid steer to NYC last year it developed another leak. IDK id the V10's are any better but those are an expensive repair some times. As far as power, I always heard they have enough to get the job done and I know a couple guys who have run them for years and only minor repairs and are still running them with 200k on it.

5. maelawncare

maelawncare Senior Member

The v10 is a great motor. One of the best i've owned.

They are right about the exhaust bolts, after a few years they will rust out. As far as the spark plugs thats only for retards who dont know that you have to torq them down to ford specs. But that was only on the early models. I believe they fixed that problem in 07 or 08, but I may be wrong.

My current v10 is in a 99 f250. I avg 9.5mpg towing and 14mpg on the highway. But only 5.5mpg plowing :(.

I wouldnt hesitate buying another v10. In fact I wont go the next 10-15 years without one. Plan on buying a 2010 f250 v10 in the next few years. But in a F550, idk about a v10. It might struggle on the heavy loads a F550 can pull. Your best bet for that truck still might be a diesel.

6. gtmustang00

gtmustang00 Senior Member
    from Berlin

I had a 04 v10 350 dump. Great truck. In the 70k miles that i drove it for it went through 1 coil pack and exhaust manifold gaskets. Loads of power. Always hooked to a trailer or bed was full of material.

7. wizardsr

wizardsr PlowSite.com Addict

A 2011 F550 with a V10 will have no problems with power or the issues of plug popping that everyone likes to rant about. The 99-02 5.4 and 6.8 are the only ones that had the plug issues due to too few threads in the head. More threads were added in 02, and in 05 the plug design was changed, so now they stay in there a little too good, LOL. Not a huge deal, but they'll break and you need a special tool to extract them. On our 05, 8 of them came out with no issues, 2 of them broke and had to be extracted. It just takes a little extra time as you have to cement a pin in the broken plug, then pull it out. The cement and pins are included in the kit, I'd much rather have that issue than a plug popping out unexpectedly.

As for power, a V10 F550 will have at least 4.88 gears which keeps the V10 in the right power band to move the truck well, even heavily loaded. Fuel economy wise, our V10 F550 averages 8 mpg, the 1 ton dually V10 averages 10, the crew cab pickup averages 12.5. These are mixed driving, mostly in-town and some freeway.

They do like their fuel, and if towing heavy every day, I'd consider a diesel, but for plowing, use as a dump or salt truck, a V10 will be just fine.

8. dfd9

dfd9 PlowSite.com Addict

Good to see someone with some accurate info on the plug issue. :drinkup:

9. maelawncare

Thanks, i knew that issue had been fixed. Just did not know which year.

I didnt think about gearing. Guess with the right gearing in the rear it will do just fine. Anyone know if they bumped the HP/Torque for 2012?

10. wizardsr

Not on the V10, same 3-valve that's been in them since 05. I'm 90% certain they still have the 5 speed as well versus the new 6.

11. Triple L

Triple L PlowSite Fanatic
    from Canada

Why wouldnt you get the 6.2V8 when they make almost the same power and you can get the 6 speed trans?

12. wizardsr

They don't offer the 6.2 in the F450 or F550. You can get the 6 speed with the new diesel though, but the V10 and 5 speed are the only gasser options.

13. Marek

Marek Senior Member

I have an 08 450 qith the v 10 with 4:88 rear and love the truck . At the time the 6.4 was new and I am really glade to have bought the v-10 over the 6.4.For less than the cost of the diesel option I could replace the whole motor. 8 mpg is right on par with what we see with ours. Its in the shop right now having the studs replaced. From what I was told the new studs are made from a different material then the old studs and will not rust , but time will tell. How many miles would you put on the new unit per year ? Right now Ford has a ton of cash back on thier trucks.

14. EdNewman

EdNewman Senior Member

I have a pair of 2011 f450 crew cabs with the v10. Good power, good towing, sucks gas. I've always had all diesels but I could not get the math to work this time so I went gas. Even at 7 to 8 mpg it is still cheaper over 150k miles. As far as plowing, they have no problem pushing a 9' boss with wings. That's over 11' wide!

15. Marek

Marek Senior Member

Which rear did you go with on your trucks ? Are they 4x4 ?

16. EdNewman

EdNewman Senior Member

Yes 4x4. I believe 4.88. There was no choice in ratio.

17. exclusive

exclusive Member

thanks guys for all the insight but i just brought a gmc 3500hd with a diesel for the same price as the f 550 gas and 0% fianancing thanks again guys

18. maelawncare

Why did you decide to go with a smaller truck? the 3500 isnt even in the same league as the f550.

19. Triple L

Triple L PlowSite Fanatic
    from Canada

Could you explain a bit of your math?

20. exclusive

exclusive Member

because the heaviest thing i pull is a skid steer so i really didnt think the bigger truck was needed