1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2011 f250Lariat w/out plow pkg

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by kitzy, Dec 7, 2010.

1. kitzy

kitzy Junior Member
    from PA

I'm a newbie on plowing and am only getting into it to gain a couple of additional nice landscaping contracts where I must offer plowing. I need an additional truck anyway so decided might as well push a little snow with it..and I do mean a little. .
    I'm talking maybe a half dozen at most, small commercial lots and a few large home circular driveways. I have no desire to get into allot of plowing.
    Dealer has a 2100 250 Lariat 9600gvwr gas shortbed. The thing has all the toys on it and stickers at 48k.....but heres the dumbest thing....they ordered it without the $85 plow pkg!!! Now thats pretty stupid isn't it? The deal is good at 40k and I would buy it in a heartbeat but should this plow pkg issue be a showstopper??
    You guys are enormously helpful to we plownewbies and I appreciate your opinion.
    (and no I really dont want to change the springs on a brand new truck)...thanks much

ps and isnt there some warranty issue if something breaks when plowing with a truck without the plow pkg??
  2. You don't need the plow package its just a bonus. When u lift the plow the lights will dim n that's mainly it.
  3. kitzy

kitzy Junior Member
    from PA

Snowman thanks so much for the reply asI'm going out the door right now to talk with the dealer and had not yet heard any opinions from any of you snowpros...I'll ask them about the warranty issue if I break something or wear out something due to the little bit pf plowing I will do....thanks again...
  4. dont forget to ask about the $1000 back if you put a plow on the truck and use it to make money. there was a thread about it a few weeks ago
  5. ZamboniHDB

ZamboniHDB Senior Member

There is fine print on that particular rebate and in this case the truck has to have the plow prep package in order to qualify.

just my .02¢
  6. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

I wouldn't spend the money on a new truck, and not get the prep package if your going to push snow. The prep package offers a larger Alt., a tranny cooler, and depending on make, and model heavier front axle, larger radiator, and I am sure other things. But for the 600 to 800 more, I would think it has to be worth it.
  7. kitzy

kitzy Junior Member
    from PA

Actually the truck I ended up with did have the plow pkg. Its only an $85 option and its one step up on the front springs and a heavy duty alternator. I don think it has anything different on the transmisson given the low cost of $85 for the plow pkg option.
    But what was strange was, the truck with the stronger front coil springs rode softer and quieter than the one without the plow pkg....I thought the opposite would be true but I'm not the brightest bulb in the ceiling when it comes to truck construction. It had Continental tires the other one didnt so maybe thats why it rode so much better and quieter but I dont know anything about Continental except they are a German company
  8. IA Farmer

IA Farmer Senior Member

Congrats on the new truck. So what options does this one have? Post some pictures of it. What plow are you going to put on it?