1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2011 F250 Dual Battery location

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by Deni2nd, Nov 3, 2011.

1. Deni2nd

Deni2nd Junior Member

I have a 2011 Super Duty F250 with a 6.2 gas engine. I would like to install a second battery (hopefully under the hood). Has anyone ever done this or seen it done and where was it located?

2. Stuffdeer

Stuffdeer Senior Member

I have one too, and was looking at doing this. It looks like there is a big open spot on the left side front when looking into the hood, right behind the headlight.

3. rjfetz1

rjfetz1 Senior Member
    from CT.

Just the thread I was looking for. I have been wanting to add a second battery for a long time. Each time I get close someone shoots me down. In the last month I have purchased a battery box and fabricated a bracket to mount it on the side of the frame rail on the passengers side. I was going to ground the battery to the motor and connect + to + using 1 gauge cable. Here's the concern.....someone the other day said our starters are not designed for 2 batteries and will spin too fast and therefore be short lived.
    So I considered putting in an isolator, which on paper looks like that's the way to go,....however someone else said they lower voltage and are at high risk for failure therefore draining both batteries in the process. So, needless to say I do not want to take chances at this time of year, so I will continue solo until I can find out the truth behind either of these statements.

4. 4700dan

4700dan Senior Member
    from Ohio

We have a 2009 F-250 and we run dual batteries but we run the second one in the bed powered off of the dump insert pump Thumbs Up No problems here and that was 2 years ago no starter, alternator or battery issues

5. rjfetz1

rjfetz1 Senior Member
    from CT.

Confused as to how you have this hooked up? Do you have both batteries tied together?

6. 4700dan

4700dan Senior Member
    from Ohio

Yes they have to be inorder to keep them both charged

7. TJS

TJS PlowSite.com Addict

8. 2011F250Lariat

2011F250Lariat Sponsor

After having dimming light and other battery related issues last year after installing a brand new plow and salt spreader, I designed and manufactured my own battery box that fits in the empty space on the front right hand side (passanger side) of the engine compartment, behind the headlight. So far so good, great improvement, and all my friends say that my second battery setup looks nice and professional. I put a lot of time and effort into designing this kit to be perfect, took me a long time to get this done, but its done now, not much snow this year in Chicago, but I have been able to take advantage of it already this year, and I will be offering the first ones for sale shortly. Here is my thread from my issues that I had:

http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?p=1374750#post1374750

9. 2011F250Lariat

2011F250Lariat Sponsor

Here is a picture of my setup. Right under the hood, right next to the factory battery. Short cable runs.

IMG_1982.jpg

10. richsoucie

richsoucie Member

on my 06 i just bought the driver side battery tray for a diesel and mounted it there unfortunattly i dont have any pics as i traded it in for a diesel

11. Plowtoy

Plowtoy Senior Member

No, that's not true. When you add the second battery (as long as you put positive to positive or parallel) you are only increasing the available amperage, the voltage would only be 12.6 volts. If you were to wire them positive to negative (or in series), you would then increase the voltage to 25.2 and that would not only take out your starter, but most likely all the wiring in your truck that isn't protected by fusible links.

12. Willybak

Willybak Junior Member

Willy Note:
    I recently purchased a 2012 F250 Super Duty and I am looking at putting in a 2nd battery.
    I am interested to know more about your battery mount kit and whether you have them for sale now?

Thanks,

2012 F250 SD 1.jpg

Space by Battery.jpg

13. 2011F250Lariat

2011F250Lariat Sponsor

This thread is about a 2011-2012 model year, your 06 is completely different, that cannot be done the same way on a 2011 or 2012. That was the whole reason behind my kit in the first place.

14. 2011F250Lariat

2011F250Lariat Sponsor

You will have to pm me for info, i was going to pm you but i do not see that option for you, you must not have enabled it or you cant becuase you dont have enough posts, if you do a google search you should find it no problem, i have them on chicago craigslist as well as ebay if you search for it on ebay. You can always contact me through those.

15. spectrumtelecom

spectrumtelecom Junior Member

I am in need of the secondary battery bracket that you make, just the bracket would be fantastic! Where can I get one from? I can't find any listings on Ebay or Craigslist Chicago.

16. Buck331

Buck331 Member

17. TJS

TJS PlowSite.com Addict

18. Cond Enterprise

Cond Enterprise Member

TJS you have a better option that costs less??? I miss my dual batteries:redbounce

19. TJS

TJS PlowSite.com Addict

I did a post on dual battery set up for my gas 2002 superduty. A diesel battery tray was used and modified. I posted it a while back.

20. Buck331

Buck331 Member

A Question for "2011F250Lariat"

Dear 2011F250Lariat:

You are in my opinion making no attempt to promote your product to fellow members on PlowSite by offering a discount, and I'm wondering why not?

Here's your product on eBay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/2011-2012-2...Parts_Accessories&hash=item19e7332a41&vxp=mtr

On 12/10/2011 you stated - "I tried to get ford to upgrade my battery to a little higher CCA for free, but they would not do it because a higher CCA battery isn't supposed to go in my truck, they would not even let me do it if I paid for it! bunch of BS, it can't hurt anything, so I had them make a note of this when on the phone with corporate and at the dealer, this is something I was willing to try yet keeping the truck with a stock/ford approved battery". - (See post #24 on thread - http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=111580&page=2).

I agree..., Ford gave you a bunch of BS! In your own words, Ford said NO to your attempts to DEMAND and/or PAY for a functional working upgrade to facilitate your truck to operate a snowplow!

My Question Regarding Your Product:

Do you guarantee that the purchase and subsequent installation of your dual battery (patent pending) upfit kit will NOT jeopardize, compromise, and/or potentially void the purchasers Ford Motor Company Factory Warranty in any way?

Please understand that ask this question with all due respect, and simply ask that you reply with an answer regarding any dual battery upgrade.

I really wish that someone on PlowSite would initiate a thread, or threads in the form of a petition demanding that GM, Dodge, and Ford immediately offer a REAL Snow Plow Prep Package with the gas engine option as follows:

- Dual 85 CCA batteries.
    - 200 AMP alternator.
    - The Big 3 Upgrade.

40K-65K for new trucks that are considered "workhorses" to facilitate operation of our aftermarket upfit 4K-7K snow plows, and NOT ONE of the truck manufacturers are offering a factory dual battery setup with their Snow Plow Prep Package in the gas engine option? What a Joke!