1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2011 F150 Ecoboost

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by 08f150, Dec 17, 2010.

1. 08f150

08f150 Member

Just test drove the 2011 F150 with the Ecoboost engine. Its nnnnnnice! I'm not a V6 guy but I noticed very little difference between it and my 5.4L V8. Of course they won't commit to a mileage prediction but they say it'll be higher than it is now. It's definitely a nice truck. Something to watch.
  2. Too Stroked

Too Stroked Senior Member

I drove one a couple of weeks ago and was totally blown away with the power. I beat the hell out of it for my 15 minute test drive and still got 15.6 MPG. This engine is going to change a few minds in the next few years. If you hadn't told me what was under the hood, I would have guessed the new 6.2
  3. 08f150

08f150 Member

The guy said any comments? I said yea I'll buy one tomorrow! And I think on an XLT it was only $1750 option....they might be onto something!
  4. truckboy

truckboy Junior Member
    from texas

From what I read on ecoboosttalk.com/showthread.php?t=31 the 3.5L Ecoboost twin turbo engine is said to deliver a 25% increase in fuel economy in comparission to the v8 engine it replaces. The current 5.4L 3 valve (There is also a 5.4L 2 valve and 4.6L 2v both V8s) get a epa estimated 18 mpg. So a 25% increase would net 22.5 mpg.
  5. Too Stroked

Actually, there hasn't been a 2 valve 5.4 liter engine since about 2003. There were two different 4.6 liter engines (2 valve and 3 valve) offered through 2010 though. Be that as it may, I agree that you'll see a mid-20's EPA Highway rating on the EcoBoost.
  6. woodchuck2

woodchuck2 Senior Member

All i can say is it is about time these auto manufacturers started getting back into turbo's and superchargers. This is old proven technology that gives great HP out of a much smaller engine and with good milage to boot.
  7. Joe D

Joe D Senior Member

I think it's going to be a great setup. Plenty of power when you need it and great milage. This will kill the need for a light duty diesel truck. With all the added emission crap it won't get better milage than the ecoboost will but it will cost 6-7 grand more.
  8. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

I don't know about adding levels of complexity to these engines. I would be afraid down the road it's going to be costly in repairs and burned up turbo's.
    Maybe another Ford got ya $500 controller etc will raise it's ugly head. After the 6.0 PSD and the problems it's had.I wonder if Ford even cares to put out Built Ford Tough anymore?
  9. JK-Plow

JK-Plow Senior Member

F150 Eco-Boost engine now arriving at dealers. Local dealer has one already. List of $750 on sticker for Lariat supercrew 4x4.
  10. Too Stroked

While I agree that the early 6.0 liter Powerstrokes were an absolute disaster, I think Ford (and a few other folks) learned some very important lessons there. According to Ford's own internal numbers, their quality was at it's lowest level in 2005 - and has gone up ever since. Don't let past sins totally blind you.

And as for complexity, I don't think you're ever going to see a "simple" engine again for a whole bunch of reasons. Just look at the legal requirements for mileage and emissions and you'll see two very important reasons why complexity is going up. There's just no way to meet the government requirements without complex systems.
  11. johndeerefarmer

johndeerefarmer Junior Member
    from Texas

They haven't even started production yet. Supposed to start Job 2 about January 7. If your dealer has one post a link or the VIN number or window sticker