1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2011 f-250 cc 6.7 powerstroke- Only a 7'6" plow ??????

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by nickjr000, Mar 27, 2011.

1. nickjr000

nickjr000 Junior Member
    from nj

All excited to put a plow on the new truck i just bought and i go on fisher and boss site and both r telling me the same thing, Its only rated for a 7'6" plow? Totally bummed now. Wanted to put a 8'6' power v on it. Actually im sickened. All this cause it has the 5600 front axle n not the 6000. Never even considered this when i bought the truck. Just figured its a diesel f250, ford tough and it can handle pretty much any plow. I guess not so. Any chance ford just underrates their trucks and im safe with the bigger plow? Im putting the timberens on anyway but that doesnt help the axle weight

2. nickjr000

nickjr000 Junior Member
    from nj

Anyone? Input?

3. wizardsr

wizardsr PlowSite.com Addict

The front axle is rated for 6k, regardless of what springs are on it. The springs are $40 each at the ford dealer and can be swapped within an hour. Just upgrade the springs and put whatever you want on it. Guys commonly run 1000lb plows on Ford's with no issues. Thumbs Up

4. nickjr000

nickjr000 Junior Member
    from nj

So your saying the axels are all the same?. I have 5600 now and i can change the springs to get me too 6000? I dont want to get my hopes up. I thought the whole axle was different for 6000 and the springs?

5. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

All the axles are the same!!! Yes the only difference is the front coil spring. We just went through this when we bought a 05 SD Powerstroke and the front was only rated at 4800lbs. The dealer checked part number's from our 06 which has the plow prep. and everything from the axles to the front hubs to the brakes were all the same. I'm ordering 6600lb front coils for it come fall, I kind of enjoy the ride now,lol. Springs are around 85 bucks a piece at a dealer and they pay about 1.5hrs to install. Good luck finding a plow dealer to install it tho. Even after explaining this to or local Fisher dealer he still said I can't do it. I'm planning on hanging a 8.6 Extreme SS V blade and adding wings for next season. You'll be fine, our 06 F250 5.4L only had 5200lb springs and we have a 8.6 Extreme V on it, I've since swapped out for 6000lb springs but no problems before.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2011
  6. exmark1

exmark1 PlowSite.com Addict

I wouldn't worry about the truck handling it, but you may have a warranty issue since you didn't get the plow prep with the heavy springs

7. nickjr000

nickjr000 Junior Member
    from nj

ive been searching threads on here cause there is a ton of knowledge about this stuff on here.. Some people r saying that switching the springs doesnt increase the front rating? How sure r u guys that all the axles r the same? N u only have to switch springs? Just really dont wanna get my hopes up that its a simple spring swap then find out different. Also, Thanks for the help so far Thumbs Up

8. nickjr000

nickjr000 Junior Member
    from nj

The dealer is actually going to put a snow plow prep on the truck since it was suppose to have it on it already. I overlooked it not having it cause i was too pissed about it not having nav in it when the salesmen said it did and i drove 45 mins to go buy it. So as i was bargaining with them to get the factory nav and install it for me as part of the deal, i totally overlooked that it also didnt have the snow plow prep package too. I was po'd when i found out. Also it has the 3:31 gears? How r these gears for plowing? Kinda jumped in to the truck cause they did give me a great deal, n they r far n few between right now for some reason

9. Brian Young

We just took delivery of this 05 on Friday and before we signed the paper's I had 2 different dealerships check the part number's to make sure the axles weren't different or smaller. Again, the axles, hubs, u-joints, brakes, rotors etc. were all the same part numbers as our 06 which had the plow prep package. They changed axles etc. when you get to an F450 and up. You know the only difference between a F250 and a F350 is 1 rear leaf spring and the rear blocks for the springs.

10. Brian Young

I think those are the only gears you can get with a diesel, I could be wrong. You'll be fine with those gears....its a turbo diesel, it will move a lot of snow. We specced out a new F350 reg. cab SRW with XLT package, Sync and factory spray in bed liner and no one in the country had one. They said it would take at least 6-8 weeks to get it and a nice price tag of 39K after all the rebates! Thanks but no thanks.

11. Brian Young

BTW, "plow prep" is heavier duty front springs and a 140 amp alternator, thats it.

12. erkoehler

erkoehler PlowSite Veteran

An 8'2" or 9'2" boss v plow would be great on that truck!

13. nickjr000

nickjr000 Junior Member
    from nj

Is the prep kit also a clutch fan that turns on earlier? Or not on the 2011 powerstroke? I know its def the alternator and the springs 1 code higher or however that works.

Boss plows r sweet, but no good dealers around here! Have to go with the fisher , guy 5 mins away has been in this bis for a long time and has great customer service

14. wizardsr

The F250/F350 4x4 front axles are all the same, regardless of what's printed on the door sticker. As mentioned, plow prep increases the spring capacity and alternator, that's all. Swap springs, you're good to go.

15. nickjr000

nickjr000 Junior Member
    from nj

Thanks for all the help guys. Seems like it will b an easy fix! If it weren't..... U might of seen this new truck on the news going through the front window of the dealership tomorrow . HAHAHA LOL

16. nickjr000

nickjr000 Junior Member
    from nj

Guess i might as well put the timberens on also ?

17. wizardsr

Airbags before timbrens. I don't care for the way fords ride with timbrens. Plus, if you're upgrading the coils, you shouldn't need them anyway.

18. Too Stroked

Too Stroked Senior Member

If memory serves me correctly, at one point, all the Plow Prep Package actually included was the different Fan Clutch.

19. Stuffdeer

Stuffdeer Senior Member

I have a 2011 F250 with the plow prep. Granted I only have the 6.2L, but it holds my 9.2' Vxt Boss just fine. Less than a 3/4" drop when raised in scoop position.

[​IMG]

20. MrPLow2011

MrPLow2011 Senior Member
    from Boston

If I were you I wouldnt listen to anyone on this board. Talk to your dealer and see what they say. I just tried to build a diesel and no plow prep package is offered. So I think you are in same boat as the the 2nd gen Dodge ownrers. They said yes at first and then saw all the problems and said no more plows. That went on for 3 years. It changed monthly if you could put a plow on a diesel, No one on this board is going to pay for your repairs after ford says no. So dont listen to a guy that buys a 6.0 and hangs a 9ft of the front of it becuase he thinks uping the springs is good enough. Becuase when he breaks and axle he has to pay for it no matter what. Ford could care less they are not warrantying it Talk to dealer and before you buy your next truck do your homework