1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2011 electronic 4WD switch

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by ratherbfishin, Jan 22, 2014.

1. ratherbfishin

ratherbfishin Senior Member

I noticed (actually my boy noticed...I must admit) last plow event that the 4 WD
    switch was getting a little warm to the touch when in 4WD. Is this normal? I have always been, and will always be a manual shift guy, but this truck, ordered SLE package came only with the electronic switch.

2. Fantastic

Fantastic Senior Member

Does the switch light up when you push the button? If so it's just the heat from the light bulb.

3. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

My 07 does the same since day 1...if yours is the dial with the blinking lights that go solid in the selected mode.
    Mine has actually started sticking in 4wd or 2wd as of late. If I shut the truck off and restart it resets and I can pick the next selection again. I need to look into it one day.

4. ratherbfishin

ratherbfishin Senior Member

Yes sir...same unit. Consensus has it as normal though I do not believe it is the heat from the light!

5. Fantastic

Fantastic Senior Member

I'd have to agree as well now!

6. cubicinches

cubicinches PlowSite.com Addict

It IS the heat from the bulb... Feel it next time you're plowing during the day. If your truck has auto headlamps, make sure they're off or manually turn them off. I think you'll find that with the dash lights out, the switch is not hot.

7. Mr. Mud

Mr. Mud Member

I have a 2013-3500 hd with 950 miles on it that is doing this same thing. It happens so sporadically that I can't take it back to the dealer and get it to duplicate the issue. Have you figured out what is causing it yet?

8. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

No... but if you find out before me let me know.:D I'm assuming it's an overheating relay. It hasn't let me down yet it's just annoying.

9. Mr. Mud

Mr. Mud Member

Well, mine is under warranty as it is only 6 weeks old so I'm taking it back to the dealer whenever it quits snowing. I was trying to figure out if I caused it somehow when I installed the new plow. I hope it isn't from the fuse box tap.