1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2011 chevy HDs

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by OhioPlower, Mar 27, 2011.

1. OhioPlower

OhioPlower Senior Member

Does anyone have any pics of the new HDs with plows on them? Im curious to how well they handle plows compared to the 2010s and older. Ive searched and havent found anything. I may be replacing my 04 this summer. Also how well is the LML doing? I just got back from a deployment, ive been away from this site for awhile ussmileyflag

2. OhioPlower

OhioPlower Senior Member

Should I get a 6.7 Ford instead? seems to be alot of them out there

3. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

I've drove both. I've wanted one more than the other at any given time too. But what I keep thinking is bottom line, my 05 Duramax is the first truck ive owned that I have never had any issues with. Change oil, fuel filters, tires, etc and all good. I just did the tie-rod ends a few weeks ago and thats the only repairs ive had in 3.5 years and its carried a plow since i've had it. But the Fords are very nice. Ive seen a few '11 Duramax' with plows, they dont have the front end sag like they use to.

4. OhioPlower

OhioPlower Senior Member

I drove both in august and I change my mind everyday too. My 04 Dmax has been very reliable but has had a decent amount of stupid little things go wrong

5. Newdude

Newdude Senior Member

We have one at the dealer I work at. Holds the plow really nice. I've pulled it in at night before some storms and for a second I thought I was in a Ford haha. As far as the LML goes, its a great motor. The issue, and a soon to be fixed better issue is the DEF tank. There has been a number of trucks that will display a message saying the tank is empty, but it is not. Typically, they then go into a dealer, have the tank drained, and the computer re-programed, then some never have an issue again, some come back. Apparenty, there is word GM is waiting on EPA approval for a fix for the system.

If you want to look at Ford 6.7 vs. Duramax, there is that potential fear for some that don't like buying first year products. The Ford 6.7 is just under a year old, where as the Duramax has 10 years under its belt, and the Allison has even more.

6. topdj

topdj Senior Member

I dont even know the plow is their

7. OhioPlower

OhioPlower Senior Member

do you have pics? another question I have is when is GM coming out with a new body style?

8. josh77

josh77 Junior Member
    from toronto

I ran 2 - 2011 2500 HD Duramax's from Gm this season. One was a Chevy and the other GMC. Each had a new Fisher XLS and preformed like champs when the snow hit, no sagging in the front ends and pushed mountains of snow with zero trouble, never even felt like the trucks got tested here around Norh Toronto.
    However with that said....the DEF System needed resetting about 3 times on each truck over the winter because of a issue with freezing and the sensors, apparently it won't be an issue over the summer; we'll see though!...never could get much info on what was happening but the fluid kept reading emtpy even after we filled it. Its a simple fix at the dealership but could take the day just because they have to bring the truck inside and let it warm up, so it can be a hassle. i brought them in one morning after being out all night and because they were already warm up it only took about 15mins to reset. Keeping the tank about 1/3 full all the time seemed to help the problem. Gm keeps promising a fix for this sometime in the spring I'm told. tymusic

9. OhioPlower

OhioPlower Senior Member

Thats good to hear. Im starting to see more 2011s on the road and they're growing on me

10. Raconteur

Raconteur Senior Member
    from MA

Search for 2011 pics .

11. lakeeffect

lakeeffect Senior Member

Just traded my 08 for a 2011 2500HD with Fisher V-Xtreme and it handles it great. Better ride and suspension than the 08.

12. az landscaping

az landscaping Member
    from mass

Just traded my 2004 dump for a 2011 what a difference with a 8' boss plow, my 2010 is better than my 2007. I have all chevy's.

13. OhioPlower

OhioPlower Senior Member

I still dont like the whole DEF system on the fords and chevys

14. R.J.B.

R.J.B. Member

I am torn also! The duramax is proven especially with the allison or should i go with the ford in the first year or wait a year for that truck?? decisions?

15. OhioPlower

OhioPlower Senior Member

Im gonna wait a couple years to buy one of these new diesels

16. chevyzrule810

chevyzrule810 PlowSite.com Addict

This may help you

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. Iowan

Iowan Junior Member

I have a 2011 2500HD Crew with a 2011 Boss poly VXT on it I'm looking to sell. It's a 6.0 gas not the Duramax. It's a great truck it's just way more than I need to plow the one small parking lot of the apartment building I run. When I lift the blade the front end only drops about an inch. Only used the plow about 6 times last winter and the truck has under 6000 miles. They are great trucks.

18. exmark1

exmark1 PlowSite.com Addict

I drove the Ford & Chevy before buying a new one. I liked the Chevy but couldn't find what I wanted so I went with the ford. I think they are built alot heavier then the older ones and should hold a plow well.

When your ready to sell your 04 shoot me a message.

Thanks for your service :salute:

19. OhioPlower

OhioPlower Senior Member

Thanks exmark1, You almost got a all Ford fleet now lol. Good deal on that 04 350 you got too. Ill probably run my 04 for a couple more years while they get the DEF bugs worked out of these new motors and see how they are. With 120k miles and about 6000 hours on my dmax/ally they havent missed a beat, but ill keep ya in mind!

20. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

I get my new 2011 Chevy 2500hd on Wednesday and that will have a 9'2 VXT so hang around for pics. May be a few weeks before the plow goes on the truck but too much to do all at once!