1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2011 Chevy 2500HD

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by sabres07, Feb 13, 2011.

1. sabres07

sabres07 Senior Member
    from buffalo

I am considering purchasing a new 2500HD 4WD. Does the skid plate that is included with the snow plow package have to come off to install a Boss mount? Also, what kind of gas mileage can I expect?

I was also considering a Quad cab over the standard cab. Any issues with the quad cabs as far as visiblity for plowing?
  2. brianbrich1

brianbrich1 PlowSite.com Addict

I can tell you I seem to be getting around 10 mpg...not sure about the mount and I have the extended cab and think it will not be a issue with site...also my other trucks are standard cab and refuse to buy anymore for the lack of room...the extended cab is worth it to me
  3. 09Busa

09Busa Senior Member
    from NY

As for mileage, I don't think I'm over 12mpg, which is comparable to my 03 2500HD.

Yes....when they installed my new Boss mount, one plate had to be removed and one had to be modified. I have the extended cab and I couldn't imagine only having a regular cab. The food I bring with me during a storm, not to mention logs, assorted accessories, etc would never cut it in a RC
  4. topdj

topdj Senior Member

I just put my Hiniker 2011 frame on.
    pretty easy but I could have used some hands, I had to cut a few inches off the front plastic guard too
  5. ctsvnino

ctsvnino Junior Member
    from jersey

gas mileage is 11. i have a 2008 sierra 2500hd extended cab. and yes one skid plate has to come off but you can modify it fit or work

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

You are willing to spend $45K on a truck and plow and are worried about gas mileage? Expect bad 11mpg, and worse when plowing Thumbs Up
  7. Sealer People

Sealer People Senior Member

Im just wondering what the mileage would be on a diesel instead of the gas motor.

Here in Ontario, were just getting used to the cost of diesel being more expenzive than gas.
    Ive heard that in the US it been higher in cost for a while.

I currently have a 96, 2500, diesel, & I dont see a difference at all in fuel mileage, Im starting to wonder
    if the newer model trucks in a diesel would get me more mileage ???
    Just spoke with a guy whos selling a 2007 chevy 2500, diesel, 4x4, he tells me hes getting 15mpg city & 17mpg on hwy.

Is it even worth spending the extra money ?
  8. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

You have an old school 6.2 or 6.5 diesel.From 2001 to present,the 6.6 Duramax has completely changed the landscape in GM's arsenal of engines.You really can't compare fairly the old with the new in terms of mileage.The beauty of a modern electronic fuel injectored diesel like the Dmax is that when it is really working hard such as trailering or plowing,the fuel savings will blow away a gasser in the same application.So,is it worth the extra money? To me,absolutely.There's more to factor in though besides just mileage.You have the maintenance ,longevity,and the need for awesome power to consider also.
  9. Raconteur

Raconteur Senior Member
    from MA

Gas Mileage . I see around 10/11 mpg . Seven when plowing. I have the 3.73 gear .
  10. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

I get 7 to 8 mpg in my 04 with xls and 1.5 ton of salt in her while plowing.
  11. jklawn&Plow

jklawn&Plow Senior Member

I trimmed the plastic a small amount on each side and fit it back in.
  12. topdj

topdj Senior Member

I just topped off my 36 gallon tank, the computer says I can now drive 328 miles LOL

FSUPERDUTY Senior Member

Not to hijack this thread but That truck is awesome! How about some more pictures of it?
  14. brianbrich1

brianbrich1 PlowSite.com Addict

Hey topdj I was looking at tyhe pic of your truck and I was wondering how you got that truck to sit flat(nose up a little) Then I see in your listing 1.5" level sno prep. Is that what did it and what is that?
  15. sweetk30

sweetk30 PlowSite.com Addict

friend just got 2011 3500 crew 4x4 dmax allison.

he does 90% highway with it so far. he is pissed as its basicly 9.8-10.1 mpg .

his old 05-06 same truck was a LOT better at fuel use.

he just barrowed his buddys dodge with cummins same basic truck option wise and he is pullin 17mpg with it driving it the same way.

and the gm has broken the cold weather grill bra already / bumper warning sensors dont work 1/2 the time / engine brake sucks when it want to work / bowtie emblem at 600 miles is leaking water between it and looks like sh!t.

he is 10x happyer with the dodge he is barrowing to make a decision to keep or get new dodge.

and new dodge has a LOT more room in there new crew cab.

oh ya and no urea system. Thumbs Up
  16. topdj

topdj Senior Member

its not really nose up the driveway has a crown and it just appears like that, the front is a 1 or so lower then the rear, it was more like 2.5+ inches before
  17. canadiantowman

canadiantowman Member

I just went to fill up 1 of the new trucks and it cost $100.00 and the dash thing said 296 kms to empty.
  18. Sealer People

Sealer People Senior Member

Canadiantownman,,,,, are you in a diesel or a gasser?

I just saw the price of diesel here tonight,,,, $1.26 per ltre,,, thats nuts.
    Not what we're used to.

Im getting horrible fuel mileage on my truck.
    Granted its an older truck * 1996, 2500, 6.5 turbo, 4x4 *
    $100.00 of diesel is getting about 350 - 375 kms.

Can anything be done to increase the meileage ?

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

A proper running 6.5 will be close if not the same as a Duramax. Have you ever done the injectors in it? You will lose mileage but it will still run fine. I did the conversion and you are around 9 mpg. Are you plowing, towing, what? Remember it's winter fuel so subtract 2mpg and how much idling are you doing? That could be another 1mpg
  20. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

That mileage doesn't seem right at all.Hand calculated or going by the DIC?