1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2011 and up trucks vs 01-10?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by pipelayer, Oct 26, 2015.

1. pipelayer

pipelayer Senior Member
    from CT

looking at some 2011-2013 trucks, both 6.0 and diesel, but im wondering here how the new frame trucks stack up against the older frame trucks, 01-10. i have had 3 lb7 powered duramax trucks and theyve all been great, but didnt handle a plow quite as well as my solid axle ford/dodge trucks which were later model trucks anyway. regardless, how do the new frame trucks handle the plow and tow a trailer. i haul a bit, with my backhoe, probably around 12k and full size trucks and trailer weigh out about the same, just want to know if its a noticeable improvement, so when i do upgrade trucks, i make a good move. truck will be crew cab short bed 2500hd. thanks.

2. BowTieDmax

BowTieDmax Senior Member

everything is better and stronger on the 2011 up trucks with the chassis. Almost no comparison. And you can actually get stronger torsion bars for plowing

3. ggb6259

ggb6259 Senior Member
    from SW MI

In the 3/4 ton trucks go newer. If you go 1/2 ton then the older chassis IMHO have beefier front ends and can hold more weight. Tripping point was 2012 forward.. I've looked at ALL the plow selectors with 1/2 ton and only chevy/Gmc are rated to handle the 1/2ton V's after 2012 which is what I want. My 04 Dodge can take the Meyer VLD but the Snowdogg is just barely out of the weight line at 700lbs. Meyer is 580 or so. The newer Fords 2012 and up are actually pretty pathetic. The Dodge not so great. The Nissan not so great. The Tundra seems to have enough after market to be able to handle a heavier blade but you have to add a lot of front end stuff...

For what it's worth....

4. JustJeff

JustJeff 2000 Club Member

He's asking about 3/4 ton trucks, not half. OP you should have no trouble with the newer super dutys. Just compare GVWR's and towing max's from new to old.

5. mike1316

mike1316 Senior Member

My 2015 2500hd drops a half inch with a boss 9.2 vee plow on it

6. DaBomb6988

DaBomb6988 Member

GM did a major chassis update in 2011. From 2011-2016 the chassis and front ends are basically the same. Night and day difference from 01-10. I had a 02 Silverado 2500 with a 7'6'' western straight blade. I took that plow off all the time because is sagged so bad. My 2011 Sierra with a fisher 8'6'' v-plow sags and inch with the plow up. I wouldn't think twice about running around all winter with the plow on. No sagging no overheating none of the other common complaints with the 01-10 models. These trucks don't even sit on the bump stops empty anymore.

7. JustJeff

JustJeff 2000 Club Member

Still a bad idea to leave a plow on all the time.

8. DaBomb6988

DaBomb6988 Member

If you drive a Ram maybe lol jk

9. GMC Driver

GMC Driver Senior Member

I would concur. I ran an 8611LP on my '08 2500HD LMM and it was alot of blade for that truck. The '15 is no comparison - barely squats with the same blade. We have only 2 left (2010s), but the rest are newer and are a much more stout truck. The latest update (2015) has added alot of creature comforts.

10. leigh

leigh PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

I've run a blizzard 810 on my chevy ecsb duramax for 9 years and 100k miles.Only thing replaced on front end was 2 wheel bearings/hubs.Nice to know that new ones haven't gone the opposite direction.

11. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

especially in the summer months :nod:

12. DaBomb6988

DaBomb6988 Member

NOT SAYING I RECOMMEND IT but, when I bought my truck it was the end of August 85deg and sunny. I made the 50+ mile trek home with the plow and a/c on down the thruway for about 50 miles and water temp was 230 and trans temp 190. Couldn't believe it didn't overheat. I didn't have any other choice but drive it home with the plow on. Boy did I get some WTF looks :laughing: