1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2011 3500hd rattle at 30-35mph

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by dlcs, Nov 3, 2012.

1. dlcs

dlcs 2000 Club Member

My 2011 3500hd makes a rattle noise sometimes when your going 30mph and step on the accelerator. Sometimes you can barely hear thios rattle at low speeds or under a load like pulling at trailer. The truck only has 21,000 on the odometer. Could this be the transmission? Today while pulling up to a stop light, the truck down shifted really quick. Whenever I take it to the dealer, the truck never makes the rattle noise. I hate this, any suggestions?

2. Cosmic Charlie

Cosmic Charlie Senior Member

My 2011 HD 2500 does it also, just when under very light acceleration at 30 mph - never any other time

I think it's pinging, be it slightly, my truck has 48,000 miles and has done it off and on since new ...

Try premium gas, I haven't because I'm not worried about it - I think these engines have knock sensors (that advance the timing) and that is just one spot (in rpm & trans gear) that isn't perfect.

The down shift thing is normal - mine will do that once in a great while also - its just not as smooth as the old 4 speed automatics - these trans are fully computerized - you will also notice that when they down shift when your gradually slowing down the computer bumps up the rpms a hair to smooth it out ... but not perfect all the time ..

At least thats my belief ...

3. dlcs

dlcs 2000 Club Member

Would the pinging be more prevelant when pulling a trailer up a hill? I'm think your right about the pinging, going to try a higher octane gas today and see if it helps. Thanks!

4. Cosmic Charlie

Cosmic Charlie Senior Member

There are 2 knock sensors - one for each bank

I have never had a code show so I'm guessing all is good ... for me anyway ... so far