1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2011 3500hd no low beam lights

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by kyle1710, Oct 17, 2011.

1. kyle1710

kyle1710 Member
    from ohio

Hi, I need some help. I installed my 4 year old pro plus on my new 2011 3500hd and everything works except for the low beam headlights. I have the 3 port mod with 3 plug. I've read through some other threads and those solutions are not working for me. The connectors at the headlight are not reversible like in years past. Any ideas?

Kyle

Last edited: Oct 17, 2011
  2. Western1

Western1 Senior Member
    from MI.

Sounds like a configuration problem. Check the mechanics guide on westerns website or wait for someone else to chime in. What did the harness come off of? There is a configuration plug on the #1 harness you could try switching it.

3. 06Sierra

06Sierra PlowSite.com Addict
    from Maine

What was the plow on? You can't plug the truck light to plow harness backwards to see if it will work?

4. kyle1710

kyle1710 Member
    from ohio

I don't know where to find the mechanics guide on westerns website. Are you talking about the installation manual? The harness came off of a 2003 F450, originally it was on a 2006 2500hd, I have just used a new light harness for each truck I put it on. I don't know anything about a configuration plug.

The plow came off of a 2003 F450, I just bought a new light harness for it for the new truck.

5. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

The only configuration plug on the three port isolation module is for the signals. This cannot be your problem. Your problem I am sure is resolved by flipping the plugs that used to connect from the original truck harness to the bulbs but now plugs into the Western headlamp harness. These plugs ARE reversible and are the cause of your problem. Pull your truck lights out again if you have to and find the truck wires for the low beams. Flip them over and you will see that your plow low beams will work. If both sides are dead then you have to flip both plugs. I hope you have easy access to your plugs, some GMs are a real pain in the butt to get at especially on the driver's side because of the battery etc. I sometimes pull the grill off at the top and reach in through there. On the 2012 GMs they don't even show you how to change the driver's bulb in the owner's manual and if you take it to GM they will charge you for an hour or more to change if for you. Never the less, that is your problem.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2011
  6. kyle1710

kyle1710 Member
    from ohio

Now I understand. The only crappy part is that these are a huge pain to get to. I have to take off the top that covers the radiator, the grill, and part of the front wheel well to get to the lights. Whoever at GM designed the headlight access on these trucks needs to be shot. Thank you very much for your help.

7. mishnick

That's why GM charges so much to replace a bulb. I wonder what happend to those headlamps that had the two L shaped pins holding them in. They were an awsome GM design. I can't understand why they discontinued them. I can only guess that the dealerships weren't making any money changing bulbs.

8. Western1

Western1 Senior Member
    from MI.

So much for simplicity!

9. JTPlowDog

JTPlowDog Junior Member
    from N/A

MISHNICK is correct. HB3/HB11 plug-in harness is a reversible plug. You have to determine whether you have a negative common or psoitive common. Then match your common wires from OEM plug to Western's common plug.

10. mishnick

I have never checked for common anything, if it doesn't work I flip it over, if it works leave it as is. There are only two possibilities so it's a 50/50 crap shoot. I always leave the headlamps accessible and hook everything else up so you can plug in the lights and test them before you actually attach the plow. I always build the truck side before I complete the plow, this way the plow lights are not attached to the plow so you can just set them in the engine compartment and have comfortable access to the truck lights and plugs. The headlight plug is what activates the isolation module so the truck will think the plow is there even though it is not physically. At this point the plow lights will come on, switch between high and low beam to test that everything work. Depending on your luck sometimes all both low and both high will work but generally something doesn't work. Whatever does not work has to be flipped, that's it.

11. kyle1710

kyle1710 Member
    from ohio

So I finally got around to reversing those plugs today, of course it worked. I only had to take the radiator cover off to get to them fortunately. Thank you all for your help!

12. mishnick

Good to hear it worked out for you, sucks that you had to take the thing apart again. But now it works right so pray for snow!